The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2019, 05:37 PM   #1
E.J.W.

Need some real reviews on trail cameras...

Sick of reading the "bought" reviews on websites. I'm dealing with a trespasser(s) of which the local law office says I need "picture proof" before they can do any more than warn the alleged offender(s). So I don't want the expensive top of the line unit, I kind of like the Campark T80 with WiFi so I won't have to climb the tree each time I go to check the pics.
I feel if I mount it low enough, it will get stolen if spotted so it will need to be high up.
Anyone got any brand/model in the under $100 class they like?
Thanks
E.
Old November 30, 2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Capt Rick Hiott

Its nothing but Moultrie for me. I have 8 of them running right now at the property and they never skip a beat.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM WILDGAME INNOVATIONS!!!!
Old November 30, 2019, 09:14 PM   #3
E.J.W.

Rick, Thanks for the reply. I read some reviews (mostly Amazon so likely bought again) that said the 40 & 50 series (from 2018) were not good at all.
I guess Moultrie admits the 50 series were not weather resistant at all.
It does seem that the current models (300, 700, 8000) do have better reports.
Would you mind sharing which model you have?
Thanks
E.
Old November 30, 2019, 09:16 PM   #4
TXAZ

There are a very large number of options for trail cameras.
I’d suggest going to Amazon and search their 4-stars & up reviews that gave hundreds of reviews and get the features you want.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 30, 2019, 09:49 PM   #5
Doyle

Check out this guy's videos on Youtube. I think he uses Browning trail cams. Whatever he uses, he gets very clear videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ShrikeZone
Old November 30, 2019, 10:58 PM   #6
E.J.W.

TXAZ,
I tend to take in more of the 3-star and less reviews because I would say those are not "bought" reviews. It amazed me to discover how many of these have an Amazon gift card offered in exchange for a positive review given.
Doyle,
He's using Browning Recon Force cameras. They are very nice, but at $200 each I don't want to leave that much camera out there for someone already trespassing to steal.
The "boss" said no more than $100 so I'm chasing the dream here "most camera for the least cash".
Thanks to both for the replies.
E.
Old December 6, 2019, 09:22 PM   #7
E.J.W.

Update

Bought a Moultrie A300i locally. Took it back today for a refund.
Read the little bit of instructions that came with it - was easy to set up.
First thing: the front cover cannot be secured shut. This is for security/trespassing purposes, don't need the perpetrator stealing the SD card so strike 1.
I then powered it up with 8 fresh batteries, inserted the SD card, set it to high res - 3 shots. Set it on the kitchen counter top, all lights on (even the adjoining rooms) Got 1 pic of the dog's tail wagging (not 3) after her doing multiple slow walks through the room.
Picture was fuzzy/grainy B & W. Strike 2.
So we took it and the dog outside where the sun was out and light snow cover on the ground.
Same results on both HI & LO res and single or three shots.
Strike 3.
Capt Rick,
I can only assume you have their higher end product(s). I'm not in the position to spend a lot as once I can provide photo proof of my trespasser to the police, I'll likely never use the thing again.
Thanks
E.
Old December 8, 2019, 09:05 AM   #8
std7mag

I use Wildgame and Moultrie.
I like the Moultrie best due to the trigger time, and they have a 3 picture setting. Aka, when tripped they take a series of 3 pictures, not just the one.
Sometimes with just one picture you get a nose, or a tail. No full detail of what is actually there, or what it's doing.
I've tried the video on them. And stopped using it. Insects can and do trigger the camera. Nothing like 60 videos of moths flying.
Also eats up batteries.
On video batteries last about 2 weeks. Pictures i'm getting 18 months.
Best batteries i've found are the Dollar General alkaline.

No matter what camera you get, i'd recommend getting a cage for the camera. Especially in high risk areas.
Lagbolt or screws to hold the cage in place, lock cable to secure closed.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 8, 2019, 09:20 AM   #9
treg

Non-cellular trail cams are only good after the fact.

Get yourself a cellular camera so that you can alert the local SD when the trespassers are there.

SpyPoint Link Evo has worked well for me.
Old December 8, 2019, 02:07 PM   #10
E.J.W.

std7mag,
Maybe I got a dud? Either way it's already returned. There is a lock box available that fits the Moultrie's.

treg,
We know who the trespasser is,(a new neighbor to the East) but need photo proof of them on my property and doing their crime. The local sheriff said he could not respond quick enough if I were to call and say they were out there now. I looked at the Spypoint product, but don't want to invest that kind of cash on this endeavor.

I walked the East property line today and found two more of my original survey markers that have been there since 1995 when we bought the land, pulled out/gone with incorrectly placed new posted signs 50 feet in on my property and also on an existing neighbors property too. My existing neighbor to the South has been here as long as us, but is uninterested in combating the infringement by the new neighbor to the East.
We had a surveyor offer to check the 1995 marker placements, they are/were correct per the deed. So I painted a few small trees that surround the old marker spot with an orange stripe, the trespasser has since cut those trees with a hand saw. This is why I have no doubt they's not hesitate to steal a camera if they spot one. There are no mature trees close enough to use for mounting a lock box so box or not they would likely just cut the tree.
Thanks
E.
Old December 19, 2019, 08:47 PM   #11
wizrd

Have a Browning - compact model - forget the model name & no. at this time. Screw socket for mounting - very thin brass stamping - failed the SECOND time it was used, - stripped right out of the plastic housing, fixed with some Plast-Aid and a correct size splicing nut. Nine months later - plastic closing latch broke, repaired with epoxy - that broke after a while, fashioned new latch out of some brass sheet. Takes great pics, with long battery life. - Had a Moultrie that ate batteries like an old stoner hippie going thru a bag of Orioles. Got rid of the Moultrie.