The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 13, 2015, 09:39 AM   #76
Bigdog57

Don't know about Starline brass, but my Nagant has no problem with Remington and Winchester .32-20 brass. No need to thin the rims. Depends upon the particular gun I guess?
Paid less than a C-note for mine, but that was a good many years ago. ALL guns have gone up. A certain semiauto rifle I bought for $375 (which was high then!) is going for over six bills now. ANYTHING with any real historical interest is climbing fast.
Old January 13, 2015, 09:39 AM   #77
jimbob86

I must be doing something wrong with the .312" XTP's then ..... they seemed to work.
Old January 13, 2015, 10:06 AM   #78
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
I must be doing something wrong with the .312" XTP's then ..... they seemed to work.
You mean it can go in the cylinder with gas seal? Mine couldn't.

With 0.312" bullet I had to trim the brass way back (no seal). It worked alright. But the 0.308" bullet with seal gave me much better group with 20% more speed. Besides 30 carbine bullets are cheap, about 10 cents a round, and I have a lot of them.

Regardless, point is hand loads with gas seal is doable with good results. It is not that hard either.

-TL
Old January 13, 2015, 10:40 AM   #79
amx4080

Quote:
I hand load the rounds gas sealed using cheapy Lee .30 carbine die. The bullet is 110gr copper plated for .30 carbine. Powder is trail boss. Shoots surprisingly well.

Managed to lighten the trigger pull by bending the main spring. DA is still astrocious as supposed. The screw trick is useless. It is not doing anything but limiting the trigger rest. But revolvers require complete trigger reset.

-TL
Have you written up how you're reloading for this cartridge? I have the Lee dies for 7.62x38 Nagant and have only succeeded in ruining brass in my attempts.
Old January 13, 2015, 10:46 AM   #80
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by amx4080 View Post
Have you written up how you're reloading for this cartridge? I have the Lee dies for 7.62x38 Nagant and have only succeeded in ruining brass in my attempts.
My previous post on the subject a while ago didn't attract much interest, only one response if I remember correctly, so I didn't elaborate much. I could write up the details if folks find useful.

-TL