The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 8, 2012, 08:17 PM   #26
wicat3

Thanks for the info and the photots. I have been looking at gunbroker and it seems I could get a mossberg, ruger or marlin for around 350 but I want to see what my local guy has new or used.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:17 PM   #27
SHR970

If you are a southpaw and left eye dominant I can not express how important it is for you to get a left handed gun.

Wait, save, find (new or used), the left handed gun that closely fits you. It will make a world of difference. In the event that you need to make a follow up shot we are talking the difference of having a chance at the shot and wild pipe dream.

Do not settle for cheap / inexpensive at the cost of fit. When hunting, confidence in your chose weapon goes a long way in putting meat in the freezer.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:31 PM   #28
wicat3

Well thats just it I want to see about feeling them before buying something and not being happy with it. I think I could shoot right handed after a little bit of training but I have to see how it feels. If I try a left handed rifle and it comes much more natural to me then its a no brainer but if its no diffrence then the right handed model then i would have to see which feels the best
Old October 8, 2012, 11:34 PM   #29
goalie

FWIW, I am hugely left-eye dominant. I shoot right-handed bolt guns just fine lefty.

The deer didn't seem to know the bolt was on the wrong side when I killed 'em
Old October 9, 2012, 05:53 AM   #30
wicat3

You dont have a problem with seeing without the check pad there to help you?
Old October 9, 2012, 09:28 AM   #31
goalie

Nope, it's all in mounting the scope.

I actually shot one of those deer right-handed and one lefty. If the shot I'm given requires me to shoot the wrong way for me (right-handed) I do just fine shooting righty with my left eye closed. Well, at least I do at the distances I hunt at in Northern Minnesota, which are usually less than 200 yards, and often less than 100.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:46 AM   #32
coyota1

I understand being left handed in a right handed world, you just adapt out of necessity. I happen to be right eye dominant, but left handed, and left footed. I hold a rifle/shotgun right handed, but I prefer a handgun in my left, but I can shoot fine with my right, so I have 2 trigger fingers. I consider it a leg up.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:13 PM   #33
wicat3

goalie what do you do to mount the scope that makes a diffrence?
Old October 9, 2012, 10:05 PM   #34
goalie

Low rings. So that you don't need a raised cheek-piece to get a stock-weld that allows you to shoulder the rifle and be automatically aligned with the scope.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:22 PM   #35
lefteye

Wicat3 I strongly recommend shooting left handed if you are left eye dominant. I also recommend left hand bolt action rifles. I am right handed, but left eye dominant and learned to shoot long guns left handed about 50 years ago . . . and I'm very glad I did. I can't sign my name left handed, but I shoot long guns and compound bows much better from the left side. And I know several others with the same "problem" and experience.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:02 AM   #36
wicat3

Im going to see if I can handle a left handed model. I can shoot right handed I have been for a few years know as thats how I trained. I see better out my left eye but can see ok with my right. When I shoot pistols im right handed but left eye. I tried to switch for a few reasons and find it akward. I would like to see if the feel of a left handed rifle feels better and more managable

The problem I have found is a left handed model is very hard to come by. If I buy new and find out I dont like the left handed model then I have to figure out a return or trade and lose my money. But besides that is the fact the companys that have left handed models in my price range is limited. The rugger american I can get at a good deal but I dont see them in left handed. So far the easiest one to find that offers left handed is a savage axis model.

Last edited by wicat3; October 11, 2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: forgot to mention things
Old October 11, 2012, 08:03 PM   #37
coyota1

Have you considered a single shot rifle like a Ruger no. 1??
Old October 11, 2012, 09:58 PM   #38
Rmart30

if you have a Dicks sporting goods near you they have SS model 700's on sale for $479. id choose that over a 770 anyday.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:27 PM   #39
jimbob86

Quote:
I can shoot right handed I have been for a few years know as thats how I trained. I see better out my left eye but can see ok with my right. When I shoot pistols im right handed but left eye.
Sounds as if you are left eye dominant .... check that*. If so, shoot left handed, so as to line up your dominant eye to sight line (scope or sights).

Quote:
Have you considered a single shot rifle like a Ruger no. 1??
He's looking for a low cost rifle..... MSRP for a Ruger No. 1 is 2-3X what he is wanting to spend.

* One of two methods:

1) Point your finger (arm extended, finger at eye level) at an object across the room, such as a clock on the wall. Without moving your finger close one eye, then the other. If your finger appears to move off the target object when you close an eye, then that is your dominant eye.

2) Get a buddy and stand facing each other across a room (10-15 feet apart).

1.Extend your arms in front of you with your palms facing away.

Bring your hands together, forming a small hole by crossing the thumbs and fore fingers.

3. Bring your hand s up and focus on your buddy's nose through the hole between your hands.

4. Your buddy can see your dominant eye through the hole between your hands.
Old October 12, 2012, 05:31 AM   #40
wicat3

wow just pointed across the room and closed one eye then the other just to see if it would make a diffrence and it was pretty cool to see. My left eye open stays where I was pointing but my right eye open is far left so I would say im left eye dominat. I figured I was to begin with becuase I trully feel I see longer and better with my left eye and it seems to be more natural
Old October 12, 2012, 07:11 PM   #41
jimbob86

Quote:
My left eye open stays where I was pointing but my right eye open is far left so I am left eye dominant.
Fixed it for ya.

Two of my five kids are right handed, and left eye dominant. I also have a lefty that is right eye dominant...... my dad is also left handed and right eyed.

It is what it is, and you adapt. We have found that the learning curve is easier to shoot with your strong eye, even if using your "off" hand to pull the trigger..... it's harder to learn at first, but the end results are better.
Old October 14, 2012, 04:57 PM   #42
kilotanker22

I would go and buy a Remington sps just a touch over 500 unless you buy at Walmart. $417 with scope and all at Walmart. Doesn't get much better than that and it is a Remington 700.
Old October 14, 2012, 05:04 PM   #43
wicat3

I wish walmart still sold guns around here. I think im going to see what my guy in town has and if I cant find a left handed used bolt then im going to order a savage axis. I held one last night that my budy has and I like it. It had a good action and feel to it even in left handed and the saftey is in a nice location
Old October 15, 2012, 11:15 AM   #44
Carolina115

Mossberg 4x4

Just to give some info for your decision making. My 14 y.o. son has two of the Mberg 4x4s, one is a 270 and the other a 7mm Rem Mag and he is deadly with both. Yesterday we sighted-in the 7mm and with six shots end up with the last 3 shots in the bullseye at 100 yards. These three were literally covered up with a quarter with two of them touching each other and the last one within a half inch. I'm fortunate enough that I could go out and spend a few thousand dollars on a rifle and not have to miss any meals, not bragging--just very fortunate and very thankful every day, but my next rifle is going to be one of these little Mossberg 4x4's. BTW the 270 shoots just as well.

I also have a Howa that I frequently use and yesterday put two rounds in the bullseye at 100 yards and they were touching each other. Needless to say I put the rifle in the case and left well enough alone. I generally suck at shooting so I know in these cases its the rifle making me look good.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase and Wal-Mart and Dicks will both order whatever you need if you ask.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:07 PM   #45
wicat3

Im thinking about looking into a left handed model savage axis. I looked at my buddys the other night and I like the feel for a right handed model. Im going to price them out and see what my gun dealer can do for me.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:14 AM   #46
Joe Chicago

You can get a Savage 11/111 on special from Dicks these days with a Nikon BDC scope for $499.99. I bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 for $425. You can get a good quality rifle from several manufacturers for under $500 - don't restrict yourself to the 'bargain' rifles.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #47
A pause for the COZ

Curious.... What about these guns makes them undesirable?
Not being flippant I just dont know.
They all have an action, Bolt and a barrel.
I just purchased a Savage 11 in 308 win. I like it just fine.
But it does not seem any more or any less accurate than any other rifle I have owned.
I was going to buy a Ruger American in 308. But the Savage was on sale.
Got it for $425 with a Bushnell 3 to 9 power scope.
Ruger with a scope was the same price. So I went with the Savage.

Going to be after another rifle this spring in 7mm 08. Should I shy away from the Ruger?
Old October 24, 2012, 04:19 PM   #48
Rmart30

if you havent found one yet here is a good deal on a new LH Axis in 30-06...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=312155574
Old October 25, 2012, 12:52 PM   #49
GunXpatriot

Agree with the Weatherby Vanguard! Somewhat more expensive than the "budget" guns from all the big manufacturers, but has the quality of a gun you'd pay much more money for! I say, go with the Vanguard!