The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 13, 2017, 05:06 PM   #1
turkeestalker

Marlin Camp 45 Magazine Options

I've wanted one of the Marlin carbines for quite some time, finally found the right one at the right price and it's on it's way to me.

That has me thinking about extended capacity magazines.
I can't see a drum being a good idea, but what do I know?
There's a Korean made 28 round and a ProMag 40 round that I've seen, not sure what else is out there.
Maybe the 15 round stick mags?

Curious if anyone has any experience with any of the novelty type extended capacity magazines that are available out there for 1911s?
Old September 13, 2017, 10:18 PM   #2
the possum

Stay away from the 15 rounders by Triple K. At least, the ones I bought several years ago were pure junk. I don't have experience with the others you mentioned. Metalform 10 rounders are excellent though.
Old September 14, 2017, 12:44 AM   #3
railroader

Mecgar has 10 and 11 rounders.
Old September 16, 2017, 03:18 PM   #4
smee78

Stay away from the Promag garbage, they cant make a mag to save their or your life. I bought one of their Glock mags many years ago and it was a total pos. It would start to puke rounds if you ejected the mag out of the weapon when fully loaded, super weak feed lips.

Mecgar and Wilson make good 8 &10 rounder's and would be worth a try, I just stick to the 8 rounder's in my Mectec 1911 upper.
Old September 16, 2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Dred

I wouldn't look for bigger than the 10 rounders by Chip McCormick, Tripp Research or Wilson Combat. I have not found a larger capacity single stack tube that earned my trust. Considering the actual mass of a stack of single file 45ACP rounds plus all the friction points ... you may come to a similar conclusion.

I will confirm that the Tripp's, Chip's and Wilson's can run reliably. I keep a Tripp 10 rounder in each of my vehicles as I am too otherwise absorbed to be bothered by packing a second magazine on my body.

And I bet you enjoy that Camp Carbine more than you've anticipated.
Old September 18, 2017, 04:04 PM   #6
turkeestalker

Thank you all for the replies.
I've been gathering from reading that the 10 round magazines tend to be as good as it gets.
That is pretty much what I expected, but had to ask.
Old September 22, 2017, 03:03 AM   #7
bamaranger

conversions

Dunno about hi-caps. But in the "for what it's worth category" there used to be an outfit that advertised they would convert 1911 mags to work in the Marlin .45 carbine. Not sure if a mag so modified would then still work in a ..45 auto pistol.

I was interested in the Marlin .45 but never got one.
Old September 22, 2017, 05:57 PM   #8
turkeestalker

I could be wrong ....and often am, but I was under the impression that any 1911 magazine was supposed to work in the Marlin.
Old September 22, 2017, 07:10 PM   #9
Sharkbite

10 round Wilsons are HARD to beat
Old September 25, 2017, 12:42 AM   #10
bamaranger

mags

Hmm?????!!!! Maybe 1911 mags would work in the Marlin,and the ad was for SIG mags........it was some time ago. I'm thinking though, that there was some type of incompatability with the carbine mags and this outfit would resolve it.

All speculation on my part.....never did get the .45 carbine, in fact, I've seen very few for sale...anywhere, even when they were being produced. I've no
interest in a .45acp carbine these days.
Old September 25, 2017, 02:00 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

You didn't miss much. Those have a heavy blow back action and are noted for bending cases during feeding. My brother had one and every time a live round was ejected, the case was tweaked...

Tony
Old September 25, 2017, 07:04 PM   #12
Thesenator

What do you mean "tweaked"?
Old September 25, 2017, 11:20 PM   #13
Geezerbiker

The cases were partially bent. The case head was about 10 to 15 degrees off from the case mouth...

I could have bought the rifle from him but neither of us were at all impressed with it.

Tony
Old October 7, 2017, 05:52 PM   #14
turkeestalker

I was impressed with it!

I waited for a heavier recoil spring and new buffer to arrive before I shot it, finally hit the range with it this morning.

Only put 50 rounds of ball ammo through it today but it shot very well indeed.
Came with a little Banner 1-4x on it on see through mounts *yuck - dandy optic, horrible mount*.
I left it on there for the first couple of magazines and it was minute of golf ball at 25 yards.
Took the scope off and it shot about the same with this 'jerk' on the trigger.

Just used the 7 round mag that came with the carbine for now, but I'll pick up a couple of 10 round ones soon enough.
Thinking this is going to prove to be a dandy little carbine, glad I finally picked one up.
Old October 9, 2017, 06:45 AM   #15
smee78

Glad its working out for ya, minute of golf ball is not bad. Hope it brings you many years of happiness. Congrats