The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Marlin X7 Firing pin spring replacement

I have been dealing with light firing pin strikes on my X7. I have tried the simple stuff, like primer seating depth, head space, cleaning the firing pin assembly without disassembling the firing pin assembly. Still have rhe same issue. Reasearch on the various forums (espcially the Marlin Owners Forum) all boils down to a weak spring. It is a common problem, and others have replaced the spring and fixed the issue. The Wolfe heavy firing pin spring for short action Remington 700 is an identical fit. Simple, right?

So I have searched far and wide to find some kind of tutorial that goes into detail, step by step, what tools are needed, and how to accomplish this task successfully. Nothing. Nada. Nary a mention of Marlin X7 Firing spring replacement "how to." It looks like a trip to the gunsmith is my answer, but before caving in and admitting defeat, this is my last resort.

Any helpful information is greatly appreciated. Bear in mind, I have been through the rigmarole of the above mentioned suggestions--primer seating, headspace, etc.

Thanks!
Old December 20, 2018, 08:12 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

You know... I've had a metric ton of X7s. But I don't think I ever disassembled a bolt.
I'll pull out the sole remaining X7, if I remember later, and take a look.
Old December 20, 2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

Thanks, Frankenmauser. I had the bolt apart today, and being slow on the uptake about these things, didn't see how it could be done without a firing pin compression tool. There is a good video on disassembling a Rem 700 bolt, but as mentioned, specific instructions would be my preference.
Old December 21, 2018, 02:12 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I finally got a chance to look at that bolt.
And, yea...
I didn't even want to attempt to disassemble the striker. That spring has some decent tension, and that long, skinny, pointy end adds complication.

It looks to me like Marlin probably assembled them with a compression tool that goes over the tip and slips into the groove behind the spring.
I'm still not sure how I would approach this one.

How'd you like those fine, left-handed threads? I wasn't expecting that...
Old December 21, 2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Colorado Redneck

Ha! Yeah, that can be surprising...luckily GoogleFoo turned up a video on how to do that. It's my guess that this will be a gun smith fix. Which is better than messing up that little gun.
Thanks for checking that out and your thoughts. I kinda needed validation on this problem. Have a Merry Christmas!
Old December 26, 2018, 10:32 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Disassembled the firing pin mechanism. Took me about 10 tries to get it back together so it worked. I was starting to have ugly thoughts about the people that manufactured this rifle. Anyway, now a new firing pin spring is on order. I am hoping that cures this problem.
Old December 27, 2018, 02:34 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I was starting to have ugly thoughts about the people that manufactured this rifle.
Feel free to do so. My mother-in-law assembled X7 bolts and trigger groups, and Model 60 trigger groups, after Remington moved production to Mayfield, KY.
I have ugly thoughts about her (and most of her friends from Mayfield) on a daily basis...
Old December 27, 2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Colorado Redneck

I had a mother-in-law like that. Had is the key word.

I ordered the Wolfe spring. It's enjoyable to fiddle with guns, but my big worry, when treading new ground, is if I am going to ruin the gun. If the project doesn't go well it becomes an obsession till its finally resolved. Here I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxing....
Old January 10, 2019, 11:03 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

Got the new spring installed

Disassembled the unit, with some tooth gnashing and foul language. Reassembley was worse. But admittedly this kind of job is not my bailiwick. One thing that is a mystery is a part was nonexistent. On the drawing, # 21 wasn't there. Even more interesting, there was no hole for that pin in part number 18. The picture of that assembled shows a pin through the cocking mechanism and the threaded end of part 18 that screws into the cocking assembly. Kind of a head scratcher.

After it was all back together it fired 15 primed cases without a hiccup and made nice distinct primer strikes. Unlike the misfires with the factory spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190110_204959.jpg (24.5 KB, 75 views)
Old January 10, 2019, 11:08 PM   #10
Colorado Redneck

The phantom pin in the phantom hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190110_211325.jpg (17.9 KB, 93 views)