The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
dlb435

Starting to reload....again

I had to sell of most of my guns and reloading gear a few years ago. Seams that my kids developed some cash flow problems and, being a good parent, I helped out. Now that is behind us, I'm building up the stock of guns and reloading gear again.
After a couple of bad starts, I've got a press I can work with. I have a Dillon RL 450 with the auto primer and auto powder drop. I'm still getting all the dies and shell plates together, so I'm not reloading any ammo yet. I've got the data books, powder scale and most of what I need.
It sure takes a lot of time to get all this stuff together.
I've been comparing load data (mostly 9mm Luger) and find the loads are all over the place. Depending on who published and when, the max load seams to change a lot.
My standard 9mm load has been 115 gn round nose with 4.6 gn of WIN 231. This has been a good load but I would like to work up some others. Why the variance in load data?
Old January 26, 2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Army GI

Wow, I'm almost in the same boat as you are.

I, too, am rebuilding my gun collection and reloading equipment. I used to have 4 rifles and 5 pistols and had to sell it all to pay for college last semester. Now that that is taken care of, I can start rebuilding. I sure wish my parents were as nice as you. Will you adopt me?

I, too, chose to go with a Dillon product. However I went with the Dillon 550B as the 450 isn't available anymore.

As far as loads are concerned, many people recommend buying at LEAST two reloading books but preferably more to cross-check the data. The reason for this is that with all the different reloading component companies out there, it is downright impossible to publish a load for every conceivable configuration. There are variances in the test guns/barrels, primers, brass, bullets, and powder. You have literally millions of different combinations available. This is especially important if you like to use "max" loads in which case you need to follow the loading data very carefully. Use the a different primer (which may be hotter) than one suggested in the book and you will blow something up.

What is the general consensus is that you start with the published "starting load" and work your way up .2 or .5 gr at a time until you find something you like.

Personally? I don't use anything but starting loads. Powder is too expensive to be loading everything to the gills and get only 150 good reloads out of a pound of powder. If you're interested in reducing the cost of shooting, you might want to consider hard cast bullets for 9mm. There are MANY hard cast bullet makers and most will sell for $60 per thousand. That's 6ยข per bullet.
Old January 26, 2009, 05:46 PM   #3
dlb435

I like the jacked bullets because they reduce lead fouling. I reload not just to save money but because I found that I could make better rounds than I could buy. I had worked up a load for my Uzi but the HS7 powder that I used is no longer available. This load was super hot (1500fps) and COULD NOT be used in a hand gun. I'm starting all over again.