The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 9, 2017, 09:58 AM   #1
rickyrick

What the heck is going on in this story...

http://koin.com/2017/09/08/police-ma...w-park-blocks/

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A man was arrested in the SW Park Blocks Friday afternoon for allegedly carrying a gun.

A September 8, 2017 booking photo of 21-year-old Jonathan Christ. (MCSO)
A September 8, 2017 booking photo of 21-year-old Jonathan Christ. (MCSO)
Police said they found 21-year-old Jonathan Christ carrying a rifle and 20 rounds of shotgun ammunition near SW Park Avenue and SW Main Street.

Christ was lodge in the Multnomah County Jail on a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm. Police requested a mental health evaluation for him.
So much information missing... doesn't seem on the surface that he did much wrong. Some are suggesting they used the new gun grab law in Oregon to arrest him.
Old September 9, 2017, 10:52 AM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
rickyrick
Quote:
......Police said they found 21-year-old Jonathan Christ carrying a rifle and 20 rounds of shotgun ammunition .......

Christ was lodge in the Multnomah County Jail on a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm. Police requested a mental health evaluation for him.
So much information missing... doesn't seem on the surface that he did much wrong.
The only information missing is in that news "article".......actual news. It looks like typical "police blotter" info about an arrest. Often such news reports are edited for space and significant information isn't shown.

"On the surface"? There is no surface, only a photo and a pathetically minute amount of information. I'm pretty sure the arresting officers knew what they were doing. A quick Google search shows that person with a criminal record.

In any event......the accused is carrying a .22 rifle with a bandolier of shotgun shells. That might lead one to question whether he's one taco shy of a combination plate.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 9, 2017, 11:01 AM   #3
rickyrick

Lol, good assessment.
Old September 9, 2017, 11:11 AM   #4
tangolima

Is that the bloke's real name?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old September 9, 2017, 12:19 PM   #5
rickyrick

It could lead to the impression that possession of a gun is a crime on its own, but I hate that even such a brief story, there's still misspelling. Pretty common in need articles of today.
Old September 9, 2017, 06:57 PM   #6
berettaprofessor

That's a Marlin 60, right? Shooting squirrels in the park and forgot to bring his Taurus Judge?
Old September 10, 2017, 12:35 AM   #7
bamaranger

pupils

The guys pupils look small to me, I'll bet he was high as a kite.
Old September 10, 2017, 10:05 AM   #8
rickyrick

Looks like he had a parachute, clean pair of jeans, a heavy chain and something on a shaft.
Probably amongst the unfortunate legions of homeless in the region.
I don't doubt that there's more to the story. It is paired down to appear that having a gun was his only crime.

Old September 10, 2017, 11:32 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It is paired down to appear that having a gun was his only crime.
If he is a prohibited person, having a gun IS a crime.

Quote:
The guys pupils look small to me, I'll bet he was high as a kite.
Could be. Could also be a bright light (like for a photograph), which will shrink pupils.

The extremely limited information really prevents any kind of meaningful discussion about WHY he was arrested.
Old September 11, 2017, 06:49 AM   #10
griz

Quote:
That's a Marlin 60, right?
Looks like it to me. There's a magazine tube under the case which I'm assuming they took out when they checked to see if it was loaded.

Maybe it's illegal there to carry a gun with the wrong ammo? Joking aside, there sure isn't much info there.
Old September 11, 2017, 11:21 AM   #11
dogtown tom

Quote:
rickyrick .... It is paired down to appear that having a gun was his only crime.
What other crimes do you think he committed?

I know you really want this to be a story about an otherwise upstanding citizen who was arrested solely for exercising his Second Amendment rights and fell afoul of the new Oregon law.............but sometimes it is what it is.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 11, 2017, 12:01 PM   #12
rickyrick

No, it is what it is. Just brief and devoid of facts.
Old September 11, 2017, 12:32 PM   #13
Ricklin

Not an Oregonian

While I am not an Oregonian I live right next store in WA, we go to Oregon often, and I am a former resident.

Oregon is an open carry state. That said the individual arrested may be a prohibited person.
The good liberals of Portland have made it a haven for the homeless, it's crazy. Can't walk around downtown without tripping over homeless people, literally.

It's one of the many reasons I am no longer an Oregon resident.
Old September 11, 2017, 02:45 PM   #14
tony pasley

no real information, sounds like just a liberal poke at gun owners
Old September 11, 2017, 05:14 PM   #15
rickyrick

Yes, Tony that was the point I was trying to make.
No doubt there were other circumstances.
I know the police wouldn't arrest unless circumstances warranted.

Clearly from the information, the gun and ammunition were most likely harmless.
I'm sure the guy had "acquired" the items and planned a future use like: sell them, future crime spree, self defense and so on.

But just a guy with a gun in his bag is not really a crime. Sometimes I'm a guy with a gun in his bag. If I'm homeless, I'll probably have a gun in my bag.

I see all these little gun hit pieces ramping up in the news cycles again. Every time the media highlights every little gun incident, something big happens at the crescendo, usually a ridiculous gun ballot measure or something of the sorts.
The PACNW is playland for yellow journalism.
Old September 13, 2017, 10:59 AM   #16
doofus47

from the article :
Quote:
Christ was lodge in the Multnomah County Jail
What's going on? Poor writing, reporting and editing.
Old September 13, 2017, 11:29 AM   #17
mete

New math ? That shotgun ammo [ 20 ga ? ] won't go into 22LR caliber unless he's been taught the new math !
Old September 13, 2017, 05:44 PM   #18
TheDevilThatYouKnow

News report says "Unlawful possession of firearms" - ORS 166.250
My best guess is that the gentleman had the rifle in the carrying case and Officer Friendly is trying for a liberal interpretation of paragraph (a).
Quote:
Except as otherwise provided in this section ... a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
Whether or not an encased rifle counts as being concealed is going to be interesting.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:21 PM   #19
GarandTd

I thought dilated pupils were an indicator, not constricted pupils.
Old September 16, 2017, 05:59 PM   #20
FITASC

He's guilty of being an impoverished person in a sanctuary city. Since he had a gun, however, that makes him a right wing gun nut in the eyes of those caring folks.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa