The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 8, 2023, 02:52 PM   #1
FITASC

Ammo, powder increases coming

Saw this on another gun forum:

From Newsweek:
Vista Outdoor, a parent company to many firearms businesses, told Newsweek that it will substantially increase its ammunition prices due to "an anticipated global shortage of gunpowder."
The Minnesota-based company confirmed the authenticity of a December 1 letter sent to customers that it would go ahead with an across-the-board increase of its ammunition and gunpowder prices on January 1.

"Due to world events our suppliers have notified us of unprecedented demand for and an anticipated global shortage of gunpowder, and thus has increased our prices substantially," Vice President of Sales, Sporting Products Brett Nelson said in the letter. "We must therefore raise our pricing to help offset those increases."

Companies that will increase their prices include Remington, Alliant Powder, CCI, Federal, SEVI-Shot and Speer. The following increases include:

Shotshell: 1-7 percent
Rifle: 1-7 percent
Handgun: 1-5 percent
22LR/Shorts: 1-5 percent
WMR/HMR: 1-7 percent
Primers: 5 percent
Alliant Powder: 10 percent (limited availability).

It is all Vista. I am sure, besides profit, two major war zones and a host of gov't agencies buying up millions of rounds have made scarcities a realty. Stock up when and while you can
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 8, 2023, 09:52 PM   #2
rc

While this is a concern, the price of primers seems to be what is most limiting.
Old December 9, 2023, 05:23 AM   #3
ballardw

Tongue-in-cheek I might ask what you buy regularly that you don't expect a 1 to 7% increase for in the next year.

The government is trying to get inflation "down to 2 percent". Which sort of implies everything is going up more than that until they succeed.
Old December 9, 2023, 09:39 AM   #4
rc

All the endless spending is going to continue the erosion of the dollar. It's basic economics.
Old December 10, 2023, 08:51 PM   #5
snoeproe

I’ve been watching smokeless powder prices closely as of late. Smokeless powder prices have started coming down very recently.