The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 15, 2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

Stairway to Heaven

Mrs. Doc has looked off & on for about 7 years for her ideal gun that she would carry 24/7 and would accomodate her particular health problems We tried revolvers & no dice. Then we started looking at Pistols. Tried 9mms. 380mms. nothing . Finally I had her try the new Ruger SR 22 mag.10+1. After her first shot
I saw a big smile on her face. She finished firing all of the ammo in the magazine & then asked me to reload it. Finally she found that perfect carry for her and she actually bought a holster to go with the NIB Ruger & put the Ruger in her purse and home we went.
I am profoundly glad for all of the support and suggestions that TFL gave us and now I have a new shooting buddy.
I forgot to say that we bought the Ruger from a GS near us and after I swore that I never would do so. Things change.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; September 15, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:04 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I personally wouldn't use a shorter barreled 22LR for self defense. That said getting her to enjoy shooting something is a big first step and might one day lead to other calibers if she gets more comfortable. Enjoy the journey.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 16, 2017, 04:30 AM   #3
Hal

Doc,
My wife has free access to anything in the safe and she won't touch anything other than her Browning Buckmark Micro.
I'll have to see about a .22 mag & how she feels about that.

I read a story once where a native Alaskan used a .22 mag to hunt everything from seals to polar bear!
Old September 16, 2017, 07:12 AM   #4
PSP

Glad she landed on "her" gun. That's half the battle right there. Becoming proficient is the other half and a SR22 is a good one to do that. One of only two of my .22s that consume all brands of ammo. Have fun shooting with your new buddy.
Old September 16, 2017, 07:48 AM   #5
ritepath

My SR22 is my carry gun when I'm fishing. You don't know it's there, it's made of stuff that doesn't mind water. It's accurate, it'll feed anything.

Things I don't like but also don't whine about, the long reset, and backwards safety.
Old September 16, 2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Laz

Hal, I think you may have misread his post. I know I did. He is saying .22 with a mag(azine) of 10 rounds, not .22 mag 10+1. I had to double check the Ruger website to make sure they had not released an SR-22 in .22 Mag.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old September 16, 2017, 12:07 PM   #7
Doc Holliday 1950

Thanks Laz. That was what I wrote. Sorry for any confusion Hal.
I was so jazzed that I forgot to shoot it as well.
Next time will be a tad different.

Only thing that I care about is she will carry something That will offer her another layer of protection.

Her Auto Immune disease really limits what her hands can take &/or use.

Doc
Old September 16, 2017, 12:30 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...asked me to reload it..." You really should have said no. She needs to be able to do it.
"...He is saying .22 with..." Nope. Very specific. "Ruger SR22 with mags. 10+1". Not that it really matters.
Old September 16, 2017, 02:21 PM   #9
Hal

Laz & Doc,
Thanks for the clarification!
I got kind of excited there for a second thinking Ruger came out with an SR22 in .22mag!
Old September 16, 2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Grizz12

here I was thinking ruger came out with a new 22mag, thanks for teasing me
Old September 16, 2017, 05:00 PM   #11
O4L

Yeah, I was thinking "Why haven't I heard of this new 22 magnum pistol!".

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Old September 16, 2017, 09:04 PM   #12
Doc Holliday 1950

We're taking "Baby Steps" here & after I realized how ez Ruger's magazines can reload I explained it & showed her how to do when we got home.

The main thing here is after she shot the SR22, she went over to the owner of the GS/Range & asked if he had one NIB. He priced it out for her at $295.00(sorry for the mistake) COTB. I never said a word. She then pulled out her LCR 357/38 5 shot with an old Lasermax for a trade.which she used to pass both her carry permits & never carried it or practiced with it after qualifying.

She wound up getting $200 for the trade in. So the 22 price went down to $95 plus $5 for the background plus a BlackHawk holster for $15.

It's now in her purse & I never thought that this day would never happen.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; September 16, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:44 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Of all the smaller .22 semi autos the SR22 is the most reliable. The only time I had any issues with mine was after it sat without being shot one cleaned for a long time, over a year. But, after a long overdue cleaning it was 100% reliable once again. It functioned with any ammo no matter once, if kept clean. It had been so long since I'd owned a semi auto .22 handgun I'd forgotten just how dirty they can get. Even my Mark II will malfunction if neglected the same way, so even if it's clean I'll lube it before going to the range just because I shoot it so seldom and no problems.
Old September 17, 2017, 08:09 AM   #14
Slimjim9

The best SD gun is the one you have on you. Congrats to Mrs. Doc.
Old September 18, 2017, 07:01 PM   #15
Mr. Hill

Good for her, please tell her we're excited for her, and post some pics!
Old September 21, 2017, 06:34 PM   #16
rodfac

Glad you and Mrs. Doc found the right pistola for her use, Doc. It's great to have a shooting companion living with you and too, she's going to carry it if she likes it....always a desired outcome. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 23, 2017, 08:48 AM   #17
BOOGIE the oily

I want to join the others in congratulating you and Mrs. Doc in her choice.
And about .22 LR not being a good defense round, I disagree. I don't have any proof of this, but I heard from many Colombians (cops and "the other kind"), that .22 LR was the caliber of choice for Colombian sicarios during Pablo Escobar's times, so I'd say the caliber is anything but harmless.
On the other hand, stopping an aggression doesn't mean killing the aggressor. If using the gun gives her enough time to either run away or get some help, I'd say the gun was quite effective, and definitely more effective than no gun at all.

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything, but then again, neither does milk."
Old September 23, 2017, 07:10 PM   #18
hdwhit

Quote:
TunnelRat wrote:
I personally wouldn't use a shorter barreled 22LR for self defense.
And that's fine for you. But a 22 LR that someone is not afraid to shoot and is willing to shoot often enough to gain proficiency is vastly superior to ANY gun that they flinch at the thought of shooting and so don't become proficient using.
Old September 23, 2017, 09:16 PM   #19
blchandl2

^^^^what he said
Old September 23, 2017, 09:39 PM   #20
Doc Holliday 1950

I am very grateful for all of the support from everyone .This World is a very dangerous place. You can try your best to always be aware of where and what one's doing, but sometimes stuff happens. My only suggestion is that everyone who carries a pistol/revolver knows the law and knows how to shoot. This goes for our wives and or children and husbands.
Again, Thanks for all of your support.

Doc

Doc