The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 2, 2018, 12:48 AM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
Remind me not to complain about 28 degrees and sunny. I don't think I could survive in Maine.
It has it's benefits--at least that's what I keep telling myself It is pretty interesting to see how the gun and ammo's performance seems to change at zero or lower--there seems to be a definite drop off in the efficiency of the DI gas system's ability to reliably cycle the ammo depending upon the powder/charge weight that I haven't seen at higher temps--though it could also be related to the rifle length system used on the grendel 20" barrel.
Old January 2, 2018, 06:45 PM   #27
stagpanther

I keep a spare set of sprinco springs on hand and swapped out for a H0 yellow reduced power spring--worked like a charm and everything worked flawlessly across a wide range of loads today--again shooting in near zero temperatures. I'm actually burning with curiosity to see if the gun goes back to "normal" with a regular carbine spring once temps climb back up around freezing. I'm still trying to figure what might account for the reduced cycling performance--if in fact it's a function of the cold.
Old January 2, 2018, 10:59 PM   #28
ed308

I wouldn't be surprised if at least partially due to the temperature. I remember traveling on business in Vermont back in the 90s and decided to lay over for ski weekend. The temperature was below 0 the morning I tried to start my car to head to the resort. It seemed like it took a minute for my radio to warm up where it could play! I decided that day that I wasn't a fan of cold weather. One or two runs was enough for me before hitting a hot tub with a beer.
Old January 3, 2018, 12:16 AM   #29
FrankenMauser

Still following along, stagpanther.
Busy month. Even busier week.
I'll have comments to add eventually.
Old January 3, 2018, 03:22 AM   #30
stagpanther

I suspect there's a physics thing going on--don't know if metal components--even lubricants--might expand ever so slightly in the cold causing additional drag--or perhaps even something altering the gas timing/force due to the cold??

We're supposed to get a historic nor'easter storm tomorrow--the pressure center is looking like it will dive to around the same low pressure as hurricane Sandy had--with additional feet of snow--and immediately following the storm super-cold air from the arctic circle/Siberia will trail in. If I/my house make it through OK--I'll try to get out for some more "extreme" testing.
Old January 8, 2018, 08:51 AM   #31
stagpanther

Last tests were once again flawless and the "sweet zone" charges are all under MOA--I'll come back to this later in the spring but she's a great shooter--I think I made the right decision ditching the andersen cheapo type 1 components