The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 15, 2014, 06:04 AM   #26
tiltrotor22

Cool

I placed a bid on that upper handgaurd, hopefully I win it and ill get the barrel band.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:05 AM   #27
Mosin-Marauder

Tiltrotor, is there any specific amount of coats/coat you want on it? I try not to touch the barrel channel too much as that could affect accuracy and it might not fight correctly back in the stock. My process is pretty simple, I get most of the nicks and gouges out along with the original finish with 100 grit sandpaper, then I move to a moderately lighter grit, like 150 grit, then when I'm confident the stock looks good and all the nicks and gouges I could get out are out and all the original finish is gone. I polish with very fine sandpaper to give the stock a very smooth feel. 400 grit is what I used on my 514 but I can go higher/lower depending on your preference.
I'd also PM you updates on the progress I've made with the stock as I go along.
Just PM me some details or anything else you'd like to know, I'd be happy to do it whenever you want to ship it. I'll provide you my mailing address when you wish to ship it. Just make sure it's in a layer of bubble wrap or a newspaper or something so it doesn't get any unnecessary imperfections during shipping.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 15, 2014, 08:09 AM   #28
tiltrotor22

Ok

I will certainly let you know. I will wait to see if I win the bid for the upper hand guard first, or find another one so I can send everything at once so when re-finished everything will match.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:18 AM   #29
Mosin-Marauder

Great. Yeah, That is a good idea about the hand guard. Just for future reference, do you want a satin or more glossy finish?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 15, 2014, 02:20 PM   #30
tiltrotor22

Hmm

Im guessing more of a satin finish, if glossy more semi-gloss. Nothing very very shiny. If I remember correctly I might have a piece of wood laying around from when I built my kegerator and I finished a piece of wood on it. Ill send it as well and its about what I would want.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:38 PM   #31
tahunua001

man I sure missed a lot here.
Quote:
It depends; An original, unrestored non-ground rifle can bring $400.00+ in today's crazy market.

A "restored" gun would not have the value of an original, unless the seller didn't disclose that it wasn't original, and we all know that there are plenty of dirtbags out there who do that.

(And you know who you are.)
this is not really very true. assuming it's in correct condition, a new barrel is not serialized, a new stock is not serialized and if I recall correctly none of the stock bands are serialized either so as long as it's restored with period correct parts, it'll hold just as much value as any other original non restored arisaka assuming that the bolt receiver and trigger group/guard/floor plate all match. that has been the rallying cry of springfield, 1917, and m1 garand shooters buying from CMP/DCM for decades. there is a difference between restored and beautified.

OP by faux 30 carbine I mean turning the rifle into a rifle that somewhat resembles the type 38 carbine. the japs cut a lot of their 38 long rifles down from 31 inch barrels to 20 inch barrels for special purpose use. yours looks like the barrel is quite a bit shorter than 20 inches so it would be a clever, slightly shorter fake that has a lot of the same characteristics, much like the guys that buy the gibbs rifles which resemble springfield 1903A4 sniper rifles but are really just chopped up, spruced up 1903A3s with new stocks and barrels. with the right stock and wood working skills, a person could make your rifle look a lot like a type 38 that was shortened to a carbine for special purposes.
Old August 16, 2014, 02:24 PM   #32
tiltrotor22

True

Yea, nothing else is serialized so it would be all good restoring it, but im thinking that leaving is a carbine length (custom) would be cool.
Old August 16, 2014, 05:03 PM   #33
Gunplummer

Some stock metal is serialized, but usually it was done when the Japanese reworked their own 6.5's. Often it is underneath (The side facing the wood) when it is there. The bayonet lug almost always has the last three digits of the serial number on both the Type 38 and 99. What is the big deal with serial numbers anyway? Those are the guns that were usually in reserve anyway. Arisakas had a lot of field repair done to them. I have seen a lot of receivers on T-99's that were in service and had no serial number at all. Near the end of the war anything useable was issued in a hurry.
Old August 16, 2014, 05:13 PM   #34
gyvel

Quote:
this is not really very true. assuming it's in correct condition, a new barrel is not serialized, a new stock is not serialized and if I recall correctly none of the stock bands are serialized either so as long as it's restored with period correct parts, it'll hold just as much value as any other original non restored arisaka assuming that the bolt receiver and trigger group/guard/floor plate all match. that has been the rallying cry of springfield, 1917, and m1 garand shooters buying from CMP/DCM for decades. there is a difference between restored and beautified.
The problem is with the unscrupulous greedy dirtbags out there who try to sell such things as "original." And you know they exist. And some of them are pretty well-known across the nation in the gun collecting circles.

As I said before: You KNOW who you are.

If that gun were mine, I would try to restore it to its original form, not for the sake of profit, but because I have an intense dislike of any military firearm that someone has tried to do a butchered-up sporterizing job on. One of my life's missions in collecting has been DE-sporterizing as many guns as I can, providing they are restorable. This one is.

I have restored many such firearms for my own personal collection, and have never represented the few that I have sold as original, unless they are truly original.

The rare exceptions to my own rule is if I have replaced a very minor part such as a screw that had a badly chewed head, or a pin that somebody badly mauled trying to get it out, for example.

Nothing would please me more than for the OP to "restore" that gun to its original condition since it represents a very dramatic, world-changing and traumatic period in our history.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 16, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old August 16, 2014, 05:34 PM   #35
Mosin-Marauder

Saw some guy trying to pass off a Yugo M24/47 the other day for $490 because "it had a different sight hood.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 16, 2014, 06:54 PM   #36
tiltrotor22

Ok

I would be more than happy to restore the rifle to its original condition if I were able to find the parts. With the amount of Arisakas produced it is still hard to find parts for it, especially a stock in decent condition. If the stock were restored would that affect value? Or would you leave it all banged up and dirty with plenty of scratches in it?

I will send the current stock to be re-finished and while that is happening I will be looking for a original stock. I will most likely build two rifles, one original and one carbine. It will be the best of both worlds.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:09 PM   #37
tahunua001

again, difference between beautification and restoration. an absolutely pristine stock, especially on japanese rifles is almost unheard of and would raise a lot of questions as to how it made it through 2 world wars without a ding. fine grit sand paper(I like 200 grit or finer) to get rid of the top layer of dirt, oil and grime and a few coats of boiled linseed oil will do wonders to the stock.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:11 PM   #38
gyvel

Quote:
I would be more than happy to restore the rifle to its original condition if I were able to find the parts.
Part of the "satisfaction" of restoration to me was the hunting down of the parts.

I realize every person is different and has different levels of patience and persistence, but it is how your firearms skills and knowledge increase.

As always: YMMV

Personally, I think Mosin Marauder will eventually become a world-class parts scrounger and restorer.
SIFE
Old August 16, 2014, 08:57 PM   #39
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
Personally, I think Mosin Marauder will eventually become a world-class parts scrounger and restorer.
Oh, stop it, you.

I try to help people when I can. I enjoy the challenge the care required in this kind of stuff (You can't Dremel all your problems away! (But one certainly helps!)). I'm going to have to find some new sandpaper, as I used up most of mine on my 514 Project. Also need to order some of that Micro-Mesh you told me about!

OP, do you need anymore parts? I can certainly look.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 17, 2014, 06:07 AM   #40
tiltrotor22

Hmm

I am still bidding on the upper handgaurd and the bid ends in 6 hours. I am currently the high bidder but ill be asleep when the auction ends so hopefully I will. I also need the barrel band, but its in one of the posts above. The big thing I can think of I need if I do a complete restore would be a complete original stock in at least average condition and a barrel in at least good condition with no pitting and the original front sight in place.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:29 AM   #41
Mosin-Marauder

I'll keep an eye out for an original stock and barrel for you. I'll also see if I can watch the auction. It ends in an hour. It's up to $55 and I'm not sure if you're the high bidder.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 17, 2014, 10:37 AM   #42
Mosin-Marauder

I'll keep an eye out for an original stock and barrel for you. I'll also see if I can watch the auction. It ends in an hour. It's up to $55 and I'm not sure if you're the high bidder.

Edit! Look what I just found!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/361018838977?nav=SEARCH

If you end up losing the auction, this is an alternative. Original Type 38 Stock and Handguard. No one's bid on it yet, either, auction ends in 11 hours I'll be asleep by then, but you might be able to bid and win on it. Good luck. Still looking for a barrel.

Edit Edited, just found a barrel from numrich. I doubt you'll get a bad one, as I assume it's luck of the draw. For the price, I doubt you'll get a bad one. Not sure if it has the front sight. I'll keep looking.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/499790.htm

Did you win the bidding?
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; August 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old August 17, 2014, 02:05 PM   #43
tiltrotor22

Ugh

No, I did not win the bid. It jumped 20 bucks while I was sleeping.
I might put in for the auction you posted. Ill wait till the auction is almost over before I do though. I think I can win this one.
Actually, i'll put a bid in now.

I am going to call numrich tomorrow and ask about the barrel. If its an original and comes with a front sight, then i'll buy it.
Old August 17, 2014, 02:12 PM   #44
Mosin-Marauder

Best of luck!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 18, 2014, 11:35 AM   #45
tiltrotor22

Nope

I ddint win the bid. I was the only bidder until the final 15 seconds when someone decided to out bid me. I was fast enough to increase the bid to 162.00 before the time ran out but the other person won and paid 165 for the stock. I hate when people do that. I thought for sure id win. Guess ill keep an eye out for another one.
If I can find a complete rifle for sale with a defaced mum id buy it and just use the parts from it. If anyone see's one let me know.
Old August 18, 2014, 12:17 PM   #46
Mosin-Marauder

Here's one in pretty rough shape. I might be able to get most of that out, can't get all of it out. But it'd take alot of work to get the dings, nicks, and gouges out.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400753072083?nav=SEARCH

This one looks quite a bit better. It even includes the cleaning rod and barrel bands. Fairly new auction. I could definitely do a better job on it.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181497486703?nav=SEARCH

Good luck! I'll continue to look for anything you need.

Did you hear from numrich about the barrel? If not.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251618271465?nav=SEARCH
Not sure about the bore, but includes the sights.
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; August 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old August 18, 2014, 05:45 PM   #47
tiltrotor22

Hmm

Ill be keeping an eye on them.
I showed my rifle to a dealer here in town and he had some interesting things to say about it. Some of which I knew but he was convinced that although the rifle was modified, he thinks the Jap Arsenal modified it during the war.
I wont sit here and say it was for sure, especially when I think otherwise, but who knows.
He said they used to cut them down to that length exactly the way mine is for special purposes. It may have, and it may not have been them, but i'll still be returning it to full length.
Just thought it was interesting that he thinks that. He knows a great deal about the Arisakas.
Old August 18, 2014, 05:55 PM   #48
Mosin-Marauder

That is rather interesting. Hope you get the parts you need. I'll keep looking if needed. Good luck!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 18, 2014, 06:25 PM   #49
tiltrotor22

Yes

Please do, i'll need all the help I can get to get those parts.
Old August 18, 2014, 07:01 PM   #50
Mosin-Marauder

I think you'd be best off trying to win this bid, as this is the best looking stock I could find, and it is complete with bands, cleaning rod and buttplate( I think).
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181497486703?nav=SEARCH

And calling numrich to see if the barrel they advertise(https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/499790.htm) includes sights.
If not, I'll keep looking for another barrel that's below $200.
William Tecumseh Sherman