The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 14, 2018, 08:03 AM   #1
bernie

Thinking about a Commander in the near future

For years I used a Colt Government Model as my concealed carry piece. However, that is now gone and I have carried a .38 for several years now due to a number of factors. I am thinking about getting another .45 in the near future and I really would like a steel framed Commander. Not with a 4" barrel, to me that is not a commander, but one with a 4.25" barrel. I cannot drop a lot of money on it, so I am looking for something on the lower end of the spectrum. Also, I live in a hot, humid environment, so high corrosion resistance is something that I will be considering. What is out there readily available these days. I have been somewhat out of the loop on this the last few years.
Old June 14, 2018, 08:21 AM   #2
pete2

Not the best gun but reasonably priced and a great shooter, the Ruger CMD. A little heavy for carry for me tho. I prefer the lightweight commanders.
Old June 14, 2018, 09:32 AM   #3
jr24

Piles of choice out there today.

Me, personally, for under $1K I'd go with Ruger and if you want to go over $1K I'd go all the way up to a Dan Wesson. You can find Guardians and Valkyries (if you want the short grip) for good prices these days, still kicking myself for not snatching up a used Guardian (looked almost unfired) for $850 a while back, but I have the VBob and the wife wouldn't have bought my "good price" argument.

I have also recently had good experience with Kimber (though many dont, you're peobably better off with a different brand) Remington, Sig, Colt, RIA, and S&W.

I think Colts are a bit over priced foe what you get these days, but they are still solid and classic.
Old June 14, 2018, 09:39 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

The Combat Commander is a steel frame. The SS version is the Wiley Clapp model at an MSRP of $1399. About half that on Gunbroker. All of 'em come with a 4.25" barrel. Commanders have always had a 4.25" barrel.
Old June 14, 2018, 10:40 AM   #5
RickB

4.25" guns aren't as popular as they used to be.
Most makers seem to like nice, round numbers.

The "lower end" of the market today is dominated by products from the Philippines.
Old June 14, 2018, 11:57 AM   #6
tallball

You're about to get married?
Old June 14, 2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca

Colt offers four Commander models that are under $1k MSRP, which means the street price should be between $800 and $850.

https://www.colt.com/series/COMMANDER_SERIES

Rock Island "MS" (mid-size) models now have 4-1/4" barrels, and are priced well below $1k.
Old June 14, 2018, 10:27 PM   #8
tlm225

Ruger LWT CMD. Stainless slide, aluminum frame, 4.25 barrel.
Old June 15, 2018, 11:58 AM   #9
amprecon

After two disappointing experiences with full-size SA 1911's, when I decided to try 1911's again I went the Commander size, I had settled on a DW but just could not justify the cost of one for any pistol.

I went with the original, a Colt, the all-steel Combat Commander and I love it. I got mine for ~$850, I added Novak night sights a metal arched mainspring housing and a Wilson trigger. It is the way I want it now and it shoots good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-02-24 11.22.04a.jpg (134.0 KB, 19 views)
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old June 16, 2018, 04:06 AM   #10
PushPuller

Quote:
I went with the original, a Colt, the all-steel Combat Commander and I love it. I got mine for ~$850, I added Novak night sights a metal arched mainspring housing and a Wilson trigger. It is the way I want it now and it shoots good.
I have virtually the exact same gun! Mine has ran like a top from the box but a modest trigger job is recommended. I love mine!
Old June 16, 2018, 08:03 AM   #11
Charlie_98

I've had a stainless Kimber Pro Eclipse II for about 15 years... it's a great carry piece... except for the weight. I finally gave it up and retired it, in lieu of a poly 9mm. You might want to rethink that 'steel-frame' bit.

Last year I bought a nice, used Kimber Pro Carry... same configuration as my Eclipse but with the alloy frame (and carbon steel slide.) MUCH easier to carry! Coupled with a good, quality belt and holster, I'm now carrying it once in a while. I think the weight difference was around 10oz, which doesn't seem like that much... but it makes a difference at the end of the day after toting it around.

I'm not necessarily recommending the Kimber, although my 2 examples have been 100%, more like the alloy frame Commander configuration. My sweat is almost acidic... I've eaten the finish off my Browning HiPower grip frame, for example, which is why I went stainless initially. For a carry piece, I think the alloy is a much better option.