The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Cesure

Cannelure on cases?

I have some 3-D remanufactured 38 Specials that I bought at a range about 20 years ago. I never paid attention back then, but now that I'm reloading, I noticed that some of the cases have circumferential grooves that look very similar to cannelures on bullets. They're knurled and some cases have 2 or 3, but most only have one or none. They're all different brands. Can anyone tell me why this was done and whether I should bother reloading them? Or whether I should be concerned at all? I'm worried that it would weaken the case.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
603Country

I personally have no idea why the lines/grooves are there, but since I have plenty of those cases (mostly in 38 special) and have reloaded them about a zillion times, it apparently isn't something to worry about. On the other hand, if it is something to worry about, maybe you and I will soon learn why from other folks.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:53 PM   #3
oldpapps

I've reloaded and shot many of .38 Spec brass with those canalures many time. I can't remember any case failures that I could contribute to them.

The 'makers' don't do anything that would cost more or take time with out reason. I just don't know what those reasons may have been. After the fact - reloads - it is a non event.

Load with safety,

OSOK
Old May 10, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
dahermit

There are some channelures that coincide with the base of the bullet in the case. If there are more than that one in that position, I suspect (but cannot prove), that it was used instead of a roll crimp on the mouth of the case for some reason.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:05 PM   #5
hodaka

Yes, I'm going to ask the same question so that I can easily spot this thread. I've got them on 45 Colt, .357 and .38 and do not understand the reason they exist.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6
steveno

the grooves in the cases were there to prevent bullet set back. some companies did this and some didn't and even then only on some loads. how much of a problem in revolver rounds (or auto rounds for that matter) that really was or is now is probably open for debate.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:10 PM   #7
spacecoast

IIRC the cannelures correspond to cases stamped as "wadcutters" and the cannelures may indeed correspond to the bottom of the wadcutter bullet when loaded. They may save the manufacturer a step in processing. However, those cases are identical in every other respect to standard .38 special cases and I have loaded them with non-wadcutter bullets, crimped as usual and never had a problem. I never crimp wadcutters that I press into any case, the long bearing area on the sides of the bullet and the mild loads are more than enough to hold them in place.

I can't recall seeing them on any cases other than .38 special, which also leads me to believe they are definitely wadcutter-related.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Cesure

There seems to be no consistency in where they are located. They never seem to be closer together than about 1/4" to each other and not closer than 1/4" to the mouth or the base, but other than that, they're located all over.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Cesure

I just checked some from reloaded .357s that I got from my FIL. They had the grooves too. They were DE wadcutters, just like the 3-D, but reloaded by a friend of his.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:26 PM   #10
wncchester

"Or whether I should be concerned at all? I'm worried that it would weaken the case."

No. And the cannalures won't weaken cases.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Cesure

Quote:
No. And the cannalures won't weaken cases.
Already got that. Still don't think I've heard a good explanation for why they're there. I doubt the original loader had a reason to put 2-3 per case. Some clearly seem older than others on the same case. I'm guessing multiple trips to remanufacturers for wadcutters and then sold back to ranges. But some of them are well below where the bottom of the wadcutter would be.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:33 PM   #12
eldermike

I have loaded these type cases for many years without issue. I believe they are grip marks from tooling that needs them to retain the case in manufacturing processes.they don't line up with any bullets I have loaded.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:26 PM   #13
Archie

Mostly bullet placement

In semi-automatic pistol rounds, the cannelure in the case kept the bullet from being seated deeper in the process of 1. getting slammed back and forth in the magazine, and 2. bumping up the feed ramp.

In revolver rounds, one can often see a cannelure at the base of the (original factory loaded) bullet. Why escapes me, as typically revolver bullets don't get seated deeper, but rather 'pulled' while the preceding rounds are being fired. I have seen some - older ammunition - where the cannelure appeared to be a form of crimping. Again, this applies only the original factory loading.

Currently manufactured ammunition doesn't seem to have cannelures in the cases. At least not as much.

As noted by others, I've reloaded cannelured and plain cases with no remarkable difference between the two categorical groups.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 11, 2013, 10:17 PM   #14
balderclev

Interesting. I've reloaded these as well. I've seen them way too far down the case for them to be associated with a seating depth.
Old May 12, 2013, 03:45 PM   #15
oldpapps

eldermike's got the best excuse so far. More plausible than anything I can think of.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old May 12, 2013, 03:47 PM   #16
dickttx

They showed up on different makes of ammo and were, as stated above, to stop bullet setback. I have GI 45 brass from several makers that have them also.
Old May 12, 2013, 05:33 PM   #17
Gster

I have noticed them on a lot of the 9mm brass that I have accumulated also.