The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 10, 2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Wendyj

Colt 1911 Compact 45

I've found one slightly used with hogue grips and standard stag grips for $500 out the door. Prices a lot higher on web. I can handle the Glock and FN 45 no problem. Was wondering what recoil difference in the 1911 might be. Have never owned a 1911 and from what I read it appears they are not out of the box shooters without extra smithing. I'd be new to this but I really like the gun. It fits way better in my hands being smaller than the Glock or FN. can't find one to rent so it would be a blind buy. Would also like to cast and reload for it.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:05 PM   #2
PatientWolf

I’ve never shot a compact (only commander and full size), but every other 1911 I’ve shot always brought a smile to my face and I’ve never felt the need to have any of them worked.
My experiences were with Colt, Sig and Springfield Armory.

To me, it sounds like a great deal.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

As far as I know, the only 1911 pistol Colt ever sold with "Compact" in the name was the old roll mark M1991A1 Compact, which was essentially the baseline version of the Officers ACP. It had a 3-1/2" barrel and used 6-round magazines. It was mechanically identical to the more expensive Officers ACP, but had a rather unimpressive Parkerized finish.

In my personal opinion they are great pistols. I say that as the owner of one, which has been one of my primary carry pistols for many years. I would not worry at all about needing a gunsmith to get it running. I haven't had any issues with mine. Over the years, I've owned two M1991A1 Compacts, one Officers ACP, and one Officers ACP Enhanced Lightweight. All shot well and were extremely reliable.

Stag grips were not standard. The M1991A1 grips were black, hard rubber with a circular Colt emblem molded in.

[Edit to add] It took awhile, but I finally found a photo of one. [Photo courtesy of The Sight]:

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; August 11, 2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old August 12, 2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Purple Bikerr

I have one, looks just like the above pic, and the only problem it has had was an extractor that broke at about the 10,000 rd mark. Has close to 17,000 now. If I found one for $500 I would jump on it!!

I do not think (my opinion) the recoil is an issue with these guns. I find it manageable.

If you pass on this, PM me. I am interested.

Last edited by Purple Bikerr; August 12, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old August 15, 2018, 07:39 AM   #5
cw308

I shoot and carry a Colt New Agent 45acp 3" barrel , the pistol is my favorite , great trigger recoil isn't bad at all probably do to the daul recoil spring assembly . I wouldn't pass it up , it sounds like the Colt defender . Do the normal checks when handling the pistol , Hope it works out ,
Old August 15, 2018, 09:23 AM   #6
LineStretcher

You didn't say if this would be for carry but if it is, I would say no. Your carry gun should mirror closely the gun that you are most familiar with. For example, I shoot a full size 1911 (Kimber Custom II) regularly and I'm very familiar with all of it's attributes. My carry is a Sig P238 .380. It's small enough to be carried without printing and the slide lock, safety and mag release are in the same positions as my Kimber. It may not blow a perp into the next county but it will get the job done. In my area it is also the favorite of many peace officers while off duty.

If you are just buying it because it seems like a good deal and you want a smaller lighter 1911 style gun then I might consider it but I don't like buying any gun that I can't inspect and feel prior to putting down the cash.
Old August 16, 2018, 02:12 PM   #7
cw308

The OP my not carry the pistol , my 3" Colt shoots good without any work being done . The frames are tight but still opperate without any problems , recoil isn't sharp , no barrel bushing . I'm the one that carries and shoots the pistol all the time . More accurate the you would ever think from a 3" 1911 and they have great triggers . Bring a snap cap with you , see if the gun shop will let you test with it . If its like new condition , it's definitely worth the price . Easy pistol to clean and maintain . Grip is much nicer then a Glock for me anyway . Has to feel comfortable in your hand .
Old August 16, 2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I wish Wendyj would come back and confirm what model the pistol really is. If it's a 1991A1 Compact (the only 1911 model I can remember from Colt that actually had the word "Compact" in the model name), it has a 3-1/2" barrel, not 3". It's more difficult to offer advice and counsel on a gun without knowing what the gun is.