The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 24, 2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Dano4734

I like gun leather

There I said it. I bought newfangled plastic holsters, soft cushy holsters but nothing beats gun leather from a well made source for my handguns. No more kydex for this old man. Plus it doesn’t take the finish off my gun
Old October 25, 2018, 12:59 AM   #2
10-96

I'm right there with ya Dano. I like leather too. I'm not terribly impressed when folks say "But __________ is so much easier to care for and maintain!" Or "But leather retains water and will destroy your firearm in exactly 3.749 seconds!" An awful lot of firearms have spent an awful lot of years in leather. Once was the time when "taking care of your gear" meant taking care of the whole kit and caboodle, not just the firearm. I rather suspect a great many firearm photos that have been posted here as 'Daily carries for 40 years!' have rarely left the safe, but I suppose that is another argument.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 25, 2018, 02:51 AM   #3
bamaranger

Skeeter

Skeeter Skelton had some quote to the effect that "my holster maker is more important to me than (?)..." but I can't quite remember the rest.
Old October 25, 2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Dano4734

Amen my brothers
Old October 25, 2018, 09:36 AM   #5
aarondhgraham

As a person who creates leather holsters,,,

As a person who creates leather holsters,,,
I applaud your good sense.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 25, 2018, 06:12 PM   #6
Dano4734

I also like beer and guns but not at the same time:-)
Old October 25, 2018, 09:31 PM   #7
KyJim

I also like leather. I've regularly carried my IWB Milt Sparks SS II for years. Although the outside is stained from sweat and body oils, it is still completely functional and I've never had any issue with moisture on my pistols. I have one kydex holster that I never use and another hybrid (leather-lined kydex) that I only occasionally use.
Old October 26, 2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Pahoo

I too prefer and enjoy working with leather

During a recent transaction on purchasing a bunch of reloading components and equipment my buddy bought all that the seller had. There was a plastic tote full of leather. My buddy did not want this tote so the seller asked me if I wanted it? I said sure and said; just take it. I am also a leather crafter and some of this leather was showing mold and verdigris . I'm in the process of cleaning all and there is some awesome leather in the mix. There are at least twenty leather holsters and cartridge belts and some are hand tooled. It's a lot of work but am enjoying bringing them back to life. …….

Leather is a dynamic material to work with and even after many years, will conform to your fit. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2018, 12:03 PM   #9
Dano4734

Exactly and it looks great feels good and with care lasts forever. Guns were made for leather. I have a stack of others I tried and they just sit in a box. Love leather. I just got a hand made chest rig for my super redhawk. Beautiful leather perfect fit amazing craftsmanship
Old October 26, 2018, 02:14 PM   #10
TailGator

I'm a leather guy too. It is more comfortable to me, with a little give, and right in some undefined way.
Old October 27, 2018, 04:55 AM   #11
Satchmoeddie

That Kydex or whatever it is, is just sheet PVC (poly vinyl chloride), AKA one of the cheapest nastiest plastics know to man. A monkey can vacuum form it around anything, and cut it with scissors. PVC also has a horrible temperature expansion coefficient. So if your gun is snug in that plastic holster at room temp, and you go outside into a Minnesota winter, your holster is going to shrink around the gun, and conversely so if you go out into Phoenix Arizona heat the holster will expand, and loosen itself up around your gun. I had bought one of these plastic atrocities. I also had a flat tire, out on the indian reservation, on a hot summer day. I got several miles down the road and realized my gun must be where I changed the tire. Now that piece of garbage plastic holster is back where I changed that tire, and my gun is in a leather shoulder rig, and NO, it's not Galco. I prefer nicer leather than they use. I have a 50+ year old shoulder rig for a 4 inch Colt Python that needs about $5 in repairs. It was made by a western wear costume shop in El Paso Texas, not to be confused with El Paso Saddlery. Their leather has always been about 70% thicker and 100% more supple than that burrow hide Galco passes off as leather. I had a funeral to go to, so I dug out the old Python, and found the old shoulder rig that had sat idle for 30 years or so. One of the snaps on a speed loader pouch broke, but I wore it anyway, and it was as comfortable as it ever was. I had speed loader pouches put on about 40 years ago. It came with two little folders that held 12 .357 or .38 Spcl rounds, each. After 50 years, that plastic garbage would have been powder by now. Even the leather slings on some of my dad's 110 year old rifles are still in good shape. Kydex is horrible stuff. It brings the level of crafting fine holsters down to a level where a kindergarten class can make holsters, with minimal adult supervision. Them hipster guys with their silicon rubber wedding rings, wine cheese, legal weed and craft beer can keep their Kydex holsters. I'll take my full grain leather, 14kt gold, and 97 proof single barrel whiskey over that junk any day.
Old October 30, 2018, 09:37 PM   #12
Dano4734

Satch you nailed it for sure
Old November 1, 2018, 08:17 PM   #13
DT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmoeddie View Post
That Kydex or whatever it is, is just sheet PVC (poly vinyl chloride), AKA one of the cheapest nastiest plastics know to man. A monkey can vacuum form it around anything, and cut it with scissors. PVC also has a horrible temperature expansion coefficient. So if your gun is snug in that plastic holster at room temp, and you go outside into a Minnesota winter, your holster is going to shrink around the gun, and conversely so if you go out into Phoenix Arizona heat the holster will expand, and loosen itself up around your gun. I had bought one of these plastic atrocities. I also had a flat tire, out on the indian reservation, on a hot summer day. I got several miles down the road and realized my gun must be where I changed the tire. Now that piece of garbage plastic holster is back where I changed that tire, and my gun is in a leather shoulder rig, and NO, it's not Galco. I prefer nicer leather than they use. I have a 50+ year old shoulder rig for a 4 inch Colt Python that needs about $5 in repairs. It was made by a western wear costume shop in El Paso Texas, not to be confused with El Paso Saddlery. Their leather has always been about 70% thicker and 100% more supple than that burrow hide Galco passes off as leather. I had a funeral to go to, so I dug out the old Python, and found the old shoulder rig that had sat idle for 30 years or so. One of the snaps on a speed loader pouch broke, but I wore it anyway, and it was as comfortable as it ever was. I had speed loader pouches put on about 40 years ago. It came with two little folders that held 12 .357 or .38 Spcl rounds, each. After 50 years, that plastic garbage would have been powder by now. Even the leather slings on some of my dad's 110 year old rifles are still in good shape. Kydex is horrible stuff. It brings the level of crafting fine holsters down to a level where a kindergarten class can make holsters, with minimal adult supervision. Them hipster guys with their silicon rubber wedding rings, wine cheese, legal weed and craft beer can keep their Kydex holsters. I'll take my full grain leather, 14kt gold, and 97 proof single barrel whiskey over that junk any day.
Satch, having made both Kydex and leather holsters for a number of years (strictly for my own use, and as a hobbyist) I'd suggest your opinion of Kydex holster-making is...simplistic, at best.

Don't believe me? Design and build a good Kydex holster, and post some pics.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 1, 2018, 09:43 PM   #14
Dano4734

Larry does yours take the finish off the handgun? The one I bought for my glock 43 has rubbed the black off the slide on a new gun. By the way does anyone know if quick blue works on a glock slide. It’s not a big deal but if it works I will try it
Old November 1, 2018, 11:04 PM   #15
5whiskey

I somewhat agree with DT. I make leather holsters. I think I do decent work. Much better than run of the mill blackhawk or galco leather. I also know someone who makes kydex holsters. He spends almost the same amount of time making a holster as I do. Since I only use leather for belt loops or slots, and dont have to buy hardware, I have less in materials. The difference is... I can usually get more money for my holsters. He can thank uncle mikes and fobus for their cheapness being transferred to him.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old November 2, 2018, 10:07 AM   #16
cw308

Like everyone here , I have about three holsters for every handgun I own . For the first time I ordered a custom holster for my Colt 3" 1911 it's called the " country boy" OWB leather holster , it doesn't look like it sounds but it's the best holster I ever owned , the color I picked was mahogany . Check out R Grizzle leather holsters , you won't be disappointed .
Old November 2, 2018, 04:14 PM   #17
ifithitu

Yes i'm a leather man myself.
Old November 3, 2018, 12:00 AM   #18
rock185

I have holsters of other materials, but prefer leather myself.
Old November 15, 2018, 11:22 PM   #19
DT Guy

I've yet to have a holster I've made-leather or Kydex-strip the finish from a Glock. In fact, with the Tenifer finish, I'm surprised that's even possible.

That said, any holster will wear any finish; it's a matter of degree. But friction is friction, and everything on earth will eventually show wear from friction. Good design and clean construction minimizes it, but holstering a pistol will wear it.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos