The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2011, 03:57 PM   #26
RUT

It probably could be machined to accept chokes, but is it worth it? Plus, being a skeet gun I suspect it's a short barrel jobbie.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:03 PM   #27
oneounceload

Skeet constriction is .005. Many find that a Modified constriction, .020, to work better for 16 yard trap targets, with an Improved Modified or Full for Handicap targets.

Can you break 16 yard targets with a Skeet choke? Sure you can. Can you do it consistently over and over? Most likely not.

A second barrel can be had, or your skeet barrel can be threaded for chokes. Thread job will run any where from $50 - $150 or so, and then there are the chokes themselves, which can run any where from $35 to $135, depending on the brand.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:06 PM   #28
lawnboy

I was unclear in my most recent post. The club I will go to offers trap, skeet and 5 stand. I know that trap and skeet are not the same thing. I'm not 100% sure yet how they differ, but I know they do. I plan to try them all, with my basic Mossberg.

I was mentioning the 1100 as a gun I saw that I may have use for one day, should I like skeet, although I hear many skeet shooters don't use a skeet choke. It's all over my head for now.

I plan to try all 3 disciplines offered at my local club and go from there. I've been advised to screw an IC choke into my mossberg to start with and then listen to what the instructor tells me about changing.

The 1100 I saw was a fixed barrel no threads. I doubt it is modifiable by any normal means. Very nice highly polished wood stock and super clean. Used, but not a nick or ding on it. Basically looks just short of new. It was just a really nice looking gun that I thought looked inexpensive given the prices I'd been seeing for that model. It caught my eye.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old April 11, 2011, 04:22 PM   #29
zippy13

I hear many skeet shooters don't use a skeet choke. It's all over my head for now.
Skeet may be shot without a Skeet choke, but I'm unaware of any Skeet shooters who don't use Skeet chokes. My 1100 has two barrels one for Skeet the other for trap.
Old May 4, 2011, 05:10 PM   #30
lawnboy

Dammit!

I just had to reschedule the clay busting class for June 4th. My son has a makeup baseball game on Saturday. I'd just miss the game, but I'm the coach.

Dammit!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old May 4, 2011, 06:04 PM   #31
zippy13

lawnboy,

Sorry about your scheduling conflict. While waiting to tease the targets with your Mossberg, here are links to two .pdf downloadable brochures by Remington on Trap and Skeet shooting fundamental. They may answer many of your questions.
Old May 5, 2011, 02:51 AM   #32
TheKlawMan

Lawnboy, The downloadable pamphlets are really helpful. I am a beginner and had only glanced at them before, when Zipp13 pointed them out. This time I printed out the one on Trap and it clarifies a lot of things that people have been trying to get across to me.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:58 PM   #33
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1100s can last a very long time if some parts are replaced regularly, like the O ring and action spring. A good choice for an all around clays gun.

However, skeet chokes do best at skeet and other close range opps. Modified is a better choice for all around use, using cheap shells with small shot for close stuff and premium handicap trap loads with larger shot for WOD.

On an 1100, I'd want something like a 30" vent rib barrel that was choke tube capable as a dedicated clays gun. Chokes on hand would be something like Cylinder for skeet, LM for Sporting Clays, and Mod or IM for trap.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:31 PM   #34
Bucks Gun Shop

Lawnboy:

That 1100 (if it is a 12 gauge) that you mentioned in the other post will work very well for a trap gun... That is what I started with more than 30 years ago and would still be shooting if I didn't get the I'wantas for a new special purpose trap gun... The single biggest advantage to an auto loader for trap is that the action absorbes some of the recoil... Not a big deal when shooting a couple shots a day at passing birds... A very big deal when breaking 100 clays in an hour and half...

A couple things you might want to do is install a Graco adjustable pad so you can fit the gun to you... They make one that allows for length of pull, cant, and drop... You might also look into getting a mid-bead for your barrel... Will help with mounting the gun...

Other than that -- go have fun!!!
Old May 6, 2011, 01:48 AM   #35
TheKlawMan

Buck. His Mossberg's 28" barrel has a mid bead, but I see that you are talking about if he were to set an 1100 up for skeet.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:51 AM   #36
darkgael

Mossberg

For the last year, I have been shooting Trap singles once a week at the local Club. I have been using a Mossberg pump gun. As I have improved, I just last week picked up a BT-99.
There is nothing wrong with the Mossberg. I just wanted a dedicated Trap gun.
It had a VR 30" FC barrel. I suggest that that longer barrel may be a worthwhile addition to your Mossberg. You can buy one at Numrich Arms for $80.
Here's the link, if you are interested.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...00A&catid=8022

Pete
Old May 6, 2011, 10:05 AM   #37
zippy13

Pete, my friend, congratulations on the acquisition of the BT-99. I hope it works well for you.

Pete
Old May 6, 2011, 05:12 PM   #38
darkgael

yep

Thank you, Zippy my friend. Getting used to it now. It shoots differently than the Mossberg. I'll break 10 or 15 in a row and then miss three or four. Go figure.
Pete
Old May 6, 2011, 06:06 PM   #39
BigJimP

For what its worth guys ....I find a GraCoil ( or whatever system you like ) an asset on a Trap gun ...but not on games like Skeet or Sporting Clays ..where you tend to get some faster targets with more movement left or right ...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...3&d=1299018573

This GraCoil is on one of my Browning XT's ....

When I had a (Soft Touch system - similar to the GraCoil system on my Skeet gun) ...I felt like I was hesitating on the 2nd shot / or at least aware of its cycling time ...so I restocked the gun and got rid of the Soft Touch system.

I know Zippy likes his air cushion stock on his primary Skeet gun ..but I'm not sure its for everyone on a Skeet or Sporting Clays gun ... Before you invest in one on a Skeet or any general purpose or sporting clays gun ...I'd recommend you see if you can shoot one first...( that decision to get rid of it cost me almost $ 3,000 ) ...for the system and then restocking the gun ...
Old May 6, 2011, 06:18 PM   #40
BigJimP

Darkgael...,

The BT-99's and the older BT-100's are beautiful guns. I've had a BT-100 for 12 or 15 yrs I guess ....picked it up at an Estate Sale from a collector in Indiana - but I've never been able to get used to it ...with the swing charactgeristics being so different - so I went back to my Citori XT's with 32" barrels for Trap...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1294431515

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...5&d=1294431515

I hope you have better luck with yours ..../ mine is a 30" ...and I've tried everything including putting barrel weights on it ...but like you / I run a few targets ..then I miss 2 or 3 ...and that little voice starts whispering in my ear ...( the XT is in the safe...) ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shotguns 11-10-08 010.jpg (254.4 KB, 20 views)
Old May 6, 2011, 06:53 PM   #41
gunbuddy210

An auto will get ya confident, a double will get ya comfortable, and a pump will get ya noticed, AHHHHH!
Old May 7, 2011, 05:02 AM   #42
darkgael

clays

Quote:
An auto will get ya confident, a double will get ya comfortable, and a pump will get ya noticed
Great line.

BigJim: Thanks for the feedback. The 99 that I have has a 34" barrel. The whole thing is very different than the 30" Mossberg pump gun.
Pete
Old May 7, 2011, 10:22 PM   #43
wmeSha

Read up in the meantime.

If you have to wait for your class, you might read up on shotgunning in the meantime. I'm pretty sure the book that I came across in the library was "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science" by Brister.

I read it before I ever had my shotgun, and naturally I ignored everything it said the first time I went to shoot clays. I had an older friend with me, who has been shooting a very long time. After I'd put 5 or 10 rounds down field with modest success, he gently offered, "Would you like a lesson?"

I had enough sense to say yes, and you're already going to know the outcome. He told me exactly what I'd read in the book. And it helped. I probably don't get out regularly enough to be as proficient as I could be, but I'm better when I do things right.