The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 1999, 07:02 PM   #1
RH

Anybody have any experience with these sights, which are a plastic tube or bead that have a natural light-gathering property that makes them kind of 'glow' ? Brownell's has a bunch of different ones, most from $10-30, some screw into the bead hole, some will attach directly to vent rib, permanent or with magnet/dbl side tape.

I have an old Ted Williams (HighStandard) 20 ga. pump with a 27" vent rib barrel and adjustable choke. I'm thinking of making it a house gun by doing a hacksaw job on the barrel down to 20-22", and one of these glo-type sights on the front. I'm thinking it would be much quicker in low-light, point & shoot target aquisition (the way most home shoots go) than the admittedly more accurate, not to mention more costly ghost rings. I'm talking 5-10 yds max range here, most likely with, say, #6 bird. Any and all comments & advice welcome.

[This message has been edited by RH (edited August 10, 1999).]
Old August 11, 1999, 07:50 AM   #2
CMOS

IMO, there is no need for a sight system on a shotgun. Instinctive firing will do you right if you practice.

CMOS
Old August 11, 1999, 02:00 PM   #3
Cat

I have to agree with CMOS. I've tried scopes, electronic dot sights, and the HiViz sight. If you need to aim, these will work, but they will slow you down. Almost all of your shooting is instinctive with a shotgun. If it fits and you practice, you should do alright. With a bright front sight or dot sight, I found myself aiming all of the time. That slowed me down for bowling pins, pepper poppers, slugs on cardboard targets, aerial targets, etc. It really only helped for longer range slug shooting. I did have to worry about shooting them loose (twice front sights fell off during a match, and once a dot sight broke), or batteries going dead. I don't use them anymore. Learn to shoot without the gimmicks.
K.I.S.S.
Cat
Old August 11, 1999, 09:56 PM   #4
Big Bunny

I've used the "GOBBLE DOT" foresight fibre optics for small targets at long range, but a lazer was better at night. As regards the home defence thing, I concur with previous postings...use open chokes and instincts... speed being the essence !! But prefer a handgun except for defence of stairs etc.***There is no substitute for range work/practice of course.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 12, 1999, 08:32 PM   #5
K80Geoff

I know several people who use these sights for clay shooting. People with eye dominance problems find that the sights help them to keep their proper eye focused properly as the sight is only visible if the stock and barrel are properly aligned.

I know a couple of instructors who recommend them for new shooters.

I find that when I look at the sight I miss, when I mount properly and concentrate on the target I usually hit. Gunfit is very important, the gun must be able to be mouned in the same place each time and must be properly aligned with the eyes. These sights might help in this area as the dot is only visible if the gun is properly mounted.

I would suggest trying one of the magnetic sights, as they don't require modifications to the gun that you may not want if the sight doesn't work. Most pro shops at ranges sell them now.

Geoff Ross
Old August 17, 1999, 08:04 PM   #6
Dave P

I too had to have a fiber optic sight - so I got a Tru Glo ($15) for my Mossberg. Technically it is pretty cool: bright in the day, clips on to barrel, green is nice.
But... I think CMOS and co may be right: too gimmicky, tends to distract the shooter from the task at hand. I find myself concentrating on the sight more than I should.