The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 10, 2009, 12:41 PM   #26
Dustin0

8mm Mauser
Old November 10, 2009, 04:32 PM   #27
p99guy

As an owner of several mosins and Enfields....Alot of mosin actions are just too sticky and slow/tempremental/ slow to reload with the low quality stripper clips that seem in such supply(compared to the better ones)
For me to consider them ideal (didnt say it couldnt be done) to rapidly bust caps on something 35feet and closing fast( and thinking i'm going to taste just like chicken) I would much rather be doing it with a Lee Enfield if I had to do it. Butter smooth and rapid, twice the onboard ammo supply. Nothing like having five rounds when the job took seven......
Old November 10, 2009, 04:37 PM   #28
38superhero

M-44
Old November 10, 2009, 06:11 PM   #29
5whiskey

Quote:
As an owner of several mosins and Enfields....Alot of mosin actions are just too sticky and slow/tempremental/ slow to reload with the low quality stripper clips that seem in such supply(compared to the better ones)
For me to consider them ideal (didnt say it couldnt be done) to rapidly bust caps on something 35feet and closing fast( and thinking i'm going to taste just like chicken) I would much rather be doing it with a Lee Enfield if I had to do it. Butter smooth and rapid, twice the onboard ammo supply. Nothing like having five rounds when the job took seven......
What he said... though I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a good mauser that has a slick action. Kinda like my Yugo 24/47 (You'd be amazed at how fast you can work the bolt... not as good as a enfield, but pretty darn good none-the-less)
Old November 10, 2009, 06:22 PM   #30
SigP6Carry

The Mosin action isn't bad to work when you've got it cleaned up and worked out. The reloading isn't great, though, kind of slow. The Mauser and Enfeild actions work like butter, generally, but nothing's going to be faster than a K31 or K11. Straight pull bolts are gonna work a lot faster than most bolts.
Old November 10, 2009, 11:46 PM   #31
DWARREN123

Any will probably work but the ammo must be the proper type.
Old November 10, 2009, 11:51 PM   #32
Webleymkv

Really, when loaded with proper bullets any of the full-power cartridges that milsurp bolt guns typically come in would be sufficient (though admittedly 6.5 Swede, Arisaka, or Carcano may be a tad light for Grizz). Personally, I'd probably go for a K31 or Lee-Enfield due to the faster cycling bolts.
Old November 11, 2009, 08:13 AM   #33
madcratebuilder

.303 Enfield, I can't think of a faster bolt gun.
Old November 11, 2009, 12:14 PM   #34
SigP6Carry

Mad Crate Builder, I can: Swiss K31
Old November 11, 2009, 04:18 PM   #35
gyvel

Quote:
So yeah ... shooting a domestic cow is no big deal - you shot a cow, not wild game.
I never said I shot anything in Thailand; I was stationed there during the Vietnam War and the water buffalo were everywhere, including roaming town streets.

Apparently you are telling me that you shot some vicious, wild variety of water buffalo. I know Cape buffalo are very dangerous game, but yours didn't look like a Cape buffalo to me, hence my statement.

Having said that, .303 is one of my favorite calibres, and the Lee-Enfield rifle is one of my most beloved shooters.
Old November 11, 2009, 04:52 PM   #36
Tikirocker

Quote:
Apparently you are telling me that you shot some vicious, wild variety of water buffalo. I know Cape buffalo are very dangerous game, but yours didn't look like a Cape buffalo to me, hence my statement.

Mate ... I've hunted Cape Buff in Africa and I have also had experience hunting wild Asiatic Buff in the Northern Territory. Ask any game hunter who knows buffalo ( I'm one ) and they will tell you Cape buff and Wild Asiatic Buff in Australia are equally dangerous. To be making the statements you are making, I get the impression you don't really know much about the subject matter, but by all means feel free to come to the NT and head bush to shoot Buff with that attitude - it's a fast way to end up dead.

My point? The .303, hand loaded for hunting will stop pretty much anything THAT big, THAT was the point of the picture. Since that point is lost on you and you think it was about what looks more dangerous to you, maybe I'll go back and photo shop some fangs on the Buffalo to press the point home.

Tiki.
Old November 12, 2009, 09:23 AM   #37
jsmaye

You said you shot a water buffalo and showed us a picture of a dead water buffalo. So we thought it was a water buffalo. Then you tell us it's a Wild Asiatic Australian Water Buffalo, the ferocity of which is unmatched by any but the Cape Buffalo. Sorry, we thought it was a water buffalo. Like you originally said.
Old November 12, 2009, 12:24 PM   #38
Tikirocker

Asiatic Buffalo ARE a Water Buff, just a specific type of Water buff found in the North of OZ; the distinction must be made between wild and domestic of course and there are different types of Asiatic Water Buff also. Rather than keep pace with this three ringed circus, suggest you go do some research on Buff hunting in the North of Australia and learn about the dangers, if you doubt there are any.

I made no statements in my initial post about the hunt being INCREDIBLY dangerous and vicious or any other nonsense. Until somebody likened hunting a wild buff to shooting a domestic cow in Vietnam, my only point was the .303 will take down big game reliably, it still is ...

I'll leave it here thanks ... sheesh.

Last edited by Tikirocker; November 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old November 12, 2009, 12:31 PM   #39
ISC

I'd take my FR8 anywhere to hunt anything in North America.
Old November 12, 2009, 06:37 PM   #40
gyvel

Quote:
Ask any game hunter who knows buffalo ( I'm one ) and they will tell you Cape buff and Wild Asiatic Buff in Australia are equally dangerous. To be making the statements you are making, I get the impression you don't really know much about the subject matter
You are 100% correct about that. I was going by the appearance of the animal and my own experiences with (apparently) another, more docile species of water buffalo. Sorry to offend.
Old November 12, 2009, 11:22 PM   #41
James K
Member In Memoriam

A cheap, Bubba'd Mauser. That way you won't be worried about the collector value when you have to throw the damned thing at the bear and run like hell.

Jim
Old November 12, 2009, 11:41 PM   #42
benogil

In the real world, of people who do this, or go into the environment ( daily) with the need to do this I know of only two. They both post to to other forums.
One carry's a M44 with Woodleigh 215 grains, the other is in the environment more often ( daily ), he carries a Finn M39 with Czech silvertip. Both avoid any contact when possible.
Old November 13, 2009, 01:24 AM   #43
geologist

I work in remote exploration camps in grizzly and polar bear habitat. When I was young and penniless, I kept my LE. No. 5 in my tent. Now that I can afford it, I keep a 20" BRNO 602 .375 H&H in my tent. It's not a surplus rifle but it is a true Mauser action.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:34 PM   #44
Wulfmann

Expeditions to the North Pole require participants to train with and carry the 8MM K98k surplus German Mauser, as shown on a National Geographic special.

3006 and 7.62X54R are 30 calibers, the 8MM is a 32 caliber and fires a heavier bullet. The 198gr is standard but for moderate ranges the 220 gr is very effective.
It also functions under the worst conditions.
All mentioned are good rifles but the reliability and durability of a K98K is unmatched
That said the competency of the shooter is the most important factor in successfully defeating a great bear.
A 338 Win Mag would be nice and a 338 Lapua would really be nice

What ever you use practice working that bolt becoming proficient with quick firing.

Wulfmann
Old November 14, 2009, 09:12 PM   #45
cookhj

7.62x54R M-N
8mm K98 Mauser
7.5 K31
.30-06 1903
.303 Enfield

any of those will serve you well with the right ammo.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:44 PM   #46
essohbe

I vote for the M44 also, only you have to stab the bear to death with the bayonet.
Old November 14, 2009, 11:46 PM   #47
mavracer

any of the major bolt guns would work well and just to prove it I'm bringing my 1896 Krag carbine. Hey I may not have the most power but I got one of the smoothest and slickest actions and since it's designed for 220 gr roundnoses adequate penatration shouldn't be a problem.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 15, 2009, 01:59 AM   #48
Ignition Override

Guys, Tiki knows his Lee-Enfields very well. Have read his observations on other gun websites.

I'm still a novice, but like mine (a #4, two #5s) so much that it would be fun to somehow be paid to shoot them every day of the week, and a recoil pad is not needed for the #5 on my skinny shoulders. Am learning to reload, just for the LEs, in order to face the total lack of surplus ammo in the future.

Voluntary tester of you surplus ammo. Free of charge and will pay shipping roundtrip.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 16, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old November 23, 2009, 10:00 PM   #49
kilimanjaro

SMLE No. 1 Mk. III, good handling, 10 rounds, hunting ammunition.

Having said that, I'd prefer a .405 or .450 Nitro Express for big and truculent carnivores.

I'd prefer to avoid a situation if I can.
Old November 28, 2009, 12:22 AM   #50
smleno1mkIII

read my screen name