The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 19, 2012, 03:34 AM   #1
hoho_leung

Purchasing handgun in California

Hi all,

I just purchased my second handgun. This store charged me the gun plus $25 background check plus $5 admission fee. I never heard about that I am supposed to pay admission fee, so I asked the salesman. He said, "I have been working here for many years, you think I am fool." Well, I think he tried to fool me. I double checked my receipt for the first handgun. I wasn't charged for the admission fee. What do you guys think?
Old October 19, 2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm not a CA lawyer, but I've never heard of an "admission fee" in CA, nor of any store charging one. I think you got taken.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:31 AM   #3
efield

Unfortunately I live in Kali as well and have made purchases for handguns many times here in the last few years. I was charged $25.00 for DROS (dealer record of sale) with each one but never an "admission fee" or any other fee for that matter........admission of what or to where I wonder?
Old October 19, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4
tipoc

There is DROS and state tax. That's it. No admission fee is legally charged by any stores anywhere in the U.S. that I've ever heard of.

Did the store write on the receipt, "Admission Fee" ?

If it was me I'd return to the store with the receipt and ask for an explanation of the charge. Maybe have a friend with you as a witness. Be polite and calm. Ask to speak to the owner. Get an explanation of the charge. If they cannot explain it ask for your money back.

tipoc
Old October 19, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
hoho_leung

Yes.. it did say admission fee.. They tried to fool me. I will ask the money back and if they don't, I will contact my credit card company..
Old October 19, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
BrokenBottles

Yeah, that's some B.S. stuff. A lot of gun stores(read: crappy gun store eployies) try to screw people over out here because they think no one in California knows anything about guns aside from them.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:59 PM   #7
sigcurious

Quote:
The State's DROS fee is $19.00 which covers the costs of the background checks and transfer registry. There is also a required $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return, or return from pawn, the dealer may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a "dealer fee" and not misrepresented as a state fee. In the event of a private party transfer, the firearms dealer may additionally charge a fee of $10 per firearm transferred.

When settling on the purchase price of a firearm and before completing the transaction, you may want to ask the dealer to disclose and identify any and all fees he/she is charging to complete the transaction.
You definitely got taken, the issue will be determining if you have recourse or not. The excerpt above is from the CA-DOJ faq, however it does not make clear if additional fees have to be listed as "dealer fee" or merely listed distinctly from the state imposed fees.

You could give the CA-DOJ a call, (916) 227-7527, they can probably clarify if the dealer is simply being underhanded or doing something unlawful.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:55 AM   #8
propforce

I used to live in Kali and have bought several guns. I recalled they did charged me $5 for something other than the DROS fee. It was not called the "admission fee" per se. I will check my receipts and see when I return home (away on TDY).