The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 10, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1
Texas Reb

Let's talk about oil

Not black powdered related, but thought we could talk about it since this isn't a plastic crowd.

First off, let me say I like my wood stocks. I just don't care for the look of plastic stocks. Matter of fact, I'd rather have a 2x4 attached to my gun as a plastic stock.

I've had my old break action 12g for quite awhile. I noticed a hairline crack in the side of my stock where it meets the receiver. That got me to wondering if maybe I'm the cause. Ever since I've had it, I have oiled it liberally with 3 in 1 oil. Metal and wood get a good wipe down with an oily rag after use. That's the only oil I've ever used. The gun was pretty old when it was given to me, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned in years past.

My question is. Is it possible the oil has weakened the stock over the years or do you suppose the 50 year old wood is just showing it's age?
Old November 10, 2017, 05:14 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Seen an example where an stock that was heavily oiled fell over with one piece falling off. That piece could not be glued back on because it was too impregnated wtih oil.
Old November 10, 2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Texas Reb

Gary,

Could be my case as well because when I got it many years ago the finish had already started to wear off in places.
Old November 10, 2017, 07:02 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Whatever you do, don't oil that stock in that area. I would remove the stock, dribble down Acraglas and then clamp it. Scrape off excess after 24 hours and see what you have.