The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 10, 2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Barnacle Brad

An abrupt halt!

Suddenly, my hunting season has come to a halt...well for deer and such as I can put in the freezer anyway. Along with that has come an arctic front that is pushing temps into the ten degree range over night, and yup, that white cold stuff is on the ground as well.

This reality has made me ponder what I am going to do to entertain myself indoors this winter?

I found a new double cavity .44 cal swc mould I forgot that I got last year, and I have a young lady interested in casting some bullets for her .357, so it would seem that the lead pot should see some heat one of these days.

There is quite a bit of meat in the freezer that needs to be ground and made into burger and sausage. There are some trout that need to be smoked, and a beef brisket to turn into pastrami also.

Then there is the annual maintenance to do on the hunting rifles. Ice fishing will be in the future, and I always look forward to eating and getting fat(ter) over the winter...

So what kind of activities will my brethren be occupying themselves with after the rifles and hand cannons are set aside this season?? (If anyone is fishing the Bahamas, feel free to keep that to yourself!)
Old November 10, 2014, 10:53 PM   #2
zach_

Find something to avoid the cabin fever. I remember my years up north. BBBBBRRRRRR. Stay Safe.
Old November 10, 2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Pheasant hunting till the end of the year, Rabbits till the end of February, Somewhere in there switch to ice fishing and if it's to cold to want to do any of that reloading and restocking inventory.
Old November 10, 2014, 11:11 PM   #4
hartcreek

I never put them away......Once we get snow at the cabin I fire up the crawler so I have a packed trail so I can walk without the crunch crunch and go after the yotes.
Old November 10, 2014, 11:13 PM   #5
Model12Win

Once it frosts a couple times I'll hit the squirrel fields so I can fill my pot and skillet with the wonderful meat of Los Ardilla!
Old November 11, 2014, 06:18 AM   #6
hooligan1

Man I will try to find a cheap rifle to work on and do a bunch of loading,,,,and some honey dos......coyotes if I get chance, walleye fishing if water gets right......and trim my beard!
Old November 13, 2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Husqvarna

well one weekend of moose hunting left

and there are always pigs

we often hunt deer with dogs in the winter, there are no deer tags or quotas here (but only roedeer so very small)

some nice easy birdhunting on skiis

fox and hares a few times if my mates dog has grown enough

and icefishing, dunno if you call it angling but we do, were you rig small rods and when the fish bites a flag pops up, in my youth we had small firecrackers that went of that was way more fun
Old November 13, 2014, 12:46 PM   #8
8MM Mauser

Man, hunting in Sweden sounds pretty awesome!

Once rifle season is over here it'll be all work and no play: I've absorbed additional responsibilities at work and am in my last year of college. Plus I have a 3 year old girl to entertain all winter.

I do want to get some winter-time hiking in though. I've never spent so much time indoors as the last year. I need to get outside more.
Old November 13, 2014, 01:17 PM   #9
psalm7

Late Winter fishing . Strippers , Waleye , Large and small mouth Bass . Always working on my prepps like reloading , putting in a garden . Shooting year round .
Old November 13, 2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Saltydog235

Our deer season run Sept. 1 until January 1 for rifle, you can hunt with a bow starting August 15. Still got a bit of time yet to kill goats, then we'll work on pigs, squirrels and birds. Maybe to a little cold weather fishing too if the grouper and big sea bass get in close.
Old November 13, 2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Deerhunter

Archery for deer opens up the first Saturday in September and it doesn't end until last weekend of April. Hope to chase some waterfowl at some point also. Then a little pig hunting thrown in.

I already have 3 deer in the freezer. I will hunt when I have time but the pressure is off since the freezer is full.

I just started getting back into fishing. Probably end up going more of that this year once April hits.
Old November 13, 2014, 05:10 PM   #12
Doyle

Husqvarna, don't forget about all those beautiful Swedish women to hunt in the sauna.
Old November 13, 2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Barnacle Brad

It looks like ice fishimg will begin earlier this year than expected. The Big Horn is nearly iced in. Below zero temps last night (-10) and no sudden end to this cold spell in sight.

I think I will load some varmint rounds for the 250 in the mean time...
Old November 16, 2014, 12:28 AM   #14
Colorado Redneck

Winter stuff to fight off cabin fever

Work every bit of brass and get it all ready for prairie doggin next spring. Winter dog shoots can be fun if you don't expect to shoot a lot, so a few days out on the Grasslands before the season closes.

Go to the indoor pistol range a couple times a week. Refinish the thumbhole stock on my 222 Remington. Load lots of pistol rounds.

Mama Santa Clause is going to buy me a Boyds stock for my .270 Winchester so when we get a warmer day without too much wind after Christmas take that to the range and see how it works with the new wood. Maybe do some load development for that rifle too.