The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 18, 2018, 10:13 AM   #76
davidsog

Here is how to check the headspace on a G3/HK-91/PTR-91:

Feeler gauge, flip the weapon over and stick it in the thru the magazine well. No special tools, no disassembly required.

Here is the AR15 series. Depending on the manufacturer, the AR10 series will be similar.

We need to disassemble the weapon and reassemble the bolt carrier group without installing the extractor.

Special Tools - Headspace Go gauge and Headspace NO-GO gauge

We also need an extra bolt to confirm a NO-GO test is not a false positive.

That is some not so cheap equipment and much more effort than flipping weapon over and sticking a standard feeler gauge thru the mag well.
Old January 18, 2018, 10:24 AM   #77
agtman

Still recommend a CMP M1 "Special" in .308.

Obligatory pic attached ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (203.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by agtman; January 18, 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 18, 2018, 11:55 AM   #78
davidsog

Quote:
Obligatory pic attached ...
Ahhh...gun -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-!!

Got two M1 Garands. One is a CMP in the safe the other is a range toy. Highly recommend the Navy .308 inserts. Got one and shoot it often.

I am looking at the James River Arsenal BM-59 new builds. As I understand it, They are making their own receivers to Beretta specs. I would have bought one a while back but was waiting to hear any complaints. So far it is living up to JRA's reputation and is a fine quality rifle.

It is going to be my next purchase.

The magazines are expensive but as range candy the weapon cannot be beat. Not saying the Italians have been military powerhouses since Julius but they sure got that rifle right.

In my opinion, the BM-59 is what the M-14 should have been.
Old January 18, 2018, 04:56 PM   #79
ronl

I have an M1A and a CMMG MK3 CBR. Both are excellent platforms, but mine are set up differently for different purposes. The M1A is very accurate, and is basically a stock loaded SS model with a few mods, such a good bedding job, titanium nitride piston and hooded NM sight. I like it that way. It is a good all-around rifle. The CMMG has a 16" barrel, which does lose a bit in velocity, but its shorter length makes it much handier. It is more refined than the M1A due to the fine trigger and ease of scoping/ adding attachments. What the CBR gives up in velocity it makes up for in versatility. It is also an accurate rifle when fed a good diet of what it likes. I honestly could not say get one over the other, as they both serve a purpose. Both have been extremely reliable. Just figure out just what you want the rifle for and see which one fits the bill better.
Old January 28, 2018, 09:17 PM   #80
saiga21308

go with my 308 saiga https://image.ibb.co/mUrV6w/SANY0002.jpg
you can roll around in the snow or mud and it will keep on ticking like a Timex

Tags
ar-10 , fal , m1a