The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2012, 05:12 AM   #1
frigate88

Light loads problem

Having issues with my 11-87 premiere. Just got it a little while ago and just really started using it quite a bit now for the bird hunting season. It's having trouble with the 7 1/2 shot loads. It's not taking the spent round out of the barrel or it's kicking the round out and the bolt is staying open. I cleaned the gun thoroughly, just wondering if the gas system isn't designed for lighter loads or if something else might be the issue like the o-ring or something. Any thoughts. Also the gun was used, also it was dirty as hell and left in a safe for about 5 years. Let's just say it was pretty nasty before I cleaned it.
Old January 5, 2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Bailey Boat

Make certain that you reassembled the gas rings and O ring correctly. What is the dram equivilent of the load that is giving trouble??? 1187's won't operate with shells below 2.75 dram eq.
Old January 5, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
zippy13

It's the gas pressure, not the size of the shot that's important. Your "7 1/2 shot loads" are available in a very wide variety of configurations. Number 7-1/2 shot is a very popular for clays and small birds. It's commercially loaded from low velocity lights to high velocity heavyweights. Today's light loads give many gas autos trouble because they may not develop the minimum operational pressure. Also, some light loads perform poorly in cold weather.

Bailey Boat is correct, check your rings. It's very common to see the metal rings reinstalled incorrectly. And, tattered O-rings are not uncommon. When you clean your gun, the mag tube should be cleaned, oiled and wiped down -- don't over lube it. After assembly, when you turn your 1100/11-87 end over end, you should hear the rings freely moving on the mag tube. Most 1100/11-87 problems have to due with ammo and/or the gas works, not a broken gun.
Old January 5, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
oneounceload

Besides the sage advice on the O ring - also clean your gas ports with a pipe cleaner and some solvent and look for other crud buildup in the same area
Old January 11, 2012, 02:00 AM   #5
olddrum1

All sage advice here but you may want to go to Remingtons site and search for the drawing on the 11-87. On some of the older guns as mine part number 44 has a set of tabs on it that if not installed correctly will cause your gun to do exactly what your describing. Part 44 has to be all the way back flush with the action. If it is not, the bolt will stop anywhere along the slide that this part catchs on.
Old January 11, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
zippy13

Charlie (olddrum1) makes a good point. The sheet metal clip "Fore-End Support Assembly" (Part 44 on 11/87s and Part 48 on 1100s) is something that's usually overlooked. I never gave it much thought until one buggered up my 1100. I had the gun apart at the club, and one of the old boys commented that the part was unnecessary. He said it was added to tighten up the fore-end. If you didn't mind a little slop, you could do without one. I removed the bent clip, to get my gun working for the next event, with the intention of ordering a replacement. That was back in the mid 90s and I still haven't replaced it.

An interesting sidelight: In my most recently downloaded copy of the 1100/11-87 owner's manual, the "Fore-End Support Assembly" isn't depicted in the 1100 diagram but it is for the 11-87. Perhaps Remington is still using the original parts diagram and never modified it to include the added clip. Anyone else using a gun with the clip removed?