The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2018, 05:21 PM   #26
RickB

People seem to think that the army went to JMB in 1911 and asked if had anything in the way of a semiautomatic .45 pistol, and Browning pulled a pistol off the shelf and gave it to the army.
The M1911 was developed, over a five-year period, to please the customer.
The idea that the gun sprang, complete and perfected, out of Browning's head, is crazy.
If the army had asked for a FLGR, magwell, beavertail, adjustable sights, etc., the 1911 would have had them from the get-go, because Browning was working to please his customer.
Old August 13, 2018, 06:25 PM   #27
polyphemus

The U.S. Army asked for the perfect pistol.
John Moses Browning produced it.
Old August 14, 2018, 10:58 PM   #28
Red Devil

The tits-on-a-boar-hog Problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinner View Post

The JMB Solution:

Red
Old August 15, 2018, 06:15 AM   #29
davidsog

I fail to see the reason for sensitivity. HBC is correct. A Spring Guide is NOT a Guide Rod, something which many an aftermarket 1911 manufacturer has been happy to point out too!!
Old August 15, 2018, 01:49 PM   #30
mellow_c

I've heard of Sig guide rods having problems like that. I guess it's not real common, but it happens enough that I've read about it online. I would call Sig and ask them what they recommend, but tell them you don't want the same two piece guide rod. I'm sure they've heard it before and would be willing to set you up with something more solid. This is the only real complaint I've heard about Sig 1911s as far as I can remember.
Old August 16, 2018, 01:13 AM   #31
Tacticool1976

i have the Sig Scorpion carry 1911, and mine also has the small guild rod, and i think it was the first or second time i went to clean it, i noticed it was coming unscrewed.... and was like huh??? this shouldnt be like this.... i put some blue loctite on it, screwed it back in as tight as i could and used a pair of small pliers to really crank down on it, and it's been almost 3 years and it hasnt come undone... i even tried to unscrew the part with my hands ( a couple months ago ) and couldnt get it to budge at all..
Old August 16, 2018, 09:41 AM   #32
grinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticool1976 View Post
i have the Sig Scorpion carry 1911, and mine also has the small guild rod, and i think it was the first or second time i went to clean it, i noticed it was coming unscrewed.... and was like huh??? this shouldnt be like this.... i put some blue loctite on it, screwed it back in as tight as i could and used a pair of small pliers to really crank down on it, and it's been almost 3 years and it hasnt come undone... i even tried to unscrew the part with my hands ( a couple months ago ) and couldnt get it to budge at all..
Thanks for the info. Mine is holding so far with the blue, so i’ll stick with that and keep an eye on it. As another poster suggested, the solid rod I ordered didn’t fit the SIG spring, so I’m holding it until I need a replacement spring. Then I might buy one that fits if I’ve had any problems with the SIG rod.