The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 7, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1
frogsaw

1100 and 11-87 Problems

Hello All,

I noticed tonight that the forend of my 11-87 is cracked on the portion of the wood that rests between the barrel and the magazine. I thought this was strange so I got out my father's old 1100 and it has done or is doing the same thing. I didn't want to pull on it too much and make things worse. Is this a warrantied repair for Remington. I assume no, because these two shotguns are fairly old. Can the forends be repaired? I would just replace the forends, but the 1100 has a checkering pattern that seems to no longer be available, and what is to say that this won't happen again in a few years if I replace them? Any help is appreciated.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
zippy13

Back in the late 80s, the first 11/87 I handled had what appeared to be a brass reinforcement pin in the forward portion of the forearm. My 1100-Trap model came with a fiberglass(?) reinforcement bonded along the trough bottom of its forearm. It seems Remington is well aware of the cracking problem. Contact Remington about your "defective" guns and ask what they can do for you, the worst they can do is nothing.