The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2018, 10:51 AM   #26
Northof50

GWpercele - Love the Ed'sRed. Been using it for more than 15years. Curious, what issues have you had with synthetic ATF? I haven't tried it, but do use Amsoil gear lube in my mixture. Have never had an issue.
Old January 16, 2018, 01:44 PM   #27
cw308

I clean my dies after the warm outdoors benchrest season ( rifle) an indoors cold months (pistol) I take them apart spray them down with Ballistol , let them sit for 1/2 an hour wipe them clean , spray again an wipe the excess off . Ready for another season .
Old January 16, 2018, 04:12 PM   #28
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof50 View Post
GWpercele - Love the Ed'sRed. Been using it for more than 15years. Curious, what issues have you had with synthetic ATF? I haven't tried it, but do use Amsoil gear lube in my mixture. Have never had an issue.
Heard of several instances where the poster says the ATF will not dissolve , it stays separated ????
every time I've made it with standard GM Dexron ATF everything dissolved into one mix. a nice red color.....the only thing I can think of why the ATF doesn't dissolve is they were using synthetic ATF and the synthetic stuff might not dissolve, hence the warning to follow the original instructions...no synthetic ATF.

I have never tried Armsoil gear lube in the mixture, the gear oil would just add a little lubricant and body . For bore cleaner I just stick with the original blend and I use the ATF /Kerosene 50/50 mix for a Ed's Red compatible CLP and gun oil ...which works very well . The reason I like this stuff is it works and the boutique cleaners/lubricants are so darn pricey....and sometimes I question just how exotic these "wonder Lubes" are .
Us po' folks have to make do sometimes. A decent bore cleaner for less than $20.00 a gallon....been a long time fan .
Gary
Old January 16, 2018, 07:34 PM   #29
Geezerbiker

I've been making Ed's Red since the Fidonet days before the internet was a household word. I've never bothered with the lanolin but it works well without it. I've never made more than a quart at a time. I use acetone as a cleaning solvent at work so I take out 6 to 8 ounces to make a batch of Ed's Red as needed...

Tony
Old January 17, 2018, 11:31 AM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Since lanolin is used as case sizing lube, instead of just protecting the hands, it will do a little of what the grease does, increasing the lubrication effect of the Ed's Red. I would guess grease and lanoline might best be left out if you are going into very cold weather.

The base oil in a synthetic is the same thing as natural oil, but much more narrowly refined than the standard grade. I don't see why it would separate out of Ed's Red unless it has an additive that's causing that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 17, 2018, 12:10 PM   #31
HiBC

I did a little research and came across this stuff.
Its lanolin based .Seems to be well distributed. Might be worth a try.

https://www.fluid-film.com/
Old January 17, 2018, 02:19 PM   #32
gwpercle

What do you think could be the reason for the guys mix to separate....he said he wished it would mix and he had to keep shaking it up when using it. Every time I've mixed a batch there has been no separation whatsoever ...but I follow the instructions ingredients .
We have ATF, Acetone, Mineral Spirits and Kerosene... my first guess was Synthetic ATF....I wonder what it could be ? Any thoughts ?
The reason I ask is I don't want to do whatever he did and have a separation problem.
Gary
Old January 17, 2018, 02:56 PM   #33
F. Guffey

HIBC, I thought about purchasing 5 gallons but figured I would be out of the mood by the time I found a price.

F. Guffey
Old January 17, 2018, 06:31 PM   #34
629StealthHunter

Hey everyone. I just want to thank you for the great advice so far and give an update. After an over night soaking in the alcohol, the surface rust and some of the gunk was removed. I followed up with some various bore brushes and got them looking pretty good. I then put them in my hornady sonic cleaner for a few cycles with hornady one shot cartridge case formula and they came out like new. After they dried I started sizing cases. They work great.
Old January 18, 2018, 05:08 PM   #35
DaleA

Thanks for coming back with the end of the story.
Old January 20, 2018, 12:30 AM   #36
drain smith

I use my sonic cleaner but I use the small pan for gun parts.It holds about 6 cups.I use 2 cups of distilled vinegar, 2 cups of distilled water, and a cup of dawn dish soap.

The first thing I do is set the cleaner to 140°. I then put in my broke down dies in the pan and run for 1/2 hour. After the run, I rinse with distilled water and the dies go into another pan with about 2 cups of Hopps #9 and run for another 1/2 hour. I then wipe and dry the dies spray down with 1 shot and reassemble.