The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1
CrossIL

Holster 1911

I have a SW1911E and I was wondering what type of holster to get for general range use? I was looking at a Bianchi 7 Shadow 2 but wasn't sure if I should get one with out the strap?
Old January 14, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
hnl.flyboy

My holster for around the house and range is a Safariland plastic holster with the thumb button/lever release thingie. Cost me $40.
Old January 14, 2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Adamantium

I don't care for a strap for walking around a range. I got a safari land holster and have been really happy with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169...omposite-black
Old January 15, 2012, 10:58 AM   #4
cal_h

another option :

ht tp://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wCarbon-Fiber-Finish,1144,1410.htm

Old January 18, 2012, 04:48 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

1911a1 series holsters; brands...

John Moses Browning's 100 year old warhorse has many US fans & active users.

Depending on your budget, likes & uses, there are many top 1911a1 holsters you can obtain.
Check out these popular US makers; Don Hume, Safariland, Blackhawk, El Paso Saddlery, Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, Bulman Gunleather, Greg Kramer/Kramer Gunleather, Bianchi-intl, Alessi, Blade-Tech, COM Holsters, Highnoon Holsters.
Many gun owners like horsehide & exotic skins. A regular polymer or Kydex rig from COM, Blade-Tech or the Blackhawk SERPA could work fine for general wear. The milspec/NATO Bianchi M92 series nylon holster could do well for field/outdoor use. The SERPA is decent for added security. The regular open style is great too.
Please know that many custom shops can take months to fill orders. Quality takes time.
Old January 18, 2012, 05:13 PM   #6
3kgt2nv

I use a desaints speed scabbard holster. its fitted and molded leather and holds the 1911 really nice. full trigger cover and high back side leather makes it good for all day / everyday wear. not great for cc but good for range use. since its leather it will also conform to body shape unlike a full kydex or plastic holster.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

If you are just using this around the range, I'd go with an open top. For CCW I generally prefer a retention strap.
Old January 19, 2012, 08:36 AM   #8
LSnSC

If you just want something for the range, an Uncle Mikes Kydex is pretty good for not much coin.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Nick S.

Holsters?

The ranges where I live want all firearms brought to the firing line cased & then put back in the case when leaving. When not shooting, all fire arms are placed on the shooting bench pointing down range, unloaded, clips removed, and actions open. I bought holsters for my pistols & never got to use them. It's very hard to get a full carry permit here.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:17 AM   #10
3kgt2nv

nicks where in NY do you live? sounds like NYC
Old January 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Nick S.

About 30 miles east of NYC. Most people who have pistol permits have the "Sportsman Permit". We can only cary it to & from a range in a holster but once you get there you must case it to the firing line & back to your car.That's the rule for the range. And if it's in a holster, it must be concealed.