The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 5, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1
stu925

Yugoslav M57

The local Gander Mountain is advertising Yugoslav M57 pistols for sale for $199, a quick check of gun broker seems to indicate it's a pretty good deal. Comes with a flap holster and 2 magazines. Have a friend that looked at one today said they looked like they were in great shape although couldn't tell me if the numbers all matched. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm wondering about reliability with the 7.62 cartridge. Seems like a pretty neat pistol, and at that price can I really afford to pass on it? Any thoughts on this? Also if anyone could tell me when production on these ended it would be appreciated.

Stu

Last edited by stu925; March 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Brain fart, wrong model #
Old March 5, 2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The local Gander Mountain is advertising Yugoslav M37 pistols
M37? You sure it's not a M57?
Yugoslavian version of the Russian TT-33 Tokarev. the Yugo model has a 9 round magazine rather than the 8 round of the TT-33. that also gives it a slightly longer grip frame.
The 7.62X25 round is a light weight, high velocity round, with a bottle neck case.
85 or 95 gr. bullet @ somewhere between 1200 and 1600 fps depending on the manufacturer. Very limited availability of HP ammo for self defense, and high probability of over penetration with the fmj, so I wouldn't consider it a good SD choice.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x25mm_Tokarev
Surplus ammo is very cheap, sometimes you can find a 1240 rnd case for about $120,
Great gun, fun to shoot. I have a Yugo M57, Romanian TT-33, and Polish TT-33, and enjoy them all.
Sounds like a decent deal at Gander. Go for it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 5, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
stu925

Doh! Typo, you're 100% right M57. Don't know why I didn't catch it in earlier. Appreciate the info, seriously considering it.
Old March 16, 2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Icopy1

$199 is what I paid for the same set up with matching numbers from SOG last year. The only downside is that mags are hard to find right now. The M57 holds one more round compared to the other Toks. So the mags are not interchangeable. Some people have had success modifying the CZ52 mags to work. I have not tried it. Two mags for a range gun is ok with me.

As for the M57, it's a blast to shoot. The triggers are heavy which can affect accuracy, but my weapon has proven extremely reliable. You just have to clean it properly after firing corrosive ammo.

If the numbers all match, I would suggest buying it.
Old March 18, 2011, 06:41 PM   #5
dmg4

I bought one at the local Gander Mountain store in Henrietta NY a week ago. A friend also bought one. Both are nearly new; only the slightest holster wear of the bluing on the sharpest edges of the muzzle. Holster is nearly new. Comes with 2 magazines. I also picked up 2,500 rounds of ammo from J&G sales to feed it and a PPSh41. The M57 was loaded with cosmoline. Complete disassembly is necessary, but also very easy with this pistol. There's a lot of chatter on other forums about these guns; nearly all positive.

The J&G ammo is as dirty as all hell, but it goes bang and is accurate in both weapons. I think it contains coal or peat.

Do I like it? Well, I just ordered a second one. For $199 it's a steal. The ammo is dirt cheap.
Old March 18, 2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I also picked up 2,500 rounds of ammo from J&G sales
Have you had any problems with split necks. I think all they have left for the really cheap price is the Polish which has been getting a lot of reports of numerous case necks being slit causing loose bullets.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 18, 2011, 10:58 PM   #7
dmg4

I shot 100 rounds out of the M57 with not a single problem. It is Polish from the 1950s. I also shot 2 mags (72 rounds) in the PPSh41. God knows where the brass goes once it leave the chamber of that thing. I think it achieves escape velocity and goes into low earth orbit.

As I said, the J&G stuff it is about the dirtiest ammo imaginable, but it groups well and I have not yet experienced any problems. For $80 for 1200 rounds, I don't expect much. I have been very satisfied so far.

Wideners has nice M57s on their website for $199 if your local Gander Mountain is out of stock.
Old March 19, 2011, 02:34 PM   #8
superpelly

Yep, I have three, 2 from Gander Mountain, and 1 from SOG. Its nice to have 5 mags between the 3 of them. I get my Ammo from http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8821 , but they are sold out, I bought 40 box's !!!!

199.00 x2 from Gander Mountain with 2 mags each gun, Holster and cleaning rod,
185.00 SOG with 1 mag

Last edited by superpelly; March 20, 2011 at 08:57 AM.