The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 2, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
smayberry

Savage 10 fcs-k

Having trouble reloading. Am I dealing with a "Palma" cut chamber. It is starting to look that way to me.

Thanks.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:20 PM   #2
mnhntr

should not be, what are the problems you are having?
Old September 3, 2012, 06:11 AM   #3
smayberry

I seem to have to load well short of the manual COL to have rounds that will chamber or extract wihout using extreme force on the bolt. .308 winchester loaded with 175gr SMK COL is 2.700 to get it to function. However, if I ram an empty case and bullet into the lands and extract it I get a COL of 2.810. That is right where it should be. I just can't figure out the difference when using a loaded round. I would not be able to extract that as a loaded round and my trigger would probably also be jammed so I couldn't shoot it either.

My "short" ammo is shooting well but I am having a heck of a time choosing a suitable cartridge length. The crux of the problem is trying to load .1 or so off the rifling is difficult because I can't establish that distance. I am having a simiar issue with Amaxs, just not quite as bad. The gun seems to prefer the Matchkings though.

I am neck sizing only.

Thanks

Last edited by smayberry; September 3, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:20 AM   #4
stubbicatt

Could it be that your neck sized cartridges are the problem? Perhaps the bolt doesn't want to close on something other than FL sized brass.

The guys at C&H Tool and Die will custom make a FL sizer for your chamber, which may be a better route than the neck sized only.

Just my thought. I mean, if the rifle won't chamber the ammo, it hardly matters how precise it may be otherwise.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
mnhntr

Check out the sticky at Sniperhide forums in the reloading section for a quick easy way to find your lands measurement.