The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2001, 09:49 AM   #1
Sisco

BIG deer!

Don't have a link for this, took it from my local paper:

Jackson, Ky. (AP) - Randolph Scott Stidham was so proud of shooting an enormous deer he drove it around town in the back of his pickup to show it off to friends.
They broke the news: He had actually bagged one of 1,300 protected elk that wildlife officials have been trying to restore to the state's Appalachian mountains.
Now Stidham, 38, faces more than $8,000 in fines and up to a year in jail.
"Anyone who mistakenly shoots an elk is an idiot", said Roy Grimes, deputy state fish and wildlife commissioner. "If a person cannot tell the differnece between an elk and a deer, they should get rid of thier firearms".
Old December 2, 2001, 12:21 PM   #2
yorec

Quote:
said Roy Grimes, deputy state fish and wildlife commissioner. "If a person cannot tell the differnece between an elk and a deer, they should get rid of thier firearms".
Every year someone shoots an elk or moose, mistaking it for something else. Once in a great while someone's horse will get shot for the same reason. Really torques them off when they're still astride it. I don't quite agree with MR. Grimes, but when this happens in WYO they lose thier hunting priveleges for several years and pay thousands of dollars in fines.

$8,000 is cheap when it comes to poaching in WYO - our fines are generally around this class for poaching a regular ol muley - Something protected? Get out the mortgage on your home and prepare for a couple months of jail time.

This should probably be sufficient punishment - let them keep thier firearms and spend the time learning safe firearms handling and how to identify thier game better, it wasn't a violent felony. Then try again, but be warned - second time offenders get treated even worse....
Old December 4, 2001, 04:16 PM   #3
swampgator

I read an article about poaching fines in WYO IIRC something like $5000 per animal and lifetime license revocation.
This was for a group of poachers that were killing monster Muleys and just taking the heads.
Old December 5, 2001, 12:45 PM   #4
Sisco

Not sure about the fines here in KS, but I understand it's possible you may loose the vehicle you drove and the firearm you used.
Old December 5, 2001, 04:27 PM   #5

That reminds me of the poster you see in gun stores with the caption that reads: No problem lady, it is your elk. Just let me get my saddle off it.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 5, 2001, 05:48 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Had a nitwit here in CO 5-10 years back, with a 4-point (at least) bull elk tag, who shot a horse out from under its rider - a bit before shooting hours.

Wanna count the rules the guy broke (+ not to mention the probable lumps on his (head afterwards)?
Old December 6, 2001, 08:39 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Okay, I'll help this thread degenerate: I guess it was maybe 20 or 25 years back that a "hunter" in (?) Wyoming (?) with a 7mm RemMag shot a kid on a red trail bike. And then shot the kid's brother, also on a red trail bike. He said he thought they were elk.

A hunter in Pennsylvania shot a nice buck. Backpacking out, he realized somebody was shooting at his buck! He shrugged out of the pack, jumped up on a stump, flapped his arms and crowed like a rooster: Promptly got drilled through his legs.

Another Pennsylvania hunter carefully put a bearskin rug over the hood of his car, on a sub-freezing day. He made a long stalk and had a wonderfully successful hunt. Wanna guess just what he shot? Clue: His stalk was a large circle.

Last one: In downstate Maine, two kids were riding the family mule home from plowing. A hunter shot the mule out from under them. He explained (1) He thought it was a moose (no meese in that part of the state in decades). 2. He thought the hames on the collar were the moose's horns.

Art
Old December 9, 2001, 08:10 AM   #8
12-34hom

Geeze thats a wall hanger!!

The word that comes to mind is = Bafoooooon...
Old December 9, 2001, 04:10 PM   #9
Kharn

If you want to talk about stupid, when I moved into Southern Maryland about 5 years ago, some stupid morons were out spot-lighting deer late one night, and they started blasting at what they thought was a giant herd of whitetails. Well, the morons shot a black and white cow in a wide open field, while using a giant spotlight. Since then, I've always wondered about the intelligence of the locals.

Kharn
Old December 9, 2001, 09:14 PM   #10
Sisco

Some thirty years ago during Kansas pheasant season I worked at a gas station (full service no less, anyone remember that?)
Some out of staters came in for fuel and said they pheasant hunting wasn't so great but the quail hunting was good.
Now I had lived there all my life and never saw a quail in those parts so I asked to see them. In the trunk they had a half-dozen or so meadowlarks. Hope they tasted good.

At about the same time there was a story going around (rural legend?) about a fellow in Colorado who went through a Fish & Game checkpoint and it was discovered he had shot a wild burro. He thought it was a mule deer. According to the story they let him go, figuring anyone who couldn't tell the difference deserved to eat the burro.
Old December 9, 2001, 09:56 PM   #11

SK, that story reminds me of a little hunting trip I took with two guys from work. We were hunting quail and chucker. I was on one side of a hill and another guy was on the other. I heard him start shooting like a maniac. I ran over there and asked him what he was shooting at. He said, there are quail all over the place. He was shooting sparrows (he got several of them). Later the same day we were driving through a little town and we commented on all the quail in some guy's backyard. He got out of the car and I didn't give it any thought untill he started getting out his shotgun. I of course stopped him, he didn't see the problem. I asked him if he wouldn't mind if some strangers pulled up and started shooting quail 10 feet from his house. The funny thing is that this guy is not a dope, he is an intelligent guy. He had never been hunting before and didn't know any better.
Old December 10, 2001, 12:22 PM   #12
Poodleshooter

If that dude had just sauntered over here to VA, he could have shot all the KY elk that he wants! Our Fish and Game Dept. has declared the KY tresspassers to be legal under regular deer season regulations. KY officials aren't too happy about that, but then again, VA drivers aren't too happy about the prospect of running into horse-sized deer on the interstate