The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Ironworker

Seating depth of Hornady ELD-X bullet

7mm WSM 162gr ELD-X How far away from rifling ? I recall A-Max bullets like being seated into the lands. Sierra 160 gr TMK I seat .020 away from lands. The Hornady bullets will be my deer bullet .
Old September 15, 2017, 10:53 AM   #2
RC20

Just like loads, take two guns off the assembly line one after another and they both can be dramatically different in what they like.

You simply start .15 off the lands and see how it does.

If not happy, move it out .010 at a shot until something gets better or keeps getting worse.

You can even try up against the lands but that's iffy for hunting.

You just have to try out, no one can answer that with certainty.
Old September 15, 2017, 12:34 PM   #3
hounddawg

for hunting bullets I seat at magazine length
Old September 15, 2017, 12:56 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...A-Max bullets like being seated into the lands..." The bullet has nothing to do with it. The whole off-the-lands thing is a load tweaking technique that isn't necessary and isn't done until you have worked up a load. There is no set distance anyway. Every chamber is different and finding the distance off-the-lands for that rifle is a 100% trial and error thing. You can forget about it altogether and only do it if you feel like it.
The SAAMI Max OAL(not seating depth) for the 7mm WSM is 2.860". Which is what your manual should say. Use that and you'll be fine.
Old September 15, 2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Metal god

Jam them into the lands to where you juuust start to see the tip coming out the muzzle oh man I crack me up

Ok jokes aside . For hunting I'd keep them off the lands at what ever depth shoots most accurately at a velocity you need . If mag length restricts you I'd start at max mag length and adjust back for accuracy . If you can reach the lands and still load from the mag . I'd start .020 of and no closer then .010 off and adjust backing off the lands for accuracy .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 15, 2017, 03:34 PM   #6
jmr40

I'm loading 178's in my 308 and 143's in my 6.5 Creedmoor. They are seated as far out as the magazine allows. They shoot better than the trigger puller

Winston Churchill
Old September 15, 2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Stats Shooter

Hunting ammo has to feed and cycle flawlessly out of my magazines. In some magazines, that may only buy you 0.03", like in my Model 70 Super Grade .300wm. But, none the less, it has to feed flawlessly from the mag. I use Accubonds because they are not very jump sensitive.

I have used ELD-x as well in my .308, I have not hunted with them yet, but I did work up a load. Hornady recommend 0.020. I found this to be adequate in my guns for hunting.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:31 PM   #8
RC20

Quote:
"...A-Max bullets like being seated into the lands..." The bullet has nothing to do with it. The whole off-the-lands thing is a load tweaking technique that isn't necessary and isn't done until you have worked up a load. There is no set distance anyway. Every chamber is different and finding the distance off-the-lands for that rifle is a 100% trial and error thing. You can forget about it altogether and only do it if you feel like it.
The SAAMI Max OAL(not seating depth) for the 7mm WSM is 2.860". Which is what your manual should say. Use that and you'll be fine.
Well first of all its an ELD-X knotty an A-Max . I am shooting the match version and .020 off and getting sub 1/2 MOA groups (more like 3/8 if I shoot well)

Secondly I have yet to fine a bullet A max, ELD-X or the Hornady 168ZMX that likes being seated in the lands.

I have even had some great groups seated out to .150 clearance.

The book data is a generic recommendation. You do that with a Remington 700 that has a ELD-X throat that is way long, you will get poor results.

Find the lands of YOUR RIFLE, then pull back .015 -.020 and take it from there

Hunting rounds are best done with the .020 (or a bit more) so you have no issues to feed. If your hunting load does 1.5 inches that perfectly fine for vast majority of shots inside 600 yards (prairie dogs no but that's not hunting). Real small deer more like 300 yards. Know you game ranges and 1 to 1.5 inches will do you well, it does not need to be a tack driver.

Target shooting you can tune them quite a bit with adjustments.
Old September 16, 2017, 10:57 AM   #9
hooligan1

Im getting best consistancy at .030 off lands so far, I need to test this load a bit more though.
143 ELDX is supposed to be a real nice hunting bullet, Im spending more time testing 140 grn Accubonds, 6.5 CM.
Old September 16, 2017, 12:35 PM   #10
cw308

I bench rest only 308 cal. Load one round at a time , trigger set in ounces . Hunting is completely different . Why wouldn't you load to the recommended safe & reliable listing . Work on powder charges in range. Jamming & jumping can cause pressure problems that you don't want on a hunt.
Old September 16, 2017, 01:42 PM   #11
disseminator

I agree with the idea of starting with your magazine length and see what you get. In a hunting rifle you are practically limited to mag length anyways.

My Sako 308 has a mag length of 2.9" and most bullets are contacting the lands around 3.0" so I just use 2.9" for my COAL which is .100" longer than "standard" 308 but still .100" from the lands which some might think is a lot. But consider the gun comes with a 5 shot MOA guaranty and would have a .200" jump with most factory ammo so what does it matter really?
Old November 13, 2017, 11:35 PM   #12
JGC

178Gr ELD M
42.5gr Varget
Hornady Brass
CCi Primer
2.890 OAL
Remington 700 .308 Varmint 26 inch Heavy Barrel
1/4@100 cloverleafs
Magneeto velocity average 2630

Anyone try these at mag length with varget?
Old November 13, 2017, 11:53 PM   #13
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Anyone try these at mag length with varget?

No but as you saw, I did with 4064 with good results.
Old November 14, 2017, 05:23 AM   #14
std7mag

As was mentioned already, measure your mag length( on the inside). Then do a dummy round with a fired casing, bullet just being held into case mouth. Chamber but don't pull the trigger. Remove round and measure 3-4 times. Subtract 0.10" and start there. Try your measured dummy round in the mag. If it fits your golden.

My Savage in 7mm Rem Mag likes them 0.010" off the lands. My Mauser likes em 0.060" off the lands. Just gotta play with em.