The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 24, 2009, 05:03 PM   #1
SPUSCG

shooting left?

shot today and my groups are really tightening up, but there still going a little left of center, none of my rounds even hit the right side of the target. anyone have ideas? i wear contacts, one possible reason, technique, another
Old January 24, 2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Tommy Vercetti

what kind of sights?, are they adjustable for windage?
Old January 24, 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
NYPD13

Try putting more of your index finger on the trigger (assuming your right handed). On double action triggers I tend to go to the first joint, on single action more towards the middle of my finger tip.
Old January 24, 2009, 05:23 PM   #4
NYPD13

This tool should help.
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files...ightHanded.pdf
Old January 24, 2009, 06:25 PM   #5
SPUSCG

kimber, standard sights, shot left with the 229dak too though.

im basic i was shooting right becuase of heavy pulling, they corrected it and i was just shooting left too. no matter what range though, 7,15 and 25 i was slightly left

i am right handed
Old January 25, 2009, 04:38 AM   #6
Hondo11

Quote:
shot today and my groups are really tightening up, but there still going a little left of center, none of my rounds even hit the right side of the target. anyone have ideas? i wear contacts, one possible reason, technique, another
Try aiming a little further to the right...

(Just kidding) If your groups are tight, but left, then I would check my rear sight first. If it's YOU that's pushing them left, then your groups probably wouldn't be tight either. I'd check the sights first.

It could also be your sight alignment. You could simply be unconciously aiming a little left because it looks better to your eye. I have had spells where I have done that before.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:32 AM   #7
SPUSCG

a few different sigs back in basic and a 1911 yesterday, i think its me not the guns
Old January 25, 2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Coyote Hitman

It is likely the way you are pulling the trigger or it could be the trigger overtravel.

Unload the gun, point it in a safe direction, lay a coin on the muzzle end of the slide, and dry fire in the same fashion you would shoot. You'll probably diagnose the problem in short order.
Old January 25, 2009, 03:13 PM   #9
melchloboo

what caliber and what distance?

I again suggest the "ball and dummy" drill. Someone else loads the gun for you, randomly alternating between a live round or empty gun. Usually that will reveal the jerk in anticipation. If you are shooting 2 handed, you may be tightening the weak hand during the trigger pull.
Old January 25, 2009, 03:51 PM   #10
madmag

Normally left eye dominate right hand people shoot a little to the left. I have this problem, but I shoot both eyes open and bring my right arm tight so I am completely behind and centered to the sights.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:20 AM   #11
NRAhab

Try gripping the gun about 20% tighter with your support (left) hand. Most right handed shooters will tend to miss down and left, which a lot of the time is caused by a lack of support from your weak hand (in a modified isosceles). Because of that, when you drive the trigger, the natural inclination of your right arm to "break the wrist" inwards will drive subsequent follow-up shots to the left.

I actually have the very same problem, I have to constantly remind myself to tighten up my support hand.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:13 PM   #12
SPUSCG

ill try it out
Old January 26, 2009, 03:01 PM   #13
ttman

lol I have/had this problem & thought it was my gun. even moved the rear sight all the way left. was still shooting left. then I moved the sight back to center got an experienced shooter to shoot it. he shot it PERFECTLY centered. it was me.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:20 PM   #14
oldkim

Almost never fails - its the shooter not the gun

Yes, modern guns are CNC machined to shoot almost dead on.

If shooting it and its off. Its almost never the gun. Yes, its hard to believe but you do need to do the "make me believe test."

1) Do not adjust the factory sights.

2) Shoot from a bench rest to take as much of you out of the shooting equation. Gun on sandbags, Your arms on the bench, You sitting down. Basically, the only reason your holding the gun is to pull the trigger and prevent the gun from falling.

3) Have an experienced shooter try it out. Have several shooters try it out.

Yes, you have to have others make you believe its not the gun's fault. Its a very odd but common belief.... that if your not accurate its the guns fault. This is true of even seasoned shooters with a new gun.

I had this seasoned shooter (30+ years of shooting). Just got a new XD from the gun show that morning and he was about to "adjust" the factory sights. Of course, he didn't have a sight pusher so he proceeded to bang on the sights with a small hammer - just a mess. Fortunately, I couldn't let him do it. I did intervene and had him do the benchshoot. It was him. Luckily, he only ended up with a few nicks on the front slide (from where he missed with his hammer).

Hope you try it and become to believe it's not the gun -- it's you. 99.999% of the time this is true. Unless you've dropped it and the sights are all messed up or someone had previously adjusted the sights or replaced them with different ones.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old January 26, 2009, 03:39 PM   #15
sserdlihc

Quote:
Unload the gun, point it in a safe direction, lay a coin on the muzzle end of the slide, and dry fire in the same fashion you would shoot. You'll probably diagnose the problem in short order.
good tip!