The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2018, 07:16 AM   #1
JeepHammer

Most Simple Gadget/Addition...?

We all have precision equipment, bought or made...

What is your most simple addition/upgrade?
From a rubber band here to a paper clip there...

Pictures if possible please...
Old June 17, 2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Nathan

I use a small vacuum to keep things clean....ebay tweezers to keep chunks out of the priming mechanism....I made a hook from a paper clip to install the primer slide return spring on my Hornady LNL! I also keep an optivisor with light handy.
Old June 17, 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
TJB101

Baseball cap brass catcher. Works great, especially on my Mini14 which launches brass into the next county.

Old June 17, 2018, 07:58 AM   #4
jmorris

I made a rest out of a scissor jack that makes things a lot easier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng39ce3Ii_w&t=5s

By a lot, I mean you can sight in a rifle in less than a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG13s1bj-jw
Old June 17, 2018, 08:02 AM   #5
daboone

This Pedestal Carousel made of 2 - 1 1/4in pipe flanges and one 10in (or 6"or 4") pipe (each fitting either NPT or NPS threads but do not mismatch) and a 7in x 1/4in aluminum (or wood or steel) disk. 7/8in holes drilled to accept desired number of PMs This stand picture was made of brass fittings because it's heaver but black pipe could be used. If the stand isn't going to be bolted down the pipe could be filled with lead if more weight is required. I haven't found either method necessary for my stand is quite stable.

The top flange's threads allow carousel motion thus any of the PMs can be screwed to the forward/backward position. An advantage of pipe threads adjustment ,to locate the PM's position, is rock solid stability, no tilting. This stand could be bolted to the bench but I've found that unnecessary thus making it easy to moved to some more remote part of the bench when not in use.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 17, 2018, 08:26 AM   #6
TXAZ

2 ounce rail mounted counter weight.
(Old mini laser with lead insert)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 17, 2018, 09:00 AM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

An S-hook and a 16 ounce fishing bank sinker to replace the chain on my Lee Pro Auto Disc powder measure on a progressive press. NO more ball chain to deal with. I can take it off or install it in a few seconds.
Old June 17, 2018, 09:51 AM   #8
JeepHammer

Dropping washers on powder to help even out powder throws comes to mind.
A couple washers duct taped together, with a string to get them out, dropped on the powder in the tube helped to even out powder charges.
Some powders just don't meter well, this is a 'Trick' that is cheap, effective and helps with most powders that don't like being dropped.
Old June 17, 2018, 10:31 AM   #9
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB101 View Post
Baseball cap brass catcher. Works great, especially on my Mini14 which launches brass into the next county.

Make sure nobody wears that cap. It is not good for you.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old June 17, 2018, 10:34 AM   #10
mikld

In '90 when I first encountered military primer crimps, a simple counter sink worked quite well. Still does...
Old June 17, 2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Pahoo

My two most recent !!

Quote:
We all have precision equipment, bought or made...
What is your most simple addition/upgrade?
I love to tinker and have made many tools. Well, I don't know about precision but will list two of my latest upgrades.

MADE;
Barrel wedge extractor tool for M/L's. Had some left over toilet bowl bolts. These are the ones that attach the water tank, to the bowl. They have a large slotted brass head. I ground a slot to form two claws that I can slip under the head of the wedge, for prying. I then ground the threaded end to a flat end punch that fits well into the escutcheon slot. When installing a wedge, I can also use the round head to help drive the wedge back in.

BOUGHT;
When working on the bench, there are times when small parts, take flight. Tired of crawling on the floor looking for them so I bought a magnet wand and just sweep the floor with this. You can even head the part when it hits the magnet. Actually bought one for the back shop when I do my dirty work and one for the gun bench. On my first sweep of my back shop I found an old mouse trap and no, it was empty. ……

TJB101

I like your brass-catcher and now I have to remember to take two caps to the range. ….

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 17, 2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old June 17, 2018, 04:32 PM   #12
RC20

Quote:
That is out of the box thinking!

My best is using the gun range carts to haul sandbags down to hold up the targets.

Guy says, that's good thinking, I told him, you get motivated by things like a ruptured disk!
Old June 17, 2018, 05:14 PM   #13
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Make sure nobody wears that cap. It is not good for you.

-TL

Did wash it out, thanks for the reminder ... it was my first attempt trying this ... it worked exceptionally well, even while standing ... a few fell out but at least they were straight down. Will dig a hat out that I can dedicate just for this usage
Old June 17, 2018, 06:31 PM   #14
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB101 View Post
Did wash it out, thanks for the reminder ... it was my first attempt trying this ... it worked exceptionally well, even while standing ... a few fell out but at least they were straight down. Will dig a hat out that I can dedicate just for this usage
It works all right. But beware of lead hazard. I saw people use their hats as baskets when they pick up their brass. Then they put the hats back on their heads. That's not good. Primer residue is compund lead. Pressing against bare skin and remain in the hair. Not kosher.

-TL

Old June 17, 2018, 06:52 PM   #15
LineStretcher

Ball Cap is a great idea.. That lead thing is just pure …. what was I saying, hum, can't remember now... LOL.. Yeah be careful or just use a paper or plastic bag with a handle it should work he same..
Old June 17, 2018, 07:50 PM   #16
RC20

I think the lead residue is more for punched primers. Little if any in the cap

It might kills some of us older guys in 500 years at worst. But then........
Old June 17, 2018, 08:31 PM   #17
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
I think the lead residue is more for punched primers. Little if any in the cap

It might kills some of us older guys in 500 years at worst. But then........
One may get really sick before he dies. Do what you please. I go mind my own business.

-TL

Old June 18, 2018, 08:27 AM   #18
egd

Sounds like someone is OSHA indoctrinated.
Old June 18, 2018, 10:16 AM   #19
JeepHammer

Well, this thread went off the rails quickly...
Old June 18, 2018, 11:20 AM   #20
FITASC

Since this is the reloading section, I took an old Kirkland dishwasher soap bucket and a $1 colander to sift my polishing/cleaning media. Colander sits perfectly inside the bucket for no spills
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 18, 2018, 12:44 PM   #21
Sevens

Haha, love the ballcap brass catcher!
Old June 18, 2018, 01:08 PM   #22
sigshepardo

I use a simple loop of paracord burned together to keep my press handle from falling down when somebody bumps it.

Also have been using a rubber washer in place of the crush washer on my AR. Works surprisingly well
Old June 18, 2018, 01:10 PM   #23
marchboom

Light holder for Dillon 550B

Here is my version of a light used to check the powder dumped into the case. The light is from Cabela's ($10), uses an AAA battery and has a flexible neck. I used a 2x4 block, drilled 2 holes then used a band saw to cut it right down the middle and thru the holes. Drilled another hole in the center. Used a small bolt (5/32) and wing nut to hold the 2 halves together and to adjust the clamping force. This attaches to the primer tube shield and allows for adjustment to get the light exactly where you want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7D2_3395.JPG (191.2 KB, 72 views)
RSO
Old June 18, 2018, 01:16 PM   #24
marchboom

Returning to powder charge setting

To return to a prior powder charge setting on my Dillon 550B I use a calipers to measure the powder cavity of the charge bar. After playing with the charge bar to get the desired powder weight, I remove the charge bar and measure the cavity. This measurement is documented with the other load data for the respective cartridge along with the powder charge weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7D2_3402.JPG (200.1 KB, 54 views)
RSO
Old June 19, 2018, 06:07 PM   #25
308Loader

marchboom, brilliant! what is the black tube made of?