The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Visaman

adding graphics to the stock of a howa 1500 Ranchland Compact

It has a black hogue over-molded stock.
I am planning to add the following graphics on the butt stock:

Do anyone know if thats possible, and what method is best ?

The phrase A furore normannorum libera nos domine translates to:
From the fury of the Northmen deliver us, O Lord.

This phrase is alleged to have been the litany of despair raised up in every medieval church and monastic institution, starting after the first Viking raid upon Britain and continuing during the years of Scandinavian attacks upon Western Christendom. It has been shown, however, that the phrase is apocryphal.

No 9th century text has ever been discovered containing these words, although numerous medieval litanies and prayers contain general formulas for deliverance against unnamed enemies. The closest documentable phrase is a single sentence, taken from an antiphony for churches dedicated to St. Vaast or St. Medard: Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et cutodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna, "Our supreme and holy Grace, protecting us and ours, deliver us, God, from the savage race of Northmen which lays waste our realms"

The Vikings (my ancestors) was justly feared throughout Europe as the Hammer of the North. While no known text actually documents the famous phrase, A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine, certainly the sentiment would have been appropriate and understood in a heartfelt way by people from Orkney to Paris, from Byzantium to the New World, from Britain to Rome...

A Heiðmǫrk ( old norse for Hedmark county )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedmark
Old January 25, 2011, 03:42 AM   #2
phydaux

"black hogue over-molded stock"

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand. What exactly is the stock made out of? Some kind of nylon/plastic?

On a wood stock it would be a piece of cake. There are several companies that do lazer engraving and can etch a design onto a wood gunstock.
Old January 25, 2011, 04:35 AM   #3
Visaman

Hogues page says:

OverMolded Stocks are constructed by molding a super strong, rigid fiberglass reinforced skeleton or "insert" that precisely fits the guns' action. This rigid skeleton is then OverMolded with a durable but soft synthetic elastomer (rubber). During the heat and extreme pressure of injection molding the elastomer adheres chemically as well as mechanically to the skeleton, resulting in a permanent bond between the rubber and the insert.
Old January 25, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Joat

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Joat
Old January 25, 2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Visaman

I think that a stencil can perhaps be used.
Paint should perhaps be durable enough.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Joat

Either a stencil or some of that "high tack" vinyl graphics material (3M Series 7125 Cast Vinyl) that they use on race car logos.

Joat