The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
odugrad

10 round vs 15 round magazines

I just have a quick question. I recently two Sig MK 25s. One was $1050 and had three 15-round magazines. Another that was $899 and had three 10-round magazines. Is there a difference in the actual gun? Or are you paying more simply for a higher capacity magazine? Thanks.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:24 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Same store? Same model?
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 19, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
odugrad

Same store. Both were the Sig MK 25s. I didn't notice anything different other than the mag capacities. And the price.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
ScotchMan

That's weird. MSRPs for guns with 10 capacity "state compliant" mags are the same as their high capacity versions. Generally real life pricing goes that way too. It sounds like your store maybe couldn't get any of the high capacity versions from their distributor, so they went with the 10 round version and realize they will have trouble selling it in a free state, so they marked the price down.

I'd say that is an excellent bargain. You will want more magazines anyway down the line, so use the 10s at the range or whatever and save some money.

Or better yet, sell the 10 rounders to New Yorkers. We are paying ridiculous prices for 10 round magazines before the new law about mags goes into effect on April 15th. If you play your cards right you could end up getting a very good deal out of this.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old March 19, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Polinese

Could one have been used?
Old March 20, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6
biohazurd

If both are NIB then yeah get the one with the 10 rounders. You can always get higher cap mags.(Even though at this current time its a bit more time consuming.) Damn panic buyers!
Old March 20, 2013, 09:48 AM   #7
odugrad

There is a dealer in my area (Virginia) selling a CA compliant Sig MK 25 for $800. He says it won't sell well because it comes with three 10-round magazines instead of 15 and has a magazine safety. I'm seriously thinking about getting this. Do you think this is a good deal? Do you think I'll have trouble selling it in the future if I decide to?

Otherwise the CA compliant and regular MK 25 are identical.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:55 AM   #8
odugrad

Or would it be wiser to just pay the extra $150 and get a regular MK 25?
Old March 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Technosavant

IMO, for a $150 price difference, get the un-neutered one. Sig magazines tend to run in the $40-50 price range and you'd spend the price difference buying the proper sized magazines.

I'd like to see a bit more of a price break for getting one with mags that I'm not going to use all that much.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

First, my caveat: I don't know a great deal about Sig pistols, or the market for them.

With that out of the way . . .

As for the mag disconnect safety, there are some shooters for whom that's a deal-breaker. How many? I don't really know. Run a search on this board for the appropriate terms and you should be able to find some threads on it. That might give you an idea of how many gun owners like or dislike them, and how strongly they feel about it.

From reading prior posts, it sounds like it will accept 15-rounders. (I don't know enough about this model to say, from personal knowledge, whether it will or not.) Assuming that to be the case, I'd take the $800 one, with an eye to getting more & larger-capacity magazines later. First, though, I'd offer him a little less to see if the deal gets any better.

So there you have it: One Spats McGee original, largely uneducated opinion.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Dondor

Theory on the different price.

There is a gun store near where I live where I purchased a S&W 686+

They had 3 in the case, all 7 round, all 6" barrel.

One was $75 bucks less than the other 2. I inquired about the price difference. Response was that they have a standard markup and the cheaper one was a lower price than when they got the other 2.

I keep doing business with folks like that.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Venom1956

Yes actually I believe the 10 round ones are cheaper. I've purchased 2 guns that were limited to ten rounds for roughly 200 less then the standard cap. I did this because I already had the mags i need and sold the 10 rounders to someone that lived in a limited cap area for profit.

Win win.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug