The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2018, 07:09 AM   #1
NvrGiveUp

Alternative to PowerPistol

I need to load some more 9mm rounds and am out of PowerPistol powder. What's worse is that NO ONE in my "local" area has it in stock. It isn't important enough for me to pay HazMat shipping fees to get it. Sooooo, I thought I'd ask y'all and see if anyone has a suggestion for 9mm powder (other than PP) for 115gr. Rainier plated w/WSP primers. Thanks in advance!
Old August 7, 2018, 07:15 AM   #2
joed

Universal. Almost identical to Unique but better metering. But I'm a big fan of PP, have been from the first time I used it.
Old August 7, 2018, 08:11 AM   #3
FITASC

Universal, Unique, Titegroup, Bullseye, Win 231, Win WST, Green Dot, Clays, ClayDot; and a host of others.........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 7, 2018, 08:27 AM   #4
markr6754

HP-38, VV 3N37 or N330, Silhouette. I’ve also shot N320 and WST. Not sure what you’re looking to do...but these all push 115gr Plated RN quite well.
Old August 7, 2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Why don't you list what you can get and we will tell you which we prefer.
Doesn't matter if Acme 42.is best if you can't find it either.
Old August 7, 2018, 10:33 AM   #6
BBarn

I would rate BE-86, HS-6, CFE Pistol, and AA#5 fairly close to Power Pistol in terms of burning rate and smooth dispensing through a powder measure. IME other powders are further away in burning rate or dispense more erratically through a powder measure.

If something a little faster is OK, W231 or Sport Pistol might be good choices. If something slower is preferred instead, perhaps AA#7.

I'm sure there are other good powders, but those are my suggestions based on what I've actually used.
Old August 7, 2018, 01:37 PM   #7
gwpercle

Try AA #5
Also Unique or Universal .

Back before the great powder shortage I reloaded everything with Bullseye, Unique and 2400. Then they disappeared. Forced me to buy whatever the dealer had on the shelf......700X, HP38 , Red Dot , Titegroup, AA #2 , AA #5...these and a few other new powders I had never tried . This opened up my eye's to many good powders that could be used in place of my old standby's . The Accurate Arms Powders are quite impressive.
So don't be afraid to try some new powders...it could pay off well .

Unique is still a favorite in 9mm Luger .
Gary
Old August 7, 2018, 01:41 PM   #8
FITASC

Most shotgun powders will work well in a lot of handgun cartridges in this range
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 7, 2018, 04:01 PM   #9
AVirginian

CFE Pistol for me. I bought some Power Pistol but it created a GIANT fireball compared to CFE Pistol. Give it a go, you may like it.
Old August 7, 2018, 04:10 PM   #10
zxcvbob

My favorite is probably Bullseye, even tho' I load them kind of hot.

Herco should be a good 9mm powder, except it's so bulky I don't know if there's enough room in the case for a full charge.
Old August 7, 2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Another vote for AA#5.

It's not quite as spunky as Power Pistol so your bullets won't go quite as fast.

But considering you're using plated 115's, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Power Pistol than me. But in your application, I'd lean toward AA#5 anyway. I think it's better suited here.
Old August 7, 2018, 06:21 PM   #12
the Black Spot

Blue dot
Old August 7, 2018, 06:27 PM   #13
pete950

BE86 its power pistol with out the flash
Old August 7, 2018, 06:30 PM   #14
rc

Universal Clays is going to produce some of the most consistent velocities. It may not max out as high as power pistol but it is a fantastic powder for 9mm and 40 cal. rc
Old August 7, 2018, 08:59 PM   #15
Dufus

My vote goes to VV N340. It gives very good load density, shoots clean, and no fireball at all.....even at night.
Old August 7, 2018, 09:26 PM   #16
J.G. Terry

Another vote for AAC #5

Another vote for AAC #5: I have been using #5 with 125gr. cast bullets in 9mm. You should not have any problem with #5. Loads run very well in my 1911 clone. I like PP in 10mm and 40 S&W. To date its not be loaded into the revolver rounds. I don't know about the muzzle flash with PP. It's been no problem for me.
Old August 7, 2018, 10:55 PM   #17
Nick_C_S

Quote:
BE86 its power pistol with out the flash
Yes. BE86 is flash suppressed Power Pistol. But the flash suppressant also slightly changes its characteristics. BE86 has a slightly faster burn rate than PP - probably putting it close to AA#5. Might be a good thing for our OP. For clarity, Power Pistol and BE86 load data are NOT interchangeable - they are two different propellants.

Quote:
To date (I have not) loaded (Power Pistol) into the revolver rounds.
Power Pistol works great in revolver rounds. Makes superb pull-throttle 38+P's; and even better "just short of full-magnum" 357 rounds - especially with lighter bullets.

Quote:
I don't know about the muzzle flash with PP. It's been no problem for me.
Power Pistol is undeniably flashy. But it isn't a problem with me either. Muzzle flash is a non-issue for all my applications.
Old August 9, 2018, 07:58 AM   #18
PhillySoldier

Ive switched from Power Pistol to CFE Pistol. Both are great powders but in my ransom rest testing the CFE outperforms it slightly as well as in my opinion is much smoother to shoot and with less flash
Old August 9, 2018, 12:07 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

The "Rainier plated" part is important. Plated bullets are not jacketed. Been using Bullseye with cast 121 grain bullets for eons. However, you're going to have to work up a load with the powder you can get.
"...to pay HazMat shipping fees ..." Always best to buy components locally for that reason. HazMat fees are on top on the shipping though.
Old August 9, 2018, 12:47 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Now you tell me. I just paid hazmat on scarce Federal 100 primers and today found some at a nearby store. So I bought some more.
Old August 9, 2018, 05:20 PM   #21
Rangerrich99

Bullseye, CFEPistol, Titegroup and Power Pistol with Berry's and Rocky Mountain 115 gr. FBRN plated.
Old August 10, 2018, 10:24 AM   #22
kmw1954

If looking for a direct replacement for Power Pistol I am unable to recommend as I have not used Power Pistol. The closest I have come I would believe are either AA#5 or Ramshot Silhouette. Of which I just bought 2 more pounds and most likely will not replace the AA#5 when it is gone. The Ramshot, for me anyways is the most consistent I've found in 380, 9mm and 45acp and overlaps a lot with AA#5.
Old August 13, 2018, 01:21 PM   #23
evtSmtx

IME be-86 is just power pistol with a flash suppressant which dampens joy a bit but works super fine as does PP
Old August 13, 2018, 05:09 PM   #24
Bubbau

I used Unique for years and had no problems. I have switched to Power Pistol but always have a good supply of Unique on hand just in case.
Old August 13, 2018, 10:32 PM   #25
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I have switched to Power Pistol but always have a good supply of Unique on hand just in case.
Me too. But instead, I simply have a good supply of Power Pistol on hand - just in case .