The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2011, 10:58 AM   #1
jag2

primers/no hazmat fee

I believe I read that the hazmat fee for primers is going away in 2014, something to do with some 9/11 rules expiring. I'm not sure if powder is included, my guess would be no. Can anyone confirm this info?
Old June 22, 2011, 11:34 AM   #2
drail

I cannot answer your question but I was always of the belief that the introduction of HAZMAT fees had nothing to do with 9/11 (they were in place long before that day) and have everything to do with the insurance carriers for the shipping industry. I don't think the fees are liable to go away.
Old June 22, 2011, 12:07 PM   #3
mikld

Nor do I.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Shootest

I can NOT see our current government eliminating fees on anything much less politically incorrect items such as primers and powder.
Old June 22, 2011, 02:35 PM   #5
GWS

Quote:
I can NOT see our current government eliminating fees on anything much less politically incorrect items such as primers and powder.
Nor I, but I can see that once our current government becomes politically incorrect, then I'd believe such a rumor!
Old June 22, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6
brickeyee

Quote:
The government did not impose the fee (at least directly);

They required detailed record keeping about what is on EVERY cargo truck.

The driver has to know everything on the truck that is ANY kind of hazmat.

The shippers imposed the fee since they have to check for the label, and every driver of each truck that moves the box must peel off a copy of the hazmat sticker and carry it in the cab with him.

There must be a 24 hour phone number available to tell first responders how to deal with the hazmat material.

Both of these cost money to operate.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Doyle

And all of the above could be eliminated if the DOT simply decides that limited quanties of primers are no longer considered hazardous material.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:35 PM   #8
medalguy

When you consider all the various combinations of flammable and explosive materials carried on most common carriers today, I think even a small quantity of primers is a very dangerous cargo. I don't see the hazmat cargo requirements OR the fees going away.
Old June 22, 2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

And yet, they are apparently both scheduled to be de-listed. A member on another forum has a wife who works in the coatings industry and who has to take regular training classes in hazardous materials handling, and therefore stays up to date. She reports the most recent class she took indicated both powder and primers would be removed from the listings in 2014.

Loaded ammo has gone unlisted because it isn't considered likely enough to go off by accident. Most primers are packaged just fine, so they don't, either. As far as I know, there are no historical instances of trucks carrying either primers or powder having a problem. That may be the reason. They may eliminate things form the list if no issues have resulted after twenty years or some other period. I don't know how they decide. It may also be that the de-listing will only be for smaller quantities, too. I just don't have any details beyond the classroom report. I note the current regs draw a line for powders at quantities of 100 lbs or less. They impose the current fee because the powder is classified as an explosive, as distinct from a flammable solid. Perhaps, for small quantities, that classification is going to be changed to flammable solid? This is an interesting read. The common carriers can continue to require their own hazmat fee, even if the DOT drops it.

The current list of hazmats is available in an Excel file from the government, here. (If you don't have Excel, download the free Open Office Suite and install it; the suite's spreadsheet program, Calc, will let you read the file.)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; June 22, 2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added information
Old June 22, 2011, 05:19 PM   #10
serf 'rett

The way prices are increasing, I'm afraid the Hazmat will look like small potatoes by 2014.
Old June 22, 2011, 10:03 PM   #11
jag2

Thanks Unclenik, thats what I was looking for, information, not opinions.