The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 21, 1999, 09:48 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

This is Blaser's answer to the needs of long range "precision shooters". Sometime back, Mad Dog posted a far better eval of the rifle than I could. (Search on the Rifle Forum).

Anyway, after sighting the rifle in at 200 yards three months ago, I broke it down, cased it and put it in Mad Dog's safe. Recently we completely disassembled this piece so that Kevin could apply a bake on coating to all metal surfaces. This meant removing the scope, barrel, stock cover, forend cover and bipod plate. Supposedly, it'll still come back to zero...yeah, right!

I had the opportunity to reassemble yesterday. Today I took it to Jeff Cooper's private range with Col. Bob Young to rezero (I am such a name dropper! ).

Bore sight looked good...it always does to me. First shots were on a steel plate at 200 meters: hit, hit, hit, hit, hit. Clean and try on paper. The 5 shot group was slightly 4 larger than 1 inch at 200 meters about 3/4 inch low of center. I'd say that's still zeroed for 200 yards on the money!

Now that's amazing....not the shooting, but the ability of the rifle to return to zero.

If you're all good boys and girls, tomorrow I'll post about the joys of shooting "Uncle Bob's" Accuracy Int'l with Schmidt and Bender scope.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited September 21, 1999).]
Old September 22, 1999, 04:59 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Wait a second - This was after:
Storage -
Take down -
Coating -
BAKING -
Refitting -

And it still held the Zero?

Sweetness...
You DO get what what you pay for...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 22, 1999, 08:38 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

If I didn't have Colonel Young as a witness, I wouldn't have even posted this...it's too unbelievable.
Rich
Old September 23, 1999, 05:09 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

You know Rich, in order to make this a real test, you need to buy two or three more and have other folks attempt to duplicate your test. Otherwise it may be a fluke. (remember the scientific method) We both slammed Marshall and Sanow for lack of documentation and parallel data evaluation. Your reputation may be on the line here.

Kindly send me and George one. (with scope and voucher for refinishing) I'll sned mine back...... Later. :-)

:-)

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited September 23, 1999).]
Old September 23, 1999, 06:49 PM   #5
HankL

Well Rich, it is tommorrow and where is the info on "Uncle Bob's" rig? Don't get us all lathered up and put us in the stall!
Hank
We were very good!
Old September 24, 1999, 12:29 AM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

If Colonel Young was a witness to this feat on Jeff Cooper's Private Range - I will take that at face value. The Blazer Rifle has such a good rep - I belive it... The Blazer is a German Rifle, Right?
See - that explains it... Its related to HK...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old October 1, 1999, 12:58 AM   #7
blades67

George thinks HE's related to HK!

BTW, my HK 91 does the same thing without all of those annoying extra "parts" (Like barrels, etc).

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
(I'm not?! ~George~ )

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited October 01, 1999).]
Old October 1, 1999, 11:45 AM   #8
Rich Lucibella
Staff

blades-
If your HK91 can do that, either you've got a gem or mine is a lemon. Great battle rifle (though not an FN-FAL); hardly a precision piece though.
Rich
Old October 4, 1999, 05:24 PM   #9
Rob Pincus

I hope you write a letter to Sig telling them about where you first saw the Blaser and who with.

------------------
-Essayons

Old October 5, 1999, 01:16 AM   #10
Long Path

Rich, you are a name-dropper, and I must admit, I feel like quite the hob-nobber just to chat with one who hob-nobs... ("he who sittith at the foot of the prophet...")

Any-way, what would you say is the Blazer's biggest drawback (beyond price-- I realize that you have to pay for a certain level of quality.)?

I have to ask these things-- the actual items are out of reach... for now.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old October 5, 1999, 09:38 AM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Blaser drawbacks:
- Poor blueing job
- Poor composite work (too mych tympanic sound; should have been true bolted rather than screws into plastic).

Rob-
You're right. You're the one that turned me onto the brand. Tom Newhall from GG&G turned me on to the model.
Rich
Old October 5, 1999, 10:35 AM   #12
Mute

I'm a skeptic, so you'll have to send me the rifle and let me test it out in the same manner before I believe it.