The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 14, 2001, 12:16 AM   #1
Bullmoose

870 action job?

Do 870's respond nicely to smoothing the action? My 2 stock ones work just great, but would like my tactical to be the best that it can be w/o trading it in on a $1000+ model from Wilson, Vang, etc... The only changes that I have made are adding a 2 shot mag extension on my 18", a tactical sling and I ordered a mount for a Red Dot that I already have thinking that it might be better both in low light and 100 yard slug scenarios that I will have taking the Front Sight course later this year. Any recommendations for a Orange Co, Ca smith? Thanks.
PS: any problems with an Express model compared to a Wingmaster so far as reliability?
Old June 14, 2001, 02:56 AM   #2
Romulus

Bullmoose, when I last visited the Vang website and looked at the decked out shotguns they sell, they start with the Express model...

There is no reason in my mind for believing that an Express model is somehow less reliable. I own an Express and a Police Magnum, and I keep the Express bedside, not the Police...
Old June 14, 2001, 07:05 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Run a coupla thousand rounds through that 870. It'll be smooth.

To speed things up, break it down as far as you can for cleaning. Go over all of the action bars and parts with a crockstick, turning those 90 degree angles into radiused ones. Clean obsessively and then lube with something like moly grease, wipe on/wipe off Karate Kid Style.

While you're in the middle of this, take the trigger group to a smith that is fecally cohesive and have HIM, not you, put a 3-4 lb trigger on it.

Reassemble, test fire and shuck it a few times. If still a little resistant, place one drop of CLP on the action bars where they enter the receiver and rack it a few times. Voila!! Your shotgun's done...
Old June 14, 2001, 10:39 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Musta needed a bit more coffee this AM. I left a step out...

Once you have the weapon apart, find the shiny wear marks and stone them with a hard Arkansas stone like machinists use, or use Jeweler's Rouge on a felt wheel to buff all the marks a bit. Then lube, and you'll have a slick shucker.