The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 15, 2016, 12:30 AM   #51
briandg

I can see where a person would alter a gun by cutting it up. Hundreds of chevelle cars were turned into SS models, corvettes have been faked, my brother faked a mustang.
Old November 15, 2016, 09:35 PM   #52
tahunua001

I agree with L cutler. either 33rd series or 2nd series with an uneven stamping but given the depth I would say 33rd is more likely, when combined with the other late war features.
http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
Old November 16, 2016, 05:31 PM   #53
BoogieMan

Not for nothing. But, has there ever been a faked Arisaka? You could never make a rifle for the money that a Arisaka can be bought. Great guns, I have one also.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 16, 2016, 06:24 PM   #54
Howard31

Arasaka

I would venture to guess it's real . I can't believe anyone would go to the trouble of faking a gun that 30 years ago you couldn't give away . It would be like counterfeiting Nickels , not worth the trouble.
Old November 17, 2016, 12:51 AM   #55
44 AMP
Staff

Its a real Arisaka.

In order to be a counterfeit / fake it would have to be presented as something that it is not, and as far as I can see, it was just represented as an Arisaka, which, it is.

While I'm not an Arisaka collector, I know that there are some ultra rare variants that are worth considerable money, and were valuable, even when the standards rifles were dirt cheap.

The OP's gun isn't pretending to be one of those.

Some forgers/counterfeiters are smart and crafty, some less so...

With guns, counterfeit markings to fake a more valuable version is most common, and while I don't know of any cases where a gun was made from scratch to counterfeit a valuable gun there might have been some. WHY anyone would I don't know other than the expectation of significant profit.

Sometimes, that expectation goes unrealized. Two storied about counterfeiters who were less than brilliant come to mind.

First one, the Feds found a guy who was counterfeiting $1 bills. No other denomination, just $1 bills. The Fed watched him for years, learned how he did it, but never prosecuted him, because they learned it was costing him $1.06 to create each fake $1 bill. Some Feds DO have a sense of humor.

The other one was a guy who was making fake $5. He was cutting Lincoln's picture out of a real $5, pasting it on a $1 and running them through a change machine (that took them) and getting $5 in change. So he was spending $6 to steal $5! They did bust him, though I think the charge was felony stupid, more than counterfeiting.
Old November 17, 2016, 10:37 PM   #56
lefteye

Finally I know why my elementary school arithmetic teachers preached that everyone should know how to add and subtract numbers 1 through 9.
Old November 24, 2016, 09:13 AM   #57
reinert

Post #45; Thanks Jim W. for clearing something up my brothers and I have wondered about for a long time. Though I mentioned earlier that I shot my first deer with a 7.7, a couple of years later I acquired another Arisaka that was chambered in '06. It was much easier to buy ammo for of course, but we knew the Japanese rifles were never chambered in '06 (until now). We were thinking the rifle started out as a 6.5, and then re-bored, rifled and rechambered in '06 by some gunsmith in the U.S. for sporting purposes and ammo availability. Is that how it went for those Korean bound rifles? However the caliber change happened, at least I can tell my bros what the deal was from so many years ago when I had that rifle (early '70's).

BTW, that rifle shot very well, so well that my oldest bro wanted it. He traded me straight across for a Model 94 Winchester in .32 Win. Spl. (pre 64, too). I shot my first good 4x4 whitetail with that Winchester, and my oldest son has it now. He's killed deer with it, too. I asked my oldest bro fairly recently if he knew what happened with the '06 Arisaka, and he told me he couldn't remember who ended up with it. Geeze, that was a long time ago in our family's gun world. But again, now we know the story on the '06 chambered Arisaka; an old mostly forgotten question cleared up.

Happy Thanksgiving to all on TFL