The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Would you be comfortable using a Sierra 90gr HP in a 270 Win for 300lb wild hogs?
Yes 5 25.00%
No 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Tex S

.277 cal 90gr Sierra HP

Would you feel comfortable using this bullet on feral hogs up to 300lbs.? If I decide to try it, they will be fired out of a 22" bbl chambered for 270 Win.

Do you think that a shot aimed at the heart would penetrate enough to get there? Do you think it would produce a quick, clean kill?
Old February 4, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Loader9

Been using this bullet on Texas size hogs for about 30 years but a heart shot- no. We don't eat Texas hogs and frankly, won't touch one because the TPW has stated many times that these hogs have an over 50% probability of have brucelosis or pseudo rabies. Both, humans can catch and can be fatal. They are generally covered in ticks and fleas which are carriers of Lyme. If you think cancer is bad, just catch Lyme and you'll know what bad is. But a good shot to the mid section will either leave them in their tracks or they might make it 50 yds before folding up like the sky fell on them. I'm using a full case of IMR4831 pushed to the max. It'll also cut a jack rabbit in half at 300 yds. It's a very explosive bullet at 270 peak velocities.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Tex S

Quote:
We don't eat Texas hogs and frankly, won't touch one because the TPW has stated many times that these hogs have an over 50% probability of have brucelosis or pseudo rabies. Both, humans can catch and can be fatal.
I find that interesting because I have never heard it. Where did you get that information? I have never seen it in the TPW outdoor annual. I'm not sayin it isn't true, just I've never heard of it.

Please send me a link if possible. I have eaten feral hog many times with no ill effects. Guess I have just been lucky???
Old February 5, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Loader9

This is the short publication for the general public. The one I get is from the State Offices and goes into more detail. Over 50% have pseudo rabies and over 50% will have brucelosis. That makes the odds of you killing one that is disease free pretty darn slim.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ce/feral_hogs/

I assume you know Texas is a quarantine State in regards to transportation of live hogs.
Old February 8, 2010, 02:47 PM   #5
ForneyRider

Isn't that a varmint bullet?

My dad has killed several of the pigs 100lbs and lighter with 50gr VMax in .22-250. So a varmint bullet can kill the smaller ones to be sure.

I make 130gr SST or Ballistic Tips with R22 at 3100fps for my brother's 270 Win for deer, hog, or coyote. They are still flat shooting and hit hard.
Old February 8, 2010, 04:53 PM   #6
rbernie

Quote:
Over 50% have pseudo rabies and over 50% will have brucelosis. That makes the odds of you killing one that is disease free pretty darn slim.
I've eaten a lot of Texas feral hog with zero issues. The following quote is from your link, and frankly doesn't support the concern that you exhibit.

Quote:
Do feral hogs carry disease?
In general, diseases from wild hogs do not pose a significant threat to humans; however, some diseases can be transmitted to livestock and wildlife. It is important to keep all livestock vaccinated, especially where large feral hog populations are concentrated.

Various diseases of wild hogs include pseudorabies, swine brucellosis, tuberculosis, bubonic plague, tularemia, hog cholera, foot and mouth disease, and anthrax. Internal parasites include kidney worms, stomach worms, round worms and whipworms. Liver flukes and trichinosis are also found in hogs. External parasites include dog ticks, fleas and hog lice.

What is pseudorabies and swine brucellosis?
Pseudorabies, also known as "mad itch" is a swine herpes virus that may affect the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems. Despite its name, it is not a rabies type disease but derives its name from the symptoms similar to a rabid animal. It is transmitted primarily through breeding but may also to be transmitted through respiratory secretions of the infected animal. Infected adult swine typically develop flu-like symptoms whereas young pigs can have severe respiratory and digestive symptoms and ultimately die. Pseudorabies poses no threat to humans but may be fatal to domestic livestock and pets.

Swine Brucellosis is an infectious, bacterial, reproductive disease that can cause abortion, low conception rates and other problems. It is transmittable to humans, known as undulant fever, and causes flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains. It is treatable with specific antibiotics.

How do I keep from contracting diseases?
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department recommends all hunters use disposable plastic or rubber gloves when field dressing or cleaning wild swine. Bury or burn the gloves and entrails and then wash your hands with soap and hot water. And finally, make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked.
To address the OP - that is a very light bullet that will not leave a good blood trail due to the fact that it likely will not exit. I would only use that for neck shots and not shots into the heart/lung area. Hitting the fore shoulder with that bullet will not likely result in a killing shot.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:24 PM   #7
oldandslow

tex, 2/9/10

Ninety grains seems a bit small to me for good sized hogs. I usually use 130 grainers in my 270 Winchester Remington 700 and get good penetration all across the chest cavity.

On the edibility of Texas hogs- take a look at the Texas Boars website (www.texasboars.com). Seems to be everything you want to know about Texas pigs including a bunch of good recipes. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 8, 2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Tex S

Quote:
I've eaten a lot of Texas feral hog with zero issues. The following quote is from your link, and frankly doesn't support the concern that you exhibit.
Perhaps I am missing something, but I was thinking the same thing. It seems as if the link is a direct contradiction to Loader9's previous statements.

Care to elaborate Loader9?
Old February 8, 2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Loader9

We get a mag printed by the State and it isn't for the general public as such. There are a lot of game in Texas that you don't want touch...at all. A few years back we did a collection in Big Ben for rabbits carrying the plague. I'll bet that wasn't in yer local newspaper either. We are not allowed to touch a pig/javelina with our bare hands for obvious reasons as I stated above. If you want to make love to one- that's up to you but I'll take the word of a State Biologist before some internet chatter. It's kept me out of the hospital so far and good enough for me. But on another note, if you've hunted hogs in Texas, you also know they are covered with fleas. The same fleas that carry Lyme Disease. We have several folks that got Lyme from those same hogs you are eating. Welcome to reality. Hunting in Texas is not for the squeamish or the stupid.
Old February 8, 2010, 11:05 PM   #10
rbernie

Quote:
But on another note, if you've hunted hogs in Texas, you also know they are covered with fleas. The same fleas that carry Lyme Disease.
According to the CDC and other folks who track Lyme disease, Texas has one of the lowest rates of incidence. The map at the following link (courtesy of the American Lyme Disease Foundation) pretty much illustrates that point:

http://www.aldf.com/RiskMap/texas/texas.shtml

According to the ALDF, Texas manages to rate in the low/no risk, per the following definition:

Quote:
Low Risk: Areas where I. scapularis or I. pacificus ticks have been reported, but host-seeking nymphs are extremely rare (I. scapularis) or infection prevalence is low (I. pacificus).
No Risk: No reports of I. scapularis or I. pacificus ticks.
I have no quarrel with advising folk to mind their Ps and Qs while dealing with wild critters, but there seems to be little profit in scare tactics and other such chest beatings.

Quote:
Welcome to reality. Hunting in Texas is not for the squeamish or the stupid.
Is the implication that anyone that holds a differing view from your somehow stupid? How classy.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:46 AM   #11
Tex S

Quote:
We get a mag printed by the State and it isn't for the general public as such.
So you are saying that when we are talking about the human consumption of feral hogs, the State of Texas is hiding important health risk information from the general public?

What is the good in that?
Old February 9, 2010, 08:53 PM   #12
ForneyRider

I eat the hog and deer we harvest. I think it is good to have the warnings available to let the public know the risks.

Also recommend shooting the females. They smell better and taste better.
Although, soaking the males overnight in brine or milk will help.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:04 PM   #13
Tex S

Quote:
Although, soaking the males overnight in brine or milk will help.

We use the brine trick on all the hogs we shoot. In the ice chest we make multiple layers of salt and ice. It keeps the meat cool, and pushes out all that nasty flavor. I'm not sure how salt and ice works, but it really does make a difference.

I do know that when you empty the water out of that cooler, it is just like blood. I think the brine pushes all of that nasty blood outta there along with the untasty impurities that it contains. Just a theory though.
Old February 9, 2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Loader9

Here's a news release from 2007 about the diseases that these hogs carry. In 2005, the figures were 1% carried Pseudo rabies and 10% carried Brucellosis. In 2007, the date of this release, the figures are 10% carry Pseudo rabies and 20% carry Brucelosis. As of Jan 2010 a study shows that 51% are carriers of Pseudo rabies and 50% are carriers of Brucelosis. If you want to find the study, it was done at Texas A&M under a $500,000. grant from the Department of Agriculture. I don't know if they have it posted yet as they tend to run slow on postings. Lyme disease is alive and well in Texas. Our people who are in the pasture more than most people, are running close to 5% with the disease. The State counselor that helps these people with it starts the conversation with an opening line: "Welcome to hell". All, will tell you it's worse than cancer any day. So be careful in the pastures and hunting hogs. They're not as safe as you think.
http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/news/pr/...thConcerns.pdf

In regards to notifying the public, it's been on national TV, Texas is a quarantine state for swine, and there have been numerous flyers handed out with hunting licenses. I'm not sure what you expect the State to do but it's a lot like driving the car. YOU are responsible for the safety of your actions.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Tex S

I haven't studied this matter very much, but the TPW website condones eating feral hogs. I would think that if pseudorabies and brucellosis were a major health risk, the State would let us know. I have seen warnings listed in the outdoor annual for other spiecies.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Tex S

Switching gears back to the 90gr Sierra, I do think that I am going to try some just to survey the damage.

I have heard of other guys dropping hogs with .223 bullets that weigh half as much as the 90 grainers. I need to finish up some accuracy testing and chronographing of the load, but I feel confident it will do a number on an average sized hog at a reasonable distance.

I will post reports as more info comes in.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:04 PM   #17
Kawabuggy

The FIRST, & SECOND, feral hogs that I killed in Texas were both with my .270 & the Sierra 90 grain varminter. Neither of them took a single step at the shot.

The first hog was hit just in front of the shoulder up towards the neck area (not that they really have a neck). The shot was probably 75 yards, and she was quartering towards me. She dropped instantly. Bullet did not exit.

About a half hour later, another hog came out but would not hold still for the shot. I ended up hitting it high & back. Basically about 8" back from the shoulder, and just below the spine. Again, bullet entered, did not exit, and the hog dropped on the spot. I feel that the varmint bullet is a GREAT bullet for hogs. Reason I say that is simple, if you hit anywhere near the vitals, the little bullet will explode inside the hog and surely (hopefully?) some of the fragments will hit something important. The second hog I shot was NOT good shot placement in the least, but the pink, frothy, blood bubbling out of that itty-bitty hold told me that the lung was fubarred. When I cut this hog open, the intestines, the lungs, the liver, all had rips & tears through them from slivers of the bullet. I could not find a decent sized chunk of lead, or jacket anywhere inside the animal. I think I'd rather have a bullet explode inside the hog, than to shoot a bonded bullet & have it pass all the way through leaving a small entrance and exit hole, and then continue on into the next county where it could possibly hurt someone, or damage property.

I've shot quite a few hogs with many different calibers of guns and have had them run off. I've never had one run off after being shot with the .270 & 90 grainers. How about that.

I was kicked off of TexasBeeotches (boars) because I would not retract that very statement. 90 grain bullets from a .270 will kill a hog. I said it. I stand behind it. Now go out and do it yourself! They worship hogs at Tbeeotches and would be aghast at the thought of shooting one with something other than a 300 Weatherby Magnum to humanely dispatch them with the least suffering.. I've stepped in similar stuff in horse & cow pastures. Please DO NOT go over there and post about shooting hogs with this caliber/bullet combo as they take themselves so far beyond serious that they might crap their pants if they heard this (again! Ha ha!).

Further-if people are killing them with .243's shooting 90 grain bullets, and getting complete pass-throughs-who is going to honestly say that the same bullet weight at higher velocities won't kill them? That's just silly.

And, if you DO hit one and he runs off.... Just wait a few minutes and another one will be along shortly. Hogs are less valuable than the bullet you just fired at/into them..
Old February 10, 2010, 08:52 PM   #18
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.

Quote:
Further-if people are killing them with .243's shooting 90 grain bullets, and getting complete pass-throughs-who is going to honestly say that the same bullet weight at higher velocities won't kill them? That's just silly.
You are not taking into consideration changes to sectional dencity or projectile design/construction. Why do you think there are so many choices available?
Old February 11, 2010, 09:38 AM   #19
Kawabuggy

S&C-Why in the world would I need to take the sectional density, or projectile design or construction into consideration? I've shot hogs with them and they died on the spot. What else needs to be thought about? Do I think they are the best bullet out there for shooting hogs? No. Will they, and HAVE they killed hundreds of hogs? YES!

The OP asked (& I quote) "Do you think that a shot aimed at the heart would penetrate enough to get there? Do you think it would produce a quick, clean kill?" And the answer is a resounding YES! YES! YES! YES! If a hog is standing broadside, and you have a clear shot, aiming just behind the "elbow" right at the chest cavity will put that bullet directly through the animals heart. If you hit this spot-the animal will die-quickly. Further, if you were confident enough in your shooting skills, and took a head shot-again-dead hog.

Please, please, please, tell me that you are not going to argue that this bullet will not knock the snot out of a hog like lightning. If you feel that way, I'll take you along with me on a hog hunt-any weekend you want to come-and I'll SHOW YOU what that little bullet will do out of that caliber.

It's clear we all have our opinions. The OP inquired, and we all shared what we thought is the truth. Now, it is up to the OP to go forth, practice as much as possible, and then put that bullet into a hog. I already know what the answer will be, I'm just hoping he will post back and share his "kill" story.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:39 PM   #20
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day Kawabuggy

Quote:
Please, please, please, tell me that you are not going to argue that this bullet will not knock the snot out of a hog like lightning.
Sorry I gave you the impression that it would not be up to the job. Maybe I should have put a bit more in my post. What I was trying to point out is that simply choising a bullet by weight and expecting the same terminal performance is not a good idea. I see Sierra has lots of projectiles that they say are not suitable for hunting applications. I have no doubt that any one of them will kill.

Quote:
Please, please, please, tell me that you are not going to argue that this bullet will not knock the snot out of a hog like lightning. If you feel that way, I'll take you along with me on a hog hunt-any weekend you want to come-and I'll SHOW YOU what that little bullet will do out of that caliber.
I might argue simply so I can take you up on your generous offer. That is if I ever get over to the US.