The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2013, 04:56 PM   #51
jimbob86

I just ran some of the Prvi 98 gr stuff over my chrony ...... that stuff is atrocious ...... AVG MV was 659 ....... velocities were all over the place.... a low of 485 (eeek! squib!) and high of 702 ...... I did manage one 4" 7 round group from 10 yards..........

I just KNOW that I can make better ammo than that!
Old June 3, 2013, 05:17 PM   #52
JD0x0

Quote:
I just ran some of the Prvi 98 gr stuff over my chrony ...... that stuff is atrocious ...... AVG MV was 659 ....... velocities were all over the place.... a low of 485 (eeek! squib!) and high of 702 ...... I did manage one 4" 7 round group from 10 yards..........

Yeah, that sounds pretty terrible. I think the standard loading was a 97gr @about 1070 fps. And the nagant revolver was supposed to be fairly accurate.

Edit: found this on wiki

Quote:
Most commercially loaded ammunition for the Nagant, including Fiocchi and the "СССР"-marked yellow box imports, are target ammunition, and do not have great stopping power. The low power of these rounds has given the Nagant a reputation as an underpowered sidearm. However, the original military ball cartridges fired bullets in the 6.5 g (100 grains) range at up to 330 m/s (1,100 ft/s), making them close to the .32-20 Winchester and .32 H&R Magnum in power. These original military ball rounds are very hard to find and are considered collector's items.
Old August 12, 2013, 08:47 PM   #53
jimbob86

Quote:
And I DID!

Just a few rounds to prove to myself I could do it -

100gr .312" XTP over 8.5 gr H110 gave me 1026 f/sec and the cases dropped out of the cylinder without using the ejection rod do-hickey.

115gr .314" LFN of uncertain parentage over 8.5 gr H110 gave me 980 f/sec and lots of lead in the barrel ....... ejection was stickier, too ......

Recoil was much stiffer than the PPU target loads, but I kept all the rounds on a paper plate at 30 feet, offhand, even after the plate fell backwards at a 45 degree angle ......

I'll be making more and shooting off a rest for groups, when I get some more time ..... work has me swamped!
Old August 13, 2013, 10:19 PM   #54
jimbob86

OK- I have a few minutes .....

I have read elsewhere on the net that .309" bullets should be used.

I slugged my barrel (put some penetrating oil in the barrel and pushed a .314" lead bullet through it) and got .309" land to land and .311" groove to groove. I decided to go with a .312 bullet.

I also sized the loaded rounds like dmmccarter did, but used the Lee Nagant sizer instead of the M1 sizer. Before I sized them again (after seating the bullets), they would not chamber ...... I am wondering what size the bullets were when they went into the barrel ........

Thoughts?
Old August 27, 2013, 03:08 PM   #55
gandog56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86;

Heck, I can RELOAD better ammo than that!

P.S. if you don't reload, save me those cases!

Tags
.32 , 1895 nagant , revolver , soviet