The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 4, 2011, 08:24 PM   #26
Slamfire

Well just be nice to the thing. You do not have to load maximum loads in the 308 to have excellent accuracy. The 308 is very flexible in that regards, the load in the target is a 168 match with 39.0 grains AA2495. AA2495 is accurate arms copy of IMR 4895 but stupidly they call it something different and confuse everyone.

This load is moving around 2450 fps and is very mild.

Use good brass and mild loads, and that should keep you out of most trouble with this rifle.

Old April 4, 2011, 08:54 PM   #27
TX Hunter

Thanks Slamfire

I have most of the reloading components, just need to get some dies for .308, I will write this load down.
Old April 6, 2011, 08:15 PM   #28
Bigdog57

I have shot surplus 7.62X51 ammo thru my M1916, but now load it down to approximately '.30-40 Krag' pressure level. Much more comfortable to shoot, and not so stressful on the old action. I carefully mark the ammo boxes for this use, to not confuse them with the full-power 7.62X51 ammo I load for my FR8 and CETME rifles.
The Modelo C Cetme, which all US-market CETMEs are based on, are designed for the 7.62X51 round, NOT the earlier 'CETME' round - that was used in the initial Modelo A and B rifles, never fielded in great numbers. This has been verified by CETME users in Spain, who have translated the original manuals, over on the Tuco's Gunboards CETME forum.
One interesting thing on my Spanish Mausers is that my M43, M1916 and FR8 all have original bent bolt handles. A bit rare to see the FR8 with it, but my M43is the Spanish Airforce Model with standard bent handle, and heavy-eared front sight - different from the common Army model. This is the one often mistakenly called the "M-44".

My M43 currently wears a shortened Brazilian '08 stock, as the original was sadly bubba'd.....

Old April 7, 2011, 08:30 PM   #29
TX Hunter

Big Dog

Those are some neat looking rifles, shame someone messed up the stock on your 43.
Im kind of funny about rifles I guess. To me the Bolt Action Mauser in its full military configuration looks awesome. As well as the O3 and others.
I have even thought about trying to make a modern Sporter, like a Winchester Model 70 look like a Mauser. To some this would be crazy, but I just like all the wood and they style. But also like loading with stripper clips, and the modern rifles cant do that.
Old April 7, 2011, 08:49 PM   #30
WhiskeyTango

I had a customer that wanted a Spanish Mauser (1916) re-barreled. It had been re-chambered at the factory in .308. I had allot of problems with that gun. The 1st was that it's heat treat was not the greatest, and it was determined that it was unsafe to have the thing chambered in .308 to begin with, regardless of whether or not the factory did it. We decided to go back to the original 7x57 chambering. The 2nd (and the most headache inducing) was that the action was drilled just a little off center. The thing would pass headspace checks on the lathe, then not chamber a dummy round. The barrel was threaded dead center, (I know some of you are thinking I screwed the barrel up but trust me on this!) so when you tried to close the bolt the round wasn't lining up properly, causing the extractor to shave off some of the case. We ended up opening up the bolt face a little and that solved the problem, the gun shot fine after that. The point is be wary, you have to be careful with all old battle rifles, especially ones made during a time of war.

Member-RMGO, Member-NRA, NRA Certified RSO
Old April 8, 2011, 10:01 AM   #31
cracked butt

Quote:
This Swedish Mauser is the exact same action as a Spanish Mauser. Don’t know what happened here but there is a cracked receiver ring and blood on the ground. Obviously an over pressure event of some sort, and the shooter was not protected by this old action.
To add to that, Swedish mausers are much stronger than the Spanish Mausers.

I wouldn't buy a spanish mauser and shoot anything .308 or 7.62 NATO through it, reduced jacketed or cast loads would be the only thing I would shoot.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:24 AM   #32
TX Hunter

I ordered some 7.62 Nato, next will be some headspace gages, then a set of Dies or .308 I think I will load down to about 30 30 velocity, should bring the pressure down.
I have been shooting a 98 Paterned 8MM and I know its stronger, but I like the look of the Small Ring Mauser. the .308 is a perfect hand loaders cartridge, you can make it do what you want it to.
Ive got a Ruger M77 .308 for the high power stuff.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:05 PM   #33
finloq

As was posted earlier. No Spanish Mauser was converted to fire the 7.62 CETME round, that was an experimental round made exclusiveley for the CETME A model that was never fielded. The Spanish CETME B and C models fired the 7.62 Nato round.
I have reloaded for my FR8 and have had success doing so, but as long as DAG or Radway Green ammo is still available, why bother?
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/5671
Old April 10, 2011, 07:59 AM   #34
TX Hunter

Thanks for the link Finlog.
I will have to get some of that, I did order a Bandiler from SOG.
Old April 12, 2011, 07:26 PM   #35
TX Hunter

Well the Ammo I ordered from SOG arrived today, they are quick, its Military Surplus Nato Ammo, in a neat bandileer, on 5 Round Stripper Clips.
Kind of strange being on strippers, but that should work well with the rifle.
Still Waiting for the Rifle, takes forever.
Old April 13, 2011, 11:55 AM   #36
Gator Weiss

The Spanish Mauser is a good weapon.

Excellent rifles. I bought one in 1986. I have been shooting it and shooting it, with factory loads and with reloading projects of every shape and size.

There is nothing wrong with these rifles. They are not well known for problems as one poster asserts. No more than the next rifle. What you cant do is abuse the situation. You shouldnt be firing hot loads in these rifles, because they were not designed for it.

They are not .308 Winchester. They are not 7.62x51 rifles. They are actually .308 Cetme, which is a Spanish military round that happens to have pretty much the same case configuration as the 7.62 Nato cartridge.

.308 Cetme is loaded to somewhat lesser pressures than the Nato cartridge. If you keep your loading pressures in the vicinity of the 30-40 Krag cartridge, this rifle will last you a life time.

You can fire .308 Winchester factory loads in these rifles. But understand, higher pressures will mean that the headspace will eventually be affected, because the bolts are somewhat soft, and the rifle is designed for a slightly lower pressure.

My rifle served as a my truck gun for decades. With iron sights, I had reasonably good accuracy out to two hundred yards or so, and I knocked many a coyote on his ass with single shots at moderate distances.

These rifles are MAUSERS ! But these rifles are not K98 mausers! They will not stand the pressures that the K98 will stand. Nor does it have the safety features the K98 will have. A catridge case failure in the Spanish Mauser will send the gases right back into your face, because there is no "flange" effect on this action, like there is on the K98. So use only good cases, and keep those pressures reasonable, and your rifle will last you a lifetime like mine does.

My rifle cost me $59.00. It came in military configuration in a plain cardboard rifle box. It had a plain military spruce wood (soft wood) stock. I scrubbed that gun clean and I fired it. The first shot was right in the ring at 150 yards off of a steady bench. The iron sights are pretty good on mine. I really like and trust this rifle. The best 59 bucks I ever spent.

Remeber that the Spanish Military used these rifles for years and years. Then the police departments in Spain used them for years and years. Then their "guard" troops used them for years and years. The rifle performed well, was treated well by the Spanish, and it proved itself to be handy and durable.

I will never trade this rifle. I have had it too long, and it has served me very well. I have hunted with it when other rifles were down. I have shot well over 15 thousand rounds in my rifle, and it is as good as the day I bought it.

Treat it right and it will treat you right.
Old April 14, 2011, 08:18 PM   #37
TX Hunter

Well I called and checked on my order,

I was told that the Rifles were on backorder, I asked if that meant that they were still overseas, I was told, that no they were here, but being assembled??
and that it could take up to three weeks, I surfed the net and found instances of people waiting for months to get one of these rifles.
So I wont hold my breath.
Old April 14, 2011, 09:09 PM   #38
gyvel

Quote:
Well I called and checked on my order.

I was told that the Rifles were on backorder, I asked if that meant that they were still overseas, I was told, that no they were here, but being assembled??
and that it could take up to three weeks, I surfed the net and found instances of people waiting for months to get one of these rifles.
So I wont hold my breath.
Personally, I would ask for a refund and get something with a little better quality and reputation.
Old April 14, 2011, 09:55 PM   #39
Snakedriver

Quote:
TxHunter: Well I called and checked on my order. I was told that the Rifles were on backorder, I asked if that meant that they were still overseas, I was told, that no they were here, but being assembled?? ..........and that it could take up to three weeks, I surfed the net and found instances of people waiting for months to get one of these rifles. So I wont hold my breath.
Remember what I told you back at the beginning of this thread?

Quote:
"My experience with Samco is that they generally have a really nice product, but they will be the slowest supplier you'll ever have the frustration of dealing with. Be patient and you'll be pleased with the rifle you get."
Nothing you can say or do will speed Samco up either. I even had a friend of mine in Miami go by and speak to the manager at Samco about my order, but they are experts with the excuses and will deliver your rifle to you when they are good & ready and not a moment before that.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:26 PM   #40
TX Hunter

Snake Driver

Yes I remember, Im not out much money, so I will just wait, and see how long it takes. In a way it will be nice to alwayse have something to look forward to.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:51 PM   #41
Dr. Strangelove

Out of curiosity,

25 years ago I bought a Spanish Mauser (1943, Oviedo, 7x57) and promptly salvaged the action and discarded the rest. (Yes, I'm evil, I know)

I had it turned into a .270win hunting rifle, it shoots exceedingly well, I shoot only handloads in the medium-high range, I care more for accuracy than speed.

It's never shown any problems, should I worry? I'm not being a smarty pants, just looking for info...
Old June 30, 2011, 11:37 AM   #42
TX Hunter

Well It finally arrived

Its been a long wait but finally got here, its beat up pretty bad on the outside but has a bright bore with really good rifeling. It seems to be void of any markings, i cant even find the importers mark or the calliber mark. It does have a faint 43 on it and a serial number. All and all i like it. I plan to load some light cartridges for it and have some 7.62X51 Nato for it as well. I will post some pictures when i get a chance. Thanks for reading my post.
Old June 30, 2011, 01:21 PM   #43
Clifford L. Hughes

TX Hunter:

I have a small ring Mexican mauser, at least that is what the gunsmith told me it is, re-barreled to .243 Winchester. I'm not sure if the Mexican and the Spanish are the same actions. However, I can attest to the Mexican's strength. When I was young I thought that I was smarter then the writers of the reloading manuals. I committed the following boner. I pulled the bullets from LC 7.62 match ammo and I weighed the powder. I formed the brass into .243 Winchester. I failed to ream the newly formed cases. With the powder charge that I interpolated I filled the cases and I seated 100 grain Sierra bullets. I was shooting under a direct 110 degree sun off the hood of my car. The fired cases of the first three or four rounda looked normal. On the fifth round I had to force the bolt closed. When I touhed off the round I got a face full of powder gas. The over charge blew the rifle's stock into three pieces. One piece cut my middle finger next to the knuckle to the bone. However, there's only skin here and I didn't need medcal attention. The blown case melted the brass and welded the bolt to the reciver. The late P.O. Ackley replaced the bolt and I was back in business.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; June 30, 2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: reword
Old June 30, 2011, 05:48 PM   #44
adrians

here are my two spaniards ,,,,,mod 1916,,,,,, mod43 (some say 44?) but it has the front sight protectors (ears ,) which designates it as "airforce issue".
i have fired factory ammo out of my 1916 but only win 7.62 white box stuff , i handload only nowadays.
WHITE LABS did the pressure tests as shown in above post, but as i cast and handload i feel better about shooting the 1916,,.
mod 43 is reg 8x57 cal (8mm) i installed the lyman 57sme reciever peep sight and both rifles shoot great ,no complaints here.
have fun with yours and shoot safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spain 003.jpg (218.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg spain 006.jpg (179.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg spain 004.jpg (184.4 KB, 42 views)
Old July 1, 2011, 03:31 PM   #45
TX Hunter

I have a question

Is there any way to uncock this rifle without dry firing it? And also would dry firing it damage it?
Old July 1, 2011, 03:45 PM   #46
Wildalaska

I would never own one or shoot one but that just me.

And I keep my handloads on Swedish Mausers to military velocities, ie 2575. At that velocity, I am in the Qickload Yellow, and well below book max.

Wildbettersurplus308soutthereAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old July 1, 2011, 05:23 PM   #47
LarryNTX

Quote:
Is there any way to uncock this rifle without dry firing it? And also would dry firing it damage it?
Yes, just lift the bolt handle and the bolt will spring backward about an inch un-cocking itself. Then hold the trigger down and slide the bolt forward and close it.
Dry firing wont hurt it.
Old July 1, 2011, 08:20 PM   #48
adrians

Wildalaska

I would never own one or shoot one but that just me .

why not?
Old July 2, 2011, 01:55 PM   #49
TX Hunter

LARRY

Thanks i will do this, I like to keep my rifles uncocked when not in use to keep the tension off the springs. I will take some picures next weekend when im off work. I really like the looks of this little Mauser.
Old July 2, 2011, 03:51 PM   #50
claymore1500

Quote:
Wildalaska

I would never own one or shoot one but that just me .

why not?
I have to agree with the "Why not?" part of this post.

I mean, If you dislike Mauser rifles, Or you don't care for the .308/7.62 nato round, Ok then, I'll buy it.

If you are concerned about the potential of a "KABOOM" then I must respectfully ask, do we not face that possibility virtually every time we chamber a round in any gun we shoot, I would say yes, granted the odds are stronger with some, but they are there in all.

There are modern guns that have a reasonably shakey reputation for holding together, I won't mention names but the first on that comes to mind starts with "G", Do you hold them in the same regard?

I bought an M-1916 spanish mauser years ago when they could be had for $90.00, Since I have owned it, there have been MANY .308win. rounds fired thru it, I have checked it many times and have read all of the "Horror stories" and much of the conclusions posted concerning the actual differences between .308win. and 7.62nato. And while I have personally chosen to take the route of prudents, and hold off shooting it with hot loads, until I have the equipment to load my own, I still like the gun, and it is by far the most accurate milsurp I own.