The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2009, 11:09 PM   #26
Wildalaska

Quote:
I am NOT a fan of the Lee Safety Scale for those, and other, reasons.
Would those other reasons have to do with quality?

WildaseriousquestionAlaska TM
Old January 21, 2009, 11:23 PM   #27
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The Lee Safety Scale was always problematic with me.

A while back, I received an RCBS 5-10-10 scale in a trade, and just this last summer, I picked up an old, but still sealed-in-the-box Ohaus at a yard sale. Currently, I'm using the Ohaus,

So, I'm about out of WSP primers (down to my last 300 or so). But I have about 2K of WSPM primers. Just means I rework my loads in 9mm... Must get those Rem Golden Sabers all loaded up!
Old January 21, 2009, 11:26 PM   #28
Wildalaska

Quote:
A while back, I received an RCBS 5-10-10 scale in a trade, and just this last summer, I picked up an old, but still sealed-in-the-box Ohaus at a yard sale. Currently, I'm using the Ohaus,
Doesnt Ohaus make them all for RCBS...my older 10-10 is marked Ohaus

WildoramijustmeshugasAlaska TM
Old January 22, 2009, 08:30 PM   #29
rn22723

www.gunstop.com has most Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, some non progressive Lee Preses presses instock.
Old January 23, 2009, 01:58 AM   #30
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Doesnt Ohaus make them all for RCBS...my older 10-10 is marked Ohaus
Also for lyman.

There are some slight variations in the construction and weight settings. Like all the triple beams that we used in high school. Several different brandnames and how they operated, but the vast majority were made by Ohaus. Some just seem to work better than others.
Old January 23, 2009, 08:41 AM   #31
Sevens

Lee Safety Scale -- this tool may be one of the most representative examples of Lee reloading products.

It's not the fastest scale out there... in fact, I really can't imagine a slower scale.

It's definitely not the easiest scale to use... it's hard to read and it's easier to use with a weight that is set and compared against rather than putting a charge in the pan and trying to figure out it's weight.

But it's freakishly accurate and for weighing things down to one tenth of a grain as handloaders do, it's as accurate as any other scale that is marketed to handloaders.

And it's definitely the lowest priced scale on the market. Some of the really cheap digitals are close, but they typically aren't $20 like the Lee Safety Scale. And nobody makes a beam scale that's $20.

On a shoestring budget, it's one helluva $20 investment for a new reloader.

If you are reloading and you can't afford almost anything and you think you can't afford a scale, you need to buy one of these.

Not only will it work and be very accurate, it'll show you exactly why you want to spend more on a more expensive scale. But if you don't have the jack to spend, it'll keep your loads honest in the mean time.
Old January 23, 2009, 10:26 AM   #32
markr

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but sometimes it's fun to hit it anyway.

Like others have said, the Lee Scale can be a pain in the butt. HOWEVER, it is a pain in the butt because it is so sensitive and accurate. It will respond to tiny fractions of a grain differences, as in less than 1/10th of a grain difference. Other more expensive scales aren't as accurate, but are more user freindly. If you can't get the scale zeroed properly, then read the directions again. I use the Lee as a Back up to my Hornady. When I get down to put the "Evil Eye" on the needle of the Lee scale to check a weight, I have to hold my breath and not move around, or else the scale won't stabilize.

I have worked through many of the bugaboos people have with Lee equipment, by re-reading the literature, and being patient. All apparent problems turned out to be operator error.

And Gander Mountain: Phooey on them. A gun store clerk admitted to me that management had jacked up all the prices when I asked why the gun I had been looking at suddenly jumped up in price.

The problem with finding reloading equipment, is that few brick and mortar stores have a complete stock. Your stuck with picking through whats available. The good thing is that you can get just about anyting online, but by the time you pay the handlng and shipping fees to get the damn thing, your paying Gander Mountain prices. I guess at least Gander Mountain has stuff.

Here is a recent Gander Mountain/Cabela's comparison. Gander Mountain had a #100 bag of brass I needed for about $60. I got it at Cabela's for about $30, in person.

There is always gun shows.

Stay away from E-bay. Every reloading item I have bid on, went for more than new at the store.

Try Craig's List.

Washed up 11B1P
Old January 23, 2009, 11:00 PM   #33
DAdams

If

you think you are frustrated now finding loading equipment, wait until you go to find components. Primers, certain powders, bullets certain cases.

Be patient, I think this has to be the worst time ever to take up loading. I have waited 6 weeks to get shell plates for an LnL. And they still aren't in. Cabelas BTW.

I refuse to pay Hornady's list prices from their website.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:38 AM   #34
Master Blaster

I dunnoh, I just closed the blast door on the shelter so Good luck

Seriously wait a couple months till the feeding frenzy from Obama mania, and the Christmas rush dies down.

Put in a backorder with Grafs, or midway, or natchez, and when it comes in they will send it too you.

You may have to open your Blast door to get it though
Old January 24, 2009, 10:56 PM   #35
ipscchef

Crazyhorse and whoever posted that they do not like Gander I am with you 100%
Trying to get service at the gun counter is rediculous .Their prices for brass and bullets is over double what I pay through mail order even with shipping.
The only things I buy from them are powder and primers to avoid hazmat charges.
I bought a Lyman dps1200 m3 from Cabelas for 160$ less than they are asking.
By the way, it is a really good unit.
My WalMart just put in a reloading section and the prices are very good. Not very extensive but they do have most of the basics; 4350, Unique, Varget,3031,H110,etc. and most of the more populer Sierra, Speer, Nolser and Hornady bullets. Some primers and RCBS reloading stuff, Dies included.
Old January 24, 2009, 11:54 PM   #36
CrazyHorse89

thanks for all the inputs guys,

I appreciate it, I guess I can buy more magazines and save up more money to get a better progressive press, My garage Bench is looking lonely...

I want to shoot, but darn ammo just get sooo expesive, and I have 5 sons who love shooting with DAD, I just can't buy ammo for everyone..

Anyways...keep this post alive, until someone see Midway or someone who has The Hornady LNL available..

Later,

Paul
Old January 25, 2009, 10:01 AM   #37
Big-O-2

I wanted to point something out about Midway, I called them before Christmas because it would seem they where out of everything. I found this out, they continue to get it stock and it goes out on orders as they get it in. The lady I talked to said that as lond as it stated BackOrder OK they would be getting it back in soon. Or at least they have a supplier still sending them to Midway. If it stated Backorder not OK they lost there supplier and they may or may not find another one. I have to say in Texas the shipping is about 3 business days at the most for ground. Good luck and I have had three orders from Midway come in only small delay due to Backorers.

Hope this helps.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:32 AM   #38
csmsss

NONE of the shops in my area have even one large rifle primer available. Plenty of pistol primers, plenty of shotgun primers, but very few rifle primers, and ZERO large rifle primers. Varget? Nowhere to be found.
Old January 25, 2009, 01:44 PM   #39
EICRtech

CrazyHorse89-

2 Questions for you:
1- are you looking for only a progressive press?
2- are you in Central Texas (Austin area)?

There is a place close to me that has a Redding T7 turret in stock, if that interests you. I've been real happy so far with my T7. Mine is keeping cartridge/bullet runout to .001" or less- This obviously assumes that I have checked and prepped my cases properly. I was originally looking at progressives but decided, as a new reloader, that I needed to pay closer attention to what was being accomplished, one step at a time.
Of course it sounds like you a prepared to punch out ammo in large lots, so a turret might not fly for you.
Old January 25, 2009, 02:43 PM   #40
CrazyHorse89

I'd prefer Progressive, simply becuase the whole family shoots..if it where just me, I still shoot alot...so Progressive is the way to go, IMO

But doing some Research The Lee Classic 4 hole seems almost as Productive as any other Progressive out there...thoughts
Old January 25, 2009, 03:15 PM   #41
EICRtech

I can't give any useful/helpful info about the Lee.
I started out looking at Lee equipment, but since I am trying to make competition quality loads for my rifle, it was recommended to me that I choose to spend a bit more.
This is not to say that the Lee can't produce quality ammo, this is just to say that for my needs, I felt like a step up the food chain was the correct thing to do- this is only my opinion, not a recommendation to you.

Many people use Lee without complaints, others have only complaints.
While you won't produce the amount of ammo with a turret that you could obtain with a progressive, you should really keep a very close watch with a progressive to insure that while one function is taking place, you don't have an issue in another stage of the press. As a new reloader, I wanted to insure that I know exactly what is happening with every stroke of the ram.

How much ammo do you intend to produce per month?
I shoot quite a bit and find that the turret will keep me in ammo without too much problem. Of course I don't make ammo for anyone but myself.
I find the hand loading process to be theraputic for me instead of feeling like work.
With this being the case, a progressive was overkill for me since I don't mind spending a few hours each weekend to load ammo. Unless you are familiar with the progressives, or need to produce 1000's of rounds a month, it might be prudent to investigate the Lee or other turret type presses.
Having said that, I have almost as much into my equipment as I would have spent for a Dillon 650. Again, I felt the need to focus on one function at a time but have been extremely pleased with the results.
Good luck and be safe.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:36 PM   #42
barryhud

backorder

I have a Hornady LNL-ap back ordered from Midway since 1-7-09. Hornady have some changes on this press, if you wait for the backorder to be filled, you will get the new changes, if you pick one up from E Bay you probably will get the old model. Just my take on the situation. I did get powder, primers and brass last week in McAlster Ok. that I could not find on line.
Old January 26, 2009, 05:04 PM   #43
EyeBallChief

If you are in the Abilene Texas area, go to Abilene Indoor Firing Range. They have plenty of Dillon 550B and the Square Deal for almost the price Dillon offers them. They carry powder, primers and bullets as well. Their number is 325-698-4224. Ask for Josh
Old January 27, 2009, 05:04 AM   #44
Sparkies02

Crazyhorse89

Have you tried Midway USA yet, they still have a few presses left. What part of Texas are you from. I agree that the Brand is not important, just find what works for you, I personally own more Lee than anything else and have used them for over 25 years with no problem, Hornady also has good equipment for a reasonable price, I have serveral sets of their dies and they work really well.
Old January 27, 2009, 09:11 AM   #45
CrazyHorse89

I'm in Cypress, TX north Houston....10ring is out of EVERY press..

I will put my order in at MidwayUSA i suppose, now have narrowed it down to RCBS 2000 auto Progressive, Hornady LNL AP, or Dillon 650

Since nobody has one, I have spent some time building my REloading workbench...and building up my Sons Ruger 10/22 (I'll find a way to keep myself in the hobby, LOL)

ON side note, I'm noticing that most Build their Reloading Benches without cabinets above as NOT to obstruct tall Presses or the CAse feeders....

Thanks GUYS
Old January 27, 2009, 09:28 AM   #46
markr

I haven't tried to buy a press in the last 2 months, so I don't know. Is there some kind of country-wide press shortage? I keep getting catalouges in the mail with presses in them. Most recently, Natchez, and the Blue Press. What about Cabela's?

Washed up 11B1P