The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 1, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
HungryHunter

Just Any Old Mosin

Hi everyone. First CnR post. Long story short I saw a post with the link to biggorillagunworks, can't remember the user, (I'm sure you all know him), and loved everything I saw. I've been visiting that site everyday since. Only hitch is I don't know anything about Mosins other than origin/caliber. Also that I'm getting one..

So

If I'm going to buy such a beautiful stock I want the best rifle I can get. Not "best" in terms of vs other rifles, but in terms of mosins. Which brings me to probably what is a stupid.question, but hoping to learn something. Is there anything I should look for in a mosin other than a visual inspection for wear/tear? I.e. serial number, year stamped? I would imagine anything closer to 1945 the better right? Anyway, would appreciate any help. Or even a history lesson. Thanks guys.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Darren007

Any and everything you could want to know about the Mosin Nagant. Enjoy!

http://62x54r.net/
Old November 1, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3
HungryHunter

Darren, wow! Amazing, thanks.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:46 PM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
. Is there anything I should look for in a mosin other than a visual inspection for wear/tear?
Look for matching numbers/arsenal symbols ..... I thought I had a very nice deal on Tula Hex recievered gun .... till i found a bunch of parts marked with a triangled arrow ..... parts gun. Upon closer inspection, it had been counter-bored, too.

Seems to shoot ok, but I paid more for it than the all matching and in much better shape '42 Izshevsk ......

Quote:
I.e. serial number, year stamped? I would imagine anything closer to 1945 the better right? Thanks guys.
Actually, the dates from 41-44 thend to be rougher than 45- by then, the Rus were winning, or had won (Germany surrendered 8 May, '45) the 1930's guns I have seen have much nicer finishes ...
Old November 1, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
HungryHunter

Ok, good info to know thanks jimbo. Good info. Love the history part too.
Old November 1, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6
tahunua001

actually you want farther from 45. wartime production was so frenzied there was virtually no quality control. you have the least chance of getting good accuracy and a high chance of horribly atrocious tool marks. the hex receivers are more sought after but may require some extra fitting should you decide to go with the gorilla stock.
Old November 2, 2013, 06:41 AM   #7
bill-may

1940 and older receiver is stronger than 1941 and newer.
Old November 2, 2013, 06:56 AM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
1940 and older receiver is stronger than 1941 and newer.

Even the war time actions are mighty strong-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiXFyIbOZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bzls73WH7w

Considering they filled the case with 2400 and it did not come apart ...... and once they cleaned the destroyed case out of the chamber, it still worked!

They did manage to sieze the bolt up with a charge of 47.0 grains of "range trash"- the dust made of unburned powder swept up off the floor of their indoor range..... but the gun still held together.

Compare that to the pix of the double charge of blue dot they blew the 257 WBY apart elsewhere here.....

Last edited by jimbob86; November 2, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old November 2, 2013, 09:22 AM   #9
tobnpr

Well, thanks for the compliment...

Depends how you define "best"...

Collectors, are interested in many aspects other than "condition"- including bore.
Although that's still very important, rarity of a particular model/date/location of manufacture all factor in to it's value, and collectability.

The nice thing about an aftermarket stock (made by anyone...) is that you can retain the original configuration of even a very collectible rifle- place it into an epoxy/pillar bedded stock, and feed it some quality factory or handloaded ammo to see what it can really do. And when you're done with that range or hunting trip, place it back into your collection in it's original stock. Of course, this is only when the rifle isn't modified by drilling/tapping a scope mount- which I wholeheartedly discourage for rifles with real collectible value (one of my stocks is specifically designed for an optic and is not compatible with the iron sights because of the high comb- so keep that in mind)

If you're looking for one that shoots well, and you get the opportunity to inspect before purchase, look for a bore that has lands (rifling) that are sharp-edged and well defined, and no (or very little) pitting. The crown should be free of gouges/nicks, although that's easily fixed with a crowning tool, if need be.

If you're ordering online, see if you can specify "handpick" for bore condition- you could care less if the stock is firewood. Some of the best I've gotten are re-arsenaled rifles, that are typically available for sale. The "wartime" manufactures may be rough in the tooling department- but again, in this instance collectability and appearance may not matter to you as long as it's got a pristine bore.

Good luck, feel free to email me though the website if I can be of any help.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #10
HungryHunter

Thanks for all the replies, internet is slow and haven't had a chance to watch the videos. Looking forward to it though. Tobnpr, you're very welcome. Your stocks are beautiful. I have always had rifles and thoughr " I'd like to put a different stock on there." Not ," that's such a nice stock I need to buy a rifle to fit it." I should be in touch soon via your website
. Thanks.

Anyway appreciate all the advice, and links.