The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 6, 2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Prof Young

Shell caught behind trigger . . . ?

I should have taken a pic, but was shooting my Henry lever action 22 today and a spent shell case got caught down in behind the trigger. Gun worked fine with it there and I didn't notice it until I was packing up to leave the range. Couldn't pull it out with needle nosed pliers. Had to take the "cover" off the action and the stock as a matter of course and push it out from above. With the cover off I could kind of see how this happened, but it's a touch odd.

This ever happen you you?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 6, 2017, 11:51 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

28,000 rounds through a Henry Golden Boy.
Nothing like you're relating.
Denis
Old September 7, 2017, 06:03 AM   #3
smee78

I have heard of such but never seen it in person, could be just one of thoes once in a million things that happened. Good thing it was still working even with an extra round in the chamber lol.
Old September 11, 2017, 04:23 PM   #4
dgludwig

Quote:
but it's a touch odd.
A little more than a "touch" odd, imo; almost impossible it would seem. I'd be interested in seeing how long in time and how many strokes of the lever it would take for the jam you described to reoccur, even if you tried to make it happen again...
Old September 12, 2017, 03:36 PM   #5
RC20

Well to make a long story as short as possible, our cloths washer had a pump go bad.

Being a mechanic/technician/engineer I used due diligence and inspected all the ports and passages when I had the pump out.

Up one was a valve, ok, that's normal, but the pictures show it orange and this is bright silvery. Ok, pull back, look, check, measure, and no, its close but not the right location. And damned if it does not look like a dime.

So with some finagling I work it sideways and pull out a dime.

Ok, pat on the back (almost broke my arm doing it) and it was, how in blue blazes can a dime get through the drum down there? Still don't know. But it sure did.
Old September 12, 2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Hawg

Don't have a round count but ten years + of shooting a Henry Golden Boy never did that.
Old September 12, 2017, 10:21 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen a .44 AMT pistol with a fired case in the chamber backward. Apparently, the case ejected normally, then the recoiling gun caught up with it and the closing bolt slammed the case into the chamber!

Wouldn't happen again in a million years.

Jim