The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2017, 09:50 AM   #26
Fishbed77

Quote:
What I find is that often those who started shooting Sigs in the Cohen era are happy with them and believe that they are still premium product and that they are getting good value for the money. People who have shot Sigs for 20+ years do not see it that way.
That pretty much sums it up.

To those that got into new SIGs during the Cohen era, do yourself a favor. Save up $400-500, go on Gunbroker and find a surplus West German-made P6 or P226 (even a thoroughly-used example will still have a lot of life left in it). The difference in quality is marked.
Old November 16, 2017, 11:34 AM   #27
presspics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
That pretty much sums it up.

To those that got into new SIGs during the Cohen era, do yourself a favor. Save up $400-500, go on Gunbroker and find a surplus West German-made P6 or P226 (even a thoroughly-used example will still have a lot of life left in it). The difference in quality is marked.
That's a crock of crap. I was buying SIGs back in 1987 when the average shooter still didn't know what the hell a SIG was. My first SIG was a European Mag Release P220 in .38 Super. I'm not a fan of the new P2xx Series guns mainly because I liked the older folded sheet steel slides. They were lighter.

The 1911's are fantastic. It's also BS that the external extractor is problematic. They had a very short run of bad extractors. The rest are good to go. Also, comparing the current 1911 to the original GSR is ridiculous. The GSR was made of parts from multiple vendors and needed to be hand fit which wasn't always the case. It sounds to me like someone just doesn't like Cohen..
Old November 16, 2017, 04:57 PM   #28
Iron bottom

They also made a run of bad internal extractors on the P220. I know because I have one. Would someone please tell us about that one?
Old November 16, 2017, 05:23 PM   #29
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron bottom View Post
They also made a run of bad internal extractors on the P220. I know because I have one. Would someone please tell us about that one?
What year was the pistol made? I bet it has a stainless steel slide. They changed the slide from a lighter folded carbon steel slide to a milled staineless steel slide which changed the weight. They tweaked the existing design but did not redesigned it and the older design failed. They could never get the tension right.

They eventually switched it the external extractor which had its own set of issues before the quirks were worked out.
Old November 16, 2017, 06:02 PM   #30
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Well... except for the SIG 556, SIG 556xi, early Cohen-era US-made P-series pistols, etc...

In that price range, I'd be looking hard at the Colt Rail Gun. More forged parts, better QC, and better resale (though I never sell my guns). Right now Colt is making some of the best 1911s in their history, and their prices are lower than they've been in many years.
I'm looking at those, too. But they recently did away with the dark rail guns. Now all they make are stainless ones, unless you want the considerably more expensive Colt Combat Unit Rail Gun (what a mouthful) with stupid looking grips.
Old November 16, 2017, 06:20 PM   #31
Fishbed77

Quote:
That's a crock of crap.
That defensive nature is pretty much par for the course for folks who are heavily invested in the US-made SIGs. No one is saying the current pistols are bad (for example - the West German pistols are much more prone to rust than the new ones). But the attention to detail and QA/QC is not the same.

Quote:
Also, comparing the current 1911 to the original GSR is ridiculous. The GSR was made of parts from multiple vendors and needed to be hand fit which wasn't always the case. It sounds to me like someone just doesn't like Cohen..
Again, you are confirming exactly what folks complain about with the US-made SIGs. This kind of stuff simply didn't happen with the West German or Swiss guns. And that's not even taking into account the issues with the US-made rifles.
Old November 16, 2017, 09:44 PM   #32
Iron bottom

WVsig; it was a Stainless Steel Elite. I don't remember the date of purchase. Probably in the late 90s.

I haven't bought a Sig since. I was thinking of buying a 320 model. Then the drop problem surfaced. No mas.

Last edited by Iron bottom; November 16, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old November 17, 2017, 05:16 PM   #33
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron bottom View Post
WVsig; it was a Stainless Steel Elite. I don't remember the date of purchase. Probably in the late 90s.

I haven't bought a Sig since. I was thinking of buying a 320 model. Then the drop problem surfaced. No mas.
Sounds about right on the timeframe. They had lots of issues in the very late 90s and early 2000's with the stainless P220s.
Old November 17, 2017, 05:35 PM   #34
Old Stony

I've always loved Sig quality and have owned many of them over the years, but I really never cared for their 1911's. I bought one expecting better accuracy and performance that it gave me, and the big squared slide was a turn off for me too. I don't have anything against their external extractor, just don't like the rest of the gun. I own a S&W 1911, and it's never given me any problems and I am very fond of it. Basically I like Sigs and own a variety of 1911's....just not theirs.
Old November 17, 2017, 10:02 PM   #35
Americanpatriot

I had a Sig 1911. Good gun but I think a better buy would be a Dan Wesson
Old November 18, 2017, 10:57 AM   #36
David R

I read a lot of stuff. No one mentioned SIG has a lifetime warranty.

I went with my daughter to purchase a 9mm in 1911 configuration. The guy behind the counter told us we don't want a Kimber because it had mim parts. they were junk. I asked what was going to break? He had no answer. She bought a two tone 9mm with a 5" barrel. Zero problems so far. Accuracy has not been determined yet because all she buys is cheap ball. She shot bowling pins (steel) with it all summer. Zero Problems.

I am a mechanic and welder. What is wrong with MIM ? It works.

A hand fit pistol done by a professional would be great. Not enough professionals to turn out the volume, and price goes out the window.

David
Old November 18, 2017, 04:11 PM   #37
rt11002003

I owned two 1911 SIGs, both in .45ACP; a Target model and a MAXX. Both were excellent pistols. Not quite on the level of my STIs, but close. The STIs were more expensive; the current STIs seem to be even more expensive. Owned one DW; IMO it wasn't was good as either the SGIs, or the STIs.
Old November 18, 2017, 04:14 PM   #38
glockman55

Or the Sig Mosquito was a bad model..lol I have the sig 1911, .22lr and it shoots anything.. nice feel, full size 1911.. Cheap to practice with,,Attachment 106192

Last edited by glockman55; October 16, 2018 at 06:08 PM.