The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 18, 2011, 05:53 AM   #26
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofCydonia
Didn't they use BLO on the walnut stocks and shellac on the beech ones?
Yes that's what is commonly found. I have seen photo's of walnut finished with shellac reported as original. I think Tung oil gives you a better looking finish but it's not correct if your doing a restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfk55
Nope. Its not a refinish. The edges are sharp and the finish is correct.
A sanding block would keep those edges sharp and well defined also. That stock has a lot of shine for a 65 year old shellac job. It is possible it spent it's life in a gun cabinet, but the metal wear doesn't match the wood finish.
Old June 18, 2011, 06:44 AM   #27
zombieslayer

Congrats on a beautiful gun. You have great taste in rifles. I have an m39 too, and love it. The k31 will be next. Now go get some rounds downrange!
Old June 18, 2011, 06:53 AM   #28
zfk55

Super busy today and I'll be back when I can Meatsaw.
Any bluing on the op-rod is usually an indicator of little useage. If it were mine I wouldn't refinish that particular rifle. The P does mean private and that's a good indicator it was likely very well cared for. My rifles with the fine finishes began as a bit on the rough side.

There's a lot of good info on refinishing here.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...ated_at&forum=

Its hard to get a dark stain out of a stock, but I have done it with careful bleaching. Try not to get the fore end too wet for too long with any medium. They're slender and actually can be warped.
Raw Linseed Oil is usual and careful sanding can give you a great base to begin with. This is a lengthy subject and determining whether a k31 is refinished or not isn't always easy without the rifle right in front of you. Its not likely that a rifle with a finish like yours with minor dings and dents was refinished. If someone did refinish it (professionally looking) its also not likely there would be any denting at all. Nothing is cast in stone and it is hard to tell from photographs. One last point... Most refinished k31s will show a minor difference in color between the stock and the finger grooves.
Back when I can.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'

Last edited by zfk55; June 18, 2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old June 18, 2011, 07:22 AM   #29
zfk55

One thing you might check. The Madcrater has a point. Check the year on the stock itself. It's not at all unheard of for the arsenal to do a stock replacement if the original was not repairable. There's often a difference between the manufacture year of the rifle and the date on the stock, but usually not more than a few years.
A good photo of the finish on the full exposed part of the receiver and the bolt handle would help too. The bayonette lug seems to have a few dings, but............... who knows for sure?

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old June 18, 2011, 10:13 PM   #30
MEATSAW

The stock manufacture date was August 1943. The serial number on on the parts (8003xx) puts it in the 1944 range. This makes sense: the stock was made in '43 and then assembled with all the other part and serial numbered in 1944. I will edit this to add some pictures of the receiver/bolt handle. But I just got home from work and I require some food.
Old June 19, 2011, 09:25 PM   #31
CjAl

don't refinish that rifle. f you want a walnut rifle to refinish I have a nice one I'd trade you for that. it has the more normal darkish color. that one is nice and it's different.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:11 AM   #32
zfk55

I can see the dents and dings on that stock, and the cartouche is still strong. I don't believe it to be a refinish. The only other possibility is maybe the stock is from a different rifle, but I think it's unlikely.
From the op-rod photo it appears to have a lot of bluing on it........ but........ who knows for certain. All we have are opinions.

Latigo

Old June 20, 2011, 06:31 PM   #33
MEATSAW

And the K31 continues to impress. Was able to go to the range today with my daughter and I was able to put some time on the K31 while she was shooting the .22. I also brought along my M39 too. Of the 2 the K31 is noticeably more accurate. At 50 yards with iron sights I was shooting 5-shot, 1" groups with the K31 and 2" groups with the M39. The sights are better on the Swiss as well. The one thing that I did like better on the M39 is the stock. It has a slightly longer length-of-pull and the pistol grip is much more comfortable in my hand. I found that I was able to find a much more comfy shooting position with the M39 over the K31. I think if I put a butt pad on the K31 to make it a little longer it will help! Both are a joy to shoot and I am very happy to own them both.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:45 PM   #34
zfk55

Meatsaw, go here and scroll down to the Buttpad Adaptor. It allows you to install a Pachmayer or whatever without changing your stock.
www.swissproductsllc.com

Old June 20, 2011, 11:42 PM   #35
MEATSAW

Perfect. I took some dimensions of the butt and no one makes a butt pad that is small enough. Are the butt pads adapter dimensions the same as stock? The grind-to-fit ones make me a little leery, how do you grind soft rubber?
Old June 21, 2011, 04:52 AM   #36
zfk55

Its pre-formed to fit the k31 exactly.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...tt+pad+adaptor

http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...tt+pad+adaptor

Latigo

Old June 27, 2011, 01:51 AM   #37
MEATSAW

I know I will catch hell from some of you but I needed to do something with the finish. In some places the original shellac was really good but it other places it was quite terrible (flaking, gone, etc.). After much deliberation I conceded to give her some new life. To be clear: sandpaper never touched this. I used alcohol to remove the original shellac with 0000 steel wool. I then mixed a dark walnut and red mahogany oil based stain. This was a delicate procedure because I was pretty picky about how I wanted the color to come out. Not dark, not light...just right with a touch of red. Once I got that I then went over it with several light coats of tung oil varnish.

I am so much happier with this rifle now. Collector value doesn't matter to me as much as some people here: having a rifle that's mine, that makes me happy is the important thing. I am taking it to the range tomorrow to zero the iron sights.

Next up: recoil pad, and the Swiss mount and a scope.

Old June 27, 2011, 08:06 AM   #38
zfk55

Looks fine. Are you using the buttpad adaptor?

Latigo

Old June 27, 2011, 08:36 PM   #39
MEATSAW

Yes I will. I think its the best option.
Old July 13, 2011, 04:54 PM   #40
MEATSAW

Here's the latest and greatest on this fine rifle. I put a Swiss Products scope mount topped with a Vortex 4-12x40. I used Brownell's Warne 7.3 steel rings. This is about as solid as they come. I can't wait to take it out to the range tomorrow and see how she shoots. I am very impressed with quality of all of the above products. The scope is EXCELLENT for spending less than $200.

Old July 13, 2011, 06:30 PM   #41
zfk55

Beautiful. Take an extra pair of socks to the range. The first pair are going to get blown off.

And thanks for selecting our mount.

Old July 14, 2011, 06:30 PM   #42
MEATSAW

Range report with scope...

Yea, somebody owes me some socks. Posted below is a picture of my first 5-shot group after apparently acquiring a zero at 100 yards. 5 shots, 100 yards and a spread of 1.067". The 6th shot I waited until things cooled down for about 25 or so minutes. It center punched the bullseye. At this point I packed things up and called it good. In shooting and in hunting it is a beautiful thing when cold bore + POA = POI. What I find most interesting is that I made no adjustments to the elevation on the scope. Its still sitting at "0" -- apparently the mount and the rings on this rifle match up perfect for 100 yards.

I really like this setup. The Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 is really good. My only complaints would be eye relief and exit pupil. I'm used to looking through my Leupold Mark 4 which has lots of eye relief and a large exit pupil. The Vortex has really great optics and features. I do not think there is a better scope out there for under $200. I love it on this mount because I can use the iron sights of the weapon for close shots (less than 30 yards) and the scope for everything else.

When I got home and cleaned the rifle I double checked the mount and the rings. Still as solid as a rock and tight as could be.

I think with a little more shooting and a little luck I can start popping some sub-moa 5-shot groups.
Old July 16, 2011, 12:58 AM   #43
cracked butt

Quote:
I think with a little more shooting and a little luck I can start popping some sub-moa 5-shot groups.
They all shoot about the same and are capable of doing it.
You might try shooting longer distances with it if possible- 200,300 or more, then you will really enjoy the rifle.
Old July 16, 2011, 08:23 AM   #44
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATSAW
Perfect. I took some dimensions of the butt and no one makes a butt pad that is small enough. Are the butt pads adapter dimensions the same as stock? The grind-to-fit ones make me a little leery, how do you grind soft rubber?
Adding a recoil pad is very easy. You start with a over size pad and grind to fit. If you have a belt sander it's quick and easy. You can do it by hand but is more labor intensive. You use course grit sand paper and finish with fine grit. To get a nice finish on the rubber you wipe it down with Ballistol.

More SP products.

Aftermarket sights

Sahli

Furter
Old July 16, 2011, 10:04 AM   #45
zfk55

Nice pic sequence, MadCrater. On an untouched k31 (buttstock not sanded at the buttplate roll-over) The Buttpad Adaptor is nearly a perfect profile. Yours looks good, MadCrater. Nice job.

Old July 16, 2011, 10:49 AM   #46
the rifleer

madcratebuilder- How does that barrel damper work for you? do they work as advertised? do they really cut a group by 30+ %?
Old July 16, 2011, 10:58 AM   #47
meatgrinder42

Great rifles, accurate and dependable. I've been thinking about getting one for a while now.
Old July 17, 2011, 08:19 AM   #48
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rifleer
madcratebuilder- How does that barrel damper work for you? do they work as advertised? do they really cut a group by 30+ %?
Accuracy increase was 1 moa to .8 moa +/- on best average. Possible more from reduced recoil of the brake and butt pad combo. The rifle is much more comfortable to shoot five round groups for an hour or more. Before the pad and brake at about twenty rounds I would start to anticipate the recoil and that screws accuracy. The 7.5 Swiss and 8mm Mauser both have a pretty good recoil, I'm getting to be a ***** in my old age, I use a slip on butt pad on all my bolt guns now.
Old July 17, 2011, 09:45 AM   #49
zfk55

Rifleer, our notes about decreasing group size is assuming that you have a correct load developed to begin with. If your load data is giving you unacceptable groups to begin with, I'm not sure how your rifle would react positively with the Damper.

The proven results using our Damper on a k31 are based on the projectile being a 175 gr, and no other weight. We've had emails from shooters using the3 168 SMK telling us it works just as well for that bullet weight, but the design is specifically meant for the GP11 and 175 projectile reloads. Whether or not it works well with a 150 is something I don't know.

It took nearly six months and some 35 different Damper profile, weight and placement prototypes to arrive at the one we now send to distributors. Swiss Products takes a lot of time with R&D and field testing before we ever put anything out with our name on it. Example:

Late last year our Type P/S Diopter was finally accepted by the Swiss SSV as being Swiss sanctioned for all international shoots, including in Switzerland itself. This process took a full 12 years and as many prototypes to gain acceptance. We're the only American company ever approved by Switzerland in that arena.

Interesting thing is that every single prototype submitted to the SSV disappeared into the membership of the Board of Directors, including the last one. It's considered bad form to request the Swiss return our un-approved Diopters, so their membership apparently liked even our early ones.

Our Type P/S Diopter beat the Germans and the Swiss mfg's in that it's the world's only true k31 1,000 yard Diopter that works without any rail changes at all. For an American mfg to get's it's foot in the door in Switzerland is a feat in itself, so........... Does that Damper really work? Waddayathink?

Old July 17, 2011, 06:14 PM   #50
DrLaw

Meatsaw, did you take the buttplate off yet to see if you had the previous owner/issued person's tag under the plate yet? Many Swiss rifles have them. Both of my K31's did.

The Doc is out now.