The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2017, 10:11 PM   #26
drobs

Appreciate all the info.

Haven't placed an order yet.

What do you think about a powder drop tube?
Old August 28, 2017, 10:46 PM   #27
mehavey

Get one of these:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...1/POWDER-CAP-F

and then cut off a 45-70 case to the dimension that when you contact-pour powder into it, it produces the right throw weight.

and/or ... get one of these
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...crements-brass

Personally, I've got about a dozen different 45-70 cases in the box for various rifles, along with the adjustable one for just fooling around. The valved spout on the powder can feeds all of them.
Old August 29, 2017, 08:04 AM   #28
bedbugbilly

mehavy - thanks for checking on the sight and if it will work on a left handed, built backwards, inside out rifle. :-) I bought 50 cal GPR flintlock off of a fellow that had only been fired one range session - got it at such a low price I couldn't pass it up. Mine is a right handed but when saw the OP's post and your post on the sight, it got me to wondering if it would work on a left handed rifle.

For a production rifle, I think they are well built. I'm going to "customize" mine this winter a little. I am going to finish carving the beavertail cheek piece to the correct profile that it should be, do an inlay on the cheek piece and probably add a correct style cap box on the other side. The one thing I don't care for is their lock bolt placement but it is what it is. I haven't had a lot of time of fuss with it yet to see how the lock functions but it seems to work fine. If I ever change out the lock, I'll redo the lock bolts and get them where they should be. I know L & R has a replacement lock but I still hate the lock bolt being in the center - call me a tradionlist!

I'm also pretty impressed with what I'm seeing on the Lyman "trade" rifle. I've read lots of good things about them and they seem to be a good product at a fair price. I have plenty of front stuffers that I've accumulated over the past 50 plus years but Lyman trade rifle looks like a good all around knock about rifle.

I don't hunt anymore but both the GPR and the Lyman Trade Rifle certainly provide a good affordable rifle to hunt with or just enjoy sending lead downrange.

Thanks again for the info. Will be interested to see how the OP likes his GPR - I have a feeling he'll love it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 29, 2017, 09:33 AM   #29
4V50 Gary
Staff

Concur with bedbugbilly on those customizing touches. It does need a steel cap box and an inlay on the cheekpiece would enhance it immensely.
Old August 29, 2017, 11:17 AM   #30
the possum

When I finally get a few minutes to do some shooting, I don't like to waste time measuring each powder charge on site. So I bought some cheap test tubes to contain pre-measured charges for a couple bucks. test tubes

These have plenty of room; could probably fit over 120 grains if need be. I like that they're small enough in diameter to fit down inside the bore, so ya don't spill any powder. And of course it's handy to carry a pocket full of 'em hunting for speedier reloads.

I also bought some of this style for my Dad, but they don't hold as much (up to about 75 grains): Screw cap tubes. They have a really secure screw cap with an O-Ring though, which is nice.

Last edited by the possum; August 29, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old August 29, 2017, 10:53 PM   #31
drobs

Looking at December Christmas Time for my next trip home.
There's a Missouri Alternative Methods Deer hunt that I could hit. Methods legal are BP rifle, Centerfire Pistol, plus some others (Atlatl, etc).

Figure I could get a week of shooting everyday before the season. Then decide - BP rifle or... 7.62x39 pistol.

Probably want to invest in a sling for the GPR.