The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 10, 2010, 07:57 AM   #101
cheepertokeeper

Help again, Egyptian FN 49

Question about the left handed Egyptian again. I broke rifle down for stock repair, inspection. The reciever cover locking key would not budge. It took a mallet and elbow grease to turn. Upon removal I noticed the guide rod? under reciever cover was bent. The locking key retainer "washer" was peaned up against rear of cover making it very very difficult to rotate. It appears bolt slammed up against it so hard on that last shot that it mashed rear inside of cover. I carefully filed mashed retainer down, so I can now turn it. Is there any prescribed rear travel distance for bolt on firing? Is it the proper function to slam against reciever cover? Would anyone recommend a small "buffer" of sorts over the guide rod, snugged up against back of cover? Also is there supposed to be any recoil lug inletted in the stock? As is I can see this stock taking a real pounding after any prolonged use. And I wanna use it.
Thanks CTK
Old April 11, 2010, 04:52 PM   #102
Webleymkv

Sounds to me like perhaps your recoil springs are weak. I'd replace the recoil springs and guide rod. Also make sure that your gas system is properly regulated for whatever type of ammo you're shooting. It is possible that one of the previous owners shot hotter ammo than what the rifle was set up for. The gun will function with heavily loaded ammo if the gas system is set up for light ammo, but you run a higher risk of peening the reciever (not to mention it will kick like a mule). When adjusting the gas system, you want to allow just enough gas to get to the piston to reliably cylce the action but no more.
Old April 23, 2010, 11:20 AM   #103
Garrt

49 Argt. Mags

I am looking for two spare mags 308 Argt. FN-49 can anyone help me out,Garrt
Old May 8, 2010, 09:22 AM   #104
44lover

Eqyptian SAFN-49

I have an Egyptian contract in 8mm. What a honey of a rifle! I got mine from SOG. It was in the collector's corner, I paid way too much for the condition it's in, I'd say it is NRA Good. Don't know about Argentine mags. I do want to get a Luxemborg 30-06, and an Argentine .308. But they are real hard to budget for.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:59 PM   #105
ron48

fn49 8mm mags/scope mount?

Hello, new here.
Was hoping that I could pick your more knowledgable brains for a sec.
I have an fn49 in 8mm and I was wanting to find a couple more mags and possibly a scope mount for it. Both seem to be a no go at this point. But was hoping that someone could give me some info on where I might find them.
Thanks, Ron
Old May 27, 2010, 03:44 AM   #106
Braintrain

I have a chance to get one of these in 8mm for $400. The bore is pitted but the guy has a brand new barrel that goes with it , he just doesn't know how to put it on(neither do I). Is this a good deal??
Old May 29, 2010, 08:39 PM   #107
claymore1500

Quote:
Hello, new here.
Was hoping that I could pick your more knowledgable brains for a sec.
I have an fn49 in 8mm and I was wanting to find a couple more mags and possibly a scope mount for it. Both seem to be a no go at this point. But was hoping that someone could give me some info on where I might find them.
Thanks, Ron
S&k makes a scope mount for the gun $$$, Also I saw one in the "Cheaper than dirt" catalog (made by someone else, but I am not sure who). I am curious, as the egyptian 8mm mags cannot be loaded and stored, why are you looking for spares? I mean, It's your right to buy what ever you want, I'm just curious.

Last edited by claymore1500; May 29, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old August 16, 2010, 02:52 PM   #108
JustaNewb

FN-49 AL Questions

Hello everyone. You guys seem to know your stuff, and I am a complete NEwb. (going hunting first time this year)

I have picked up a FN-49 from a friend. I got it to deer hunt...and just think its plain cool. It has AL stamped on it which is for Luxemburg...correct? Made in the 50's?
Well..it also has this flaming bomb symbol on it in front of the the number "1"....(pic)its serial number is in the 2000 range.

It has the letter "A" stamped near the far sight(pic), like where a bipod would attach.

I downloaded the owners manual (thank you for the link) but I want to make sure I know about it before I use the wrong ammo or something. I have a 30.06 correct?

It has a s&k scope mount on it.
Any other info you could give me would be very appreciated. I have learned a ton from you guys already. thanks.

Ok...I have no idea how to post pics on here. Its asking for a URL.

Last edited by JustaNewb; August 16, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old October 19, 2010, 10:35 PM   #109
cpobr

Info Q

What is the muzzle thread diameter & pitch for a Argentine fN49 .308 conversion barrel ? I'd like to replace the beat muzzle cap.
Old October 20, 2010, 12:36 PM   #110
SfcMac

buying an FN

Just recently I put aside once and for all any hope of one day owning the Garand.As supplies dry up, this rifle is getting more and more expensive. Therefore I made this decision I will buy or trade for either the Egyptian FN or the MAS 49. I am even considering the Soviet Tokarev SVT 40. Push comes to shove I may settle for the Soviet SKS. Right now the only American rifle I own is the M1917, and she is mixed, so the very best I could do with her is $650. Really not sure how I feel about trading her right now. Anyway not to highjack the thread; I hear good things about the FN I hear she is reliable and fun to fire. Normally when I go hunting I take one of my Milsurps, but a good semi would give me a distinct edge. Particularly if I went after one of the Predators like the bear C&R Buds website puts her between $600, and $900.
Old November 26, 2010, 09:26 AM   #111
gunny33

7x57 ammo for a Venezuelen FN49

HI,
Purchased my first FN49, have lots of questions but lets start with some about 7x57 ammo and reloading, its a new caliber for me. I have some ammo with a headstamp of "FN 70". Box is marked 7mm Mauser and it apperrs to have been manufactured by FN Herstal in Belgium. Is this correct ammo for the Venezuelen FN49? Is it corrosive? Fianlly, has anyone ever reloaded this round for the FN? Please contact me @ [email protected]

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bill
Western Mass.
Old November 26, 2010, 08:30 PM   #112
hotbiggun42

Luxenberg FN49

Hi I just recieved a FN49 in a trade. I really don't know much about them the previouse owner said it was a Luxenberg FN 49 in 30-06. But i see nothing on the rifle itself to indicate what caliber it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated serial number is 11xx,
Thanks
hotbiggun
Old November 28, 2010, 04:04 PM   #113
Webleymkv

All "AL" marked FN-49's are chambered for 30-06 unless a previous owner had some sort of conversion done (highly unlikely as 30-06 models are among the most desirable). The only FN-49's that were ever rechambered in any significant number were the Argentine Navy models that were rechambered from 7.65x53 Mauser to 7.62x51 NATO.
Old November 30, 2010, 12:59 AM   #114
hotbiggun42

thanks

thanks for the reply . I took the FN 49 out today for a test fire. it shot single shot only. The gas port was turned to R I am thinking i need to read up on these rifles a bit more.

In an earlier post you metioned that you have seen low serial numbers in the 1900 range mine is in the 1100's is this significant?
Old December 4, 2010, 11:09 PM   #115
Clyde

FN-49 Stock question

Greetings all!
I am the proud new owner of an Egyptian FN-49. This one is going to take a little restoration work to bring out its true beauty, starting with the stock. The stock on this one has numerous repairs, been painted and is missing the arsenal disk. So I am thinking of replacing the stock altogether. Does anyone know if I can use a stock that came from a 7mm FN-49? I understand there has been some trouble in the past when ordering from gunstocks.com. Has anyone ordered a replacement from them since then? If so how did that work out?
Old December 6, 2010, 11:15 PM   #116
Webleymkv

Quote:
thanks for the reply . I took the FN 49 out today for a test fire. it shot single shot only. The gas port was turned to R I am thinking i need to read up on these rifles a bit more.
Your gas plug is set to fire rifle grenades. Turning it around will allow you to shoot semi-auto. Also, FN-49's have an adjustable gas system. To adjust the gas system, remove the top handguard and you will see a sleeve around the gas tube. turning the sleeve will move it either forward or backward either covering or exposing a gas vent.

To adjust the gas system, turn the sleeve back until the gas vent is fully exposed. Next, load two rounds of the ammo you intend to shoot. Fire one shot and see if the rifle fully cycles. If it does not, turn the adjustment sleeve one click and load two more rounds. Repeat this procedure until your rifle will reliably cycle with your chosen ammo and then replace the top handguard.
Old January 1, 2011, 06:16 PM   #117
ARcountryboy

new to this

I recently aquiered a fn 49 it is an 8x57 and i have been told to watch out for yugo bulk military rounds. So, why is that and could someone post a pic of what the base of the shell look like? Any info on this would be great. Thanks.
Old November 18, 2011, 09:31 PM   #118
MILSURPMAN56

Fn-49 firing pin safety upgrade

The attached file describes how I modified my FN-49 firing pin to make it more resistant to slam-fire. I hope you find it entertaining and beneficial.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FN-49 FIRING PIN SAFETY MODIFICATION 10-7-11.pdf (520.5 KB, 178 views)
Old November 21, 2011, 11:53 PM   #119
doofus47

If any of you kids are in the Co front range area, there is an 8mm FN-49 on the consignment rack at Gunsport in Boulder. It has an Egyptian crest. I don't remember the price since I'm out of the 8mm business. Looked pretty nice.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:50 PM   #120
Ignition Override

If ARcountryboy or anybody else still wants to know what my bulk Yugo 8mm rds. looks like (or some of them), the letters are written in Cyrillic.

One of the symbols looks like an upside down square U. Imagine the shape of a doorway with a normal opening at the bottom. These two 'doorways' are followed by a 'Y'.
On some of my Yugo ammo the date '1982' is at the bottom of the case head.

For those of you who will acquire surplus Czechoslovakian ammo, you probably know that their alphabet is not Cyrillic, but Roman like ours.
If it helps, I can give info on my Czech ammo.
Old September 5, 2012, 04:02 PM   #121
Siani

SAFN query

Hi folks, I am new to the forums.

Some years ago I purchased an FN 49, at the time I thought it was a Hakim. I do not think it is original, at least in the stock.

The receiver has a crown stamped on it, with apparently arabic letters in parentheses below it. To the right of this is a star over an L below which is a verticle line and what looks like a 'V'.

On the other side is a line of characters looking like a backward 7, an A without the cross bar, a warped I, and another backward 7.

Below those are numbers; 2813 and just below and to the right of those are 'Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre - Herstal - Belgique'

The rear sight leaf has numerals in what appears to be arabic.

The gas plug also has what appears to be arabic characters.

The stock appears to be some white wood, like beech, which has been stained walnut. The but is plastic, without the trapdoor. There is no armorer's coin.

I was told it is chambered for 8,mm Mauser and the ammo recommended was Serbian.

I finally have it all cleaned up and ready to rock. Question is, what is this? An actual Egyptian rifle or something cobbled together?

Siani
Old September 5, 2012, 04:22 PM   #122
mehavey

Picture(s) ?
(one of entire rifle, and one each of receiver top/sides)
Old September 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #123
Siani

I'll get some taken and up riki tik. Later tonight like as not. Should have thought of that.

Siani
And our hunts yield game through all the year."
Old September 5, 2012, 05:45 PM   #124
Siani

Photos:

Hope this works.

Oh yes, I paid 250.00 for this one. I have the (supposedly) original cleaning kit..a tube with a bore brush on a long cord is in it. I have the gas adjustment tool..at the moment the gas tube is wide open as I haven't yet had a chance to set the action on it. I was offered a bayonet not long ago. I think it is a very attractive rifle. The lands are quite prominent, there is no pitting or exceptional wear in the barrel that I can see.

Siani
And our hunts yield game through all the year."

Last edited by Siani; September 5, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:26 PM   #125
mehavey

Same Egyptian as mine: (and standard 8mm x 57 Mauser)

The last of the elegant old world battle rifles.

Watch out for the wrist of the stock cracking on you because of how they evidently just soaked these things in bore cleaner/gun oil and cosmoline. I finally just completely rebuilt that section of stock and bedded the receiver to even out the strain. No big deal.

(The circles are interlocking hardwood dowels all the way through top-to-bottom, and the longer blond strip(s) covers steel rods/both sides inlaid w/ epoxy/shredded glass.)

In won't fail there again.